OLD vs. NEW: JBL 2216 (LE15B) vs JBL 2216ND-1 in L200s

nedseg

AKA: L200s in the 21st century - or "M200"s?!!

Short story long, sorry.

What follows is simply my stumbling attempts to improve my JBL L200s - I have a strong background in electronics, but just got sick of it after 15yrs or so of 'bench time', and moved on. As it turns out, I didn't have to fire up a soldering iron at all in my quest! (So far:)

So. When I retired 3yrs ago, I got curious about my ancient L200s, which were modified by JBL techs in the 70s to add the N8000 crossovers and 077s, so have been 3-ways for decades.

I quickly discovered many had worked on improvements to these speakers over the years, most notably for the woofers (though mine were still in great shape.)

The bass response had always 'bugged' me, partly from listening, and partly from many other negative comments I'd read. To their credit, they do 'woody' very nicely, IMO. :) I still like them for what they are.

At the same time, I wasn't all that enamored with the recommended 2235 replacement, I'd heard 'em once I think (maybe), and thought they were too costly (used!) for what I wanted to achieve.
Then I started reading rave threads about the M2, then DIY M2s, then the 4367, and began to get crazy ideas in my head. Then someone said something about a '15' drivers in a 5cu ft box' in the M2 DIY thread...and I was OFF.

Today, after 3 years of reading, taking many notes, much thinking and pondering, and following the breadcrumbs of others far more knowlegable and experienced than I, I've landed on what I think of as the "perfect" L200s.
More on that in a moment...

First, many thanks to Alobar, with whom I have had many diverse conversations about this challenge.
Also, to SRM51555 (Scott, who started the DIY M2 thread over on LH) for inviting me into his home for extended listening sessions of his 2216ND M2 clones, which confirmed my 'suspicions' about M2 = 'bass done right'...AND his ongoing support, technical knowledge and encouragement/patience to 'proceed, already'! (His 'M2's are freaking amazing!!)

And of course it's not possible to thank enough the other JBL greats who have posted on this and many diverse and related topics over the years! (Just finished reading a thread dated 2006, and still gaining insight!).

Zilch (RIP) of course, and Toddalin, the L200 magician, and Heather, the indefatigable experimenter, Mr. Widget...and so many many other super experts here and over at LH!!
Thanks so much for sharing!!
I think I've accumulated something like 20 pages of notes and links that I kept pouring over like clues to a murder mystery!

And also, sort of 'in remembrance'; the great folks at the JBL dealership in town that held my hand through so many upgrades and amp choices - no longer in business, sadly.

So. What?

Bottom line:
I replaced one of the original LE15B (2216) 15" woofers with a new 2216ND-1 as used in the 4367s, and the result Absolutely Blows My Mind!!
(More on that in a bit.)

Eventually, I determined an upgrade path that I could 'buy' up to, slowly as funds permitted, and allowed/hoped for 'cheapest things first' might get me there' (nope).
All told, this has been a nearly 3 year project, mostly funding limited!

I actually bought a spare pair of very nice used LE15Bs, thinking perhaps of having them reconed and re-mag'd, but of course right after they arrived, the 'M2 woofer' light bulb went on!

Here's how I went about it:

Step 1) Passive Bi-amp.
I split the connection between the original LX16 and N8000s (MF+HF), and drove them with separate amps.
Slight, but barely noticeable improvement.
However, at this stage, I confirmed (via REW) that at least one of the orginal LX16s was not funtioning correctly, so I simply removed them from the circuit and drove the LE15Bs directly from the amp. This also added more slight improvement, but probably not worth the cost of the extra new amp.

Step 2) Active Bi-amp w/electronic crossovers.
I chose the dbx Venu 360 - largely thanks to the enthusiastic posts by 'NCWGrad' over on LH.

(About this time I also stumbled upon a dirt cheap, nearly unused 4645C subwoofer (thinking maybe That would 'solve' my bass dilemna - well, No. But it did get me Other Goodnesses:)

The Venu 360 provides 3 inputs and 6 outputs - one more than I needed - and has an app that runs on just about every OS, in addition to many addtional features.
That app allows for real time changes in crossovers and PEQ/GEQ/EQ settings, making it very easy to hear changes made 'live', and for taking many REW samples (too many, really).
It also has it's own RTA mic and autoeq functions...helpful in 'verifying' REW results.
Otherwise, it's kind of gross overkill, but what the heck...has many pretty dancing lights, too!!

Running it on a Win10 tablet, Wifi to the Venu, is a real hoot - nothing like dragging curves around with your fingers until it 'hertz' (hah hah!).

I crossed the LE15B over at 30hz and 1000hz to the N8000 (horn and 077).

This, along with a handful of REW & Venu determined PEQs, made for some pretty nice improvements - at this point, while the bass still wasn't the 'tight and deep' I wanted, as a whole it did start to sound pretty dang good.

Step 3) Replace the LE15B with a new 2216ND-1.

I knew from pictures and discussions with Scott, that the 2216ND-1 was likely going to be a pretty good 'fit' in the L200 baffle hole, and thought 'maybe' it wouldn't take too much routering to get it in there.
Boy was I pleased, when the thing arrived, and it just dropped right in place!
Same screw holes (even re-installed the orginal screws and o-ring!).
Granted, it's surface mounted, rather than recessed, as in the M2 or 4367, but what the heck...it's not like the L200 has anything close to a non-reflective baffle setup!

Total upgrade time for the swap out of one speaker? Maybe 5 minutes. :)
(After 3 GD years of planning, thinking through the 'what if it goes wrong' Plan Bs,Cs, etc, and agonizing over the expense -- what, really, 5 minutes??)

So far, I've only had the funds to upgrade one cabinet, but in a way it's useful, as I get to compare the differences every time I listen!! And I've been doing a LOT of listening - it's like discovering all my favorite music all over again!

What are the results?

I spent a lot of time in my 20s with 4355s and L300s, and have to admit that my first thought was: 'L300 killers!!'

Ok, so that's hyperbole, but really, the improvement is nothing short of astonishing.

I'd say these very nearly match the bass performance of Scott's DIY M2s - way better, in fact, than was my wildest hope - I would have been very happy with even minor improvements.

And even with the orginal short horn, this now seems to me to be cleaner & deeper than I remember L300s ever being.
Very tight, very deep, crossed over at 30hz, and they do in fact go that deep - cleanly and very smoothly. Astounding.

What really amazed me however - and was totally unexpected - was the equally dramatic improvement in the lower midrange, and even the perception of the upper MF & HF!
It's as if it somehow smoothed out the horn and 077 response while it was 'at it'.
(I left my previously developed PEQs for that range unchanged.)
Huh.

The effect on female vocalists (Toddalin has written at some length about this) was to 'open up' the sound, and to clarify and 'de-harshify' voices and other instruments in that range. Added 'precision'?
Well, 'tinkly stuff' sounds clearer and less harsh, than ever before. Lovely.

Given that these are crossed to the N8000 at 1khz in the Venu, I'm a little puzzled by the range of the improvements - I speculate that I'm now hearing fundamental tones that have harmonics in upper ranges that were not 'assembled' properly before? Guessing.
(I've run the crossover from 800hz to 1.2khz, and could not distinguish any great differences, oddly enough. Gain setting changes however, were very noticeable. I've left it at 1khz, for now.)

It's very much as if I have a brand new speaker, and I continue to listen in depth nearly every day discovering new notes, instruments, and timbre's that I'd never heard before.

Oh, and one other dramatic improvement - imaging.
I now get (even with just one!) a very clear stereo image, which previously was pretty murky.
I have an 8 channel system, which I tended to listen to in simulated surround mode (Neo 6) in order to get a 'better', 'more fun' image (I just happen to have a pretty non-reflective room, too.)

With just this one woofer upgraded, I now get a much cleaner, sharper image than anything but DSD/Bluray multichannel tracks, and now listen primarily in stereo mode again.
Perhaps due to 'warned of' 'beaming' of the 2216ND-1 above 700 hz? Maybe.

Final thoughts/caveats:

- My goal has just been to make these 'sound as good as I knew they could' - I'm not looking for perfection, or the ideal speaker, by any means. It's just 'what I had' and have been lugging around for 40+ years, and just really liked them. Pet turtles? Jurassic Park? New DNA sure works, in this case!
At this point, I think I'm Done. (Well, one more ND-1 to go.)
Time to just relax and Play Music, which is all I ever really wanted - don't really care who has the biggest or prettiest amp, or fanciest setup (tho I can appreciate them!)...I Just Like Music.

But...I do wonder what a new (Toddalin!) crossover paired with a 4367 LF crossover (~$300 ea!) might sound like, esp with a high quality DAC and no DSP (the Venu is a 96k DSP).

- While I have been taking REW measurements close mic'd and at listening distances, the initial results for the new woof are so flat and clean that I've chosen to not apply any PEQs in the 30-1khz region, and am so stonkered by the results that I'm not hugely incentivized to do a lot more measurements...but probably will, someday.
I'd expected to have to apply the DIY M2 PEQs that had been developed by others, but...nope, not so far...may do it someday for kicks, but most of them are pretty small, actually.

- Ports. I ran some calculations, and found the existing ones appear to be tuned for pretty close to 30hz, so I just left them both open. I tried closing one off, and it lessened the depth of the bass response. I was concerned that might be a major issue. Not.

- Subwoofer: I now have the 4645C 'band passed' at 25hz to 45hz...that's a LOT of cabinet & amp for just 20hz of 'coverage', but it does go slightly deeper (if not as 'sharply') than the 2216ND-1, and definitely can go LOUDER...great for SLAMS!!
But, strictly speaking, not really still necessary, other than for special instruments, electronics, organ, and moovies:)

- I can't wait to do the other one, but funds are extremely tight this year, so may have to wait until fall.

- Anybody wanna buy some nice, gently used LE15Bs? I have two spare pairs!! <grin>

Hope this helps other L200 aficionados out there!

PS. Now I have to wonder what one of these might sound like in an L300:):yikes:

2216ND installed.JPG _1020639 SM.JPG _1020634 SM.JPG _1020625 R SM.JPG

Pretty tough to top your description of this driver! I'm as blown away as you with the deep bass and clarity well up in the mid ranges. I'm hearing details in the music I listen to on a regular basis that only were hinted at with my Sennheiser HD 579 headphones. There is now music within the music you could say!

While I went ahead and ordered 2 of these drivers after hearing nedseg's account, we had discussed these at length for months so I had pretty much decided this was going to be my big 2018 upgrade before I had heard his first impressions. So glad I did!

In several ways nedseg is much further along with this upgrade than I am even though he hasn't gotten the second ordered yet. He has already bi-amped his L200s while I'm still running the original crossover which isn't the best match for the 2216Nd. I'm trying to decide between 3 or 4 different crossovers right now that should be better suited including an L300 crossover as well as the Nelson Pass version, and even the L200B crossover

Right now I have just used REW and Holm to get some initial PEQ's to tame things a bit but there's a lot of work ahead. Even with that, right out of the box this driver upgrade has made these speakers sound so much better than before and if I don't do another thing to them I would be happy enough..

IMG_20180702_210858.jpg IMG_20180704_103619.jpg IMG_20180704_104526.jpg

Very inspiring guys ( if not way-way too enabling for an ancient JBL user like me ).

Lord knows I don't need more woofers in my life, but its quite apparent this technology is something very special !

:)
Yeah it has been a real eye opener for me.. $1200 plus shipping certainly isn't small change to me for such an old speaker but the gains I'm hearing even with the mismatched crossover made it well worth it for me. At this point I could never sell these beings I live so far off the beaten path so decided I am going to make them all that they can be now and enjoy em from here on out!

Where would you place the 136A (in the L200B) in the LE15B to 2216ND-1 spectrum? I.e., what returns to someone who installs the 2216ND-1 into a pair of L200Bs?

Where would you place the 136A (in the L200B) in the LE15B to 2216ND-1 spectrum? I.e., what returns to someone who installs the 2216ND-1 into a pair of L200Bs?
Wouldn't venture a guess as I haven't heard a pair of 200B's but I have read it was a substantial improvement over the original L200's like mine with the LE15B's. One thing that could be an issue with the L200 B model is it has just one port whereas the L200A has 2 which I understand happen to be very close in diameter and length to the 4367 which the 2216Nd1 was designed for.

Others here will know a lot more about the L200->B->L300 evolution. I did hear them back in the day, but have no strong recollection of how they sounded, probably b/c by then mine were 3 ways already.

True, the single port would limit the bass extension on the ND-1s, but
a) they'd still sound 'acres' better than the old ones, and
b) it ain't that hard to cut new a new hole and add a 4"x7" tube :)
I'd say go for it if the entrance fee is within reach.

Thanks Earl and Audiohack! - yah, pretty amazing for 'old dogs' like these to get up and bark again!
With the new foam grills, and freshly sanded and oiled veneer, they look amazingly original too!

The thing that absolutely snagged me into doing this was the simple discovery that the pro designation for the LE15B was 2216, and that JBL had chosen to name the M2 woofers 2216NDs!!

I took that both as kind of a hint, and maybe an internal JBL 'nod' to the original, almost as if to say, 'well that first one wasn't as great as we'd have liked it to be, so here's our 'second' take on it!!' <grin>
Corporate lore can be fun stuff to dig into, sometimes, even if rampantly speculative.

Anyway, even given all that, I was still just astounded when I confirmed that the mounting flange diameter and bolt hole patterns were an exact match to the LE15Bs.
Alobar and Scott and I continue to send each other 'great new discoveries in music listening' by the way:)
One of my favorite 'examples' is still Patricia Barber's Café Blue (Unmastered), esp Mourning Grace...played LOUD.
Enjoy!!

You forgot to mention that the 2216Nd (and -1) has a very nice 1 piece rubber gasket on the front instead of 4 (8?) cork gasket pieces and the metal frame. Countersink the frame into the baffle properly and the overhang on the gasket covers the gap making for a down-right sexy look :thumbsup:

One other comment....PAINT THE FRICKEN' SCREW HEADS BLACK :p

Yes! (There are pages of details like that that I 'forgot' to mention - Google Is Your Friend!:)
Originally I was going to route out the baffle for a flush fit, but when I found it would just drop in, I went with Simple.
Interesting to compare manufacturing characteristics between old and new; sort of '73 Caddy vs. 2019 Honda?
The ND almost looks as if it were 'grown' rather than cast, machined and hand assembled by humans.

Yah, I know, but the thing is, those screws are original to the LE15B, and still as shiny and 'smooth runnin' as new, so why invest in modern Black Chrome versions to match the new woof? <grin>
Hah. Just occurred to me that doing the research on these was a little like being The Investigator (Miller) on The Expanse.
Even ends with some pretty alien looking tech! :rflmao:
Thanks!

so why invest in modern Black Chrome versions to match the new woof?

To match the screws in the cute little LSR 305, of course :)

I have a red pair but the cat hasn't figured out how to get on the shelf next to them.

Ah. Of course. Like this? :)
IMG_20180309_145442837 LSR 305 Grillz.jpg
Now slightly better protected...
This cat gets around...(Nuforce and Brauns hidden in there)
IMG_20180610_071439014_LL Rio Bookshelf CC cr.jpg

....Also, to SRM51555 (Scott, who started the DIY M2 thread over on LH) for inviting me into his home for extended listening sessions of his 2216ND M2 clones, which confirmed my 'suspicions' about M2 = 'bass done right'...AND his ongoing support, technical knowledge and encouragement/patience to 'proceed, already'! (His 'M2's are freaking amazing!!)

Thank you for the kind words.

What I think is best about these woofers and the original 2216nd's is that they provided so much discussion between JBL enthusiasts on every topic one could talk about.Through this I have made friends internationally, nationally and locally. When something like this brings people of different nations together it is truly something special. The same can be said about other audio mfg as well, I just happen to like all things Lansing (and McIntosh).

They are pretty awesome for the record.

Thanks,
Scott

PS. Update: Now that the woofs have 'burned in' I've lowered the crossover from 30 to 20hz. They do it.

PS. Update: Now that the woofs have 'burned in' I've lowered the crossover from 30 to 20hz. They do it.
Okay! I'm going to set it at that too then as soon as my second amp gets here and I can finally fire up the Mini DSP.. I'll bet these could be felt at the bottom of my footings!

I had a chance to listen to these this weekend and agree with the listening impressions in the first post. Already having a pair of 2216nd's I mostly knew what to expect from them and they performed as they should, but what surprised me the most was the DSP'd LE15B. Having never heard an older woofer with DSP it was a good example of what Greg Timbers has stated before about being able to get an older woofer the sound it's best.

In the past few days I have got my second amp hooked up and am now running my L200's biamped with a MiniDSP 2x4HD and this has taken the 2216Nd1's to a new level! The detail in the music has really been an ear opening experience for me, and for the first time I am now getting deep low bass that the old LE15Bs just couldn't accomplish.

It has all been a fun experiment and while a bit expensive, has more or less made what I have now close to the end game for me as far as equipment upgrades are concerned.

Fascinating thread.
I built new cabs for my L200 (because of damp damage). I rebuilt the L16A +N8000 and added the 2405 s to go three-way, but the result has been quite disappointing.
The LE 15B is not up to scratch, and i dont think much of that XO design.
I have bought 2235s but they are with a friend in Los Angeles somewhere and with all this Covid thing I do not know when I will get them !
(I am in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia, but I am patient , and will not be looking for the 2216 ND1 ! ).
I have looked at Nelson Pass's XO but I am more inclined to go fully active and digital.

What would be the minimum I need re the digital part?
I see MiniDSP 2 x 4HD and Venu 360 mentioned above .
Re amplification I am a fan of the TPA amps .
I have been messing around with TPA 3255 and have just got a little 3250, which should be fine for the LE85s and 2405s.
Advice would be most welcome.

@highcut28 :
Did you clone the L200 cabinet 'exactly' or just build same sized ones?
I built an equipment rack L200 'clone' cabinet, and found it was a lot trickier than I'd expected (the nose trim pieces, in particular)!

FWIW, the regular M2 2216 NDs (as opposed to the ND-1s that Alobar and I have used) are cheaper and more readily available, and I suspect shipping them wouldn't be that much of a problem (not sure where they are made nowadays...might even be local to you??!)...can't say for sound differences, but expect they'd be very minor compared to the dramatic improvement over the 15Bs or 2235s.

As to DSP, there are LOTS of choices, and very little hard tech measurements to compare them (as well as your system design - 2 channel, 2.1, multi-channel?)
The Venu specs seem to be near the top of the field, and I have a preference for it, but certainly there are other good choices.
The miniDSPs with inbuilt Dirac are certainly interesting.

Re: the Venu360.
I recently made a major upgrade to PC/NUC/JRiver driving an OktoDAC Pro (with predictable gob-smacking results).
This combination is very good, as the OktoDAC has Ch1/2 analog outputs mirrored to AES 1&2, and the Venu accepts that just fine.
This means I'm bypassing the Venu's ADC circuitry for Ch1&2.
A Good Thing, I'd argue?
PS. I've had excellent experiences with phone calls to Harman/dBX tech support.

Otherwise, the choice of DSP is a matter of 'spec matching' to the rest of your system; if you have a very high spec DAC, then I'd suggest looking for DSP that matches it.

BTW (there are SO MANY options!) using a multi-channel DAC (like Okto) and a PC for DSP/xovers for a fully active 3 way system would be a great way to go....maybe even cheaper? (For a stereo or 2.1 system, anyway; I have a 7.1 system, and use the Venu downstream of the DAC for L200/sub xovers and roomEQ).

Check out the looong threads on ASR about the OktoDAC for more info on that.
There are some who are even going down the path of chaining two OktoDACs together via AES for multi-way, multi-channel systems!
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...d-measurements-of-okto-dac8-8ch-dac-amp.7064/

Crossovers:
I prefer to 'believe' that the N8000 is the 'best' way to go for the MF/HF, but if I didn't already have them I'd sure be looking at what Alobar did very closely!
Also, there are some very interesting hints about a new NP designed crossover system in the works here:
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulle...RESS-Bombshell&p=430022&viewfull=1#post430022

Amps: no real suggestions here; the TPAs are probably fine.
The only observation I have for that is that (for the N8000 MF/HF (horns/077s), I have swapped out a Crown DC75A for a Bryston 2B, and, somewhat unexpectedly, the Bryston sounds quite a bit smoother.
For the longer term (and keeping in mind the TOTL DAC performance I now have), I'm keeping an eye on the newer Purifi amp builds....
:)

Stay safe, and best wishes - these "L300 killers" sure are very surprising in what they can do - I now basically consider myself to be near the end of my 'audio game' finally
(after 40+ years!)
Enjoy!

@highcut28 :
Stay safe, and best wishes - these "L300 killers" sure are very surprising in what they can do - I now basically consider myself to be near the end of my 'audio game' finally
(after 40+ years!)
Enjoy!

Then you don't want to listen to the Mermans. I don't even listen to my L200/300s any more. There is just no comparison.

Would love to try the ND 2216s, but they don't usually show on C/L and I would need three. Wouldn't be much problem to sell off the AlNiCo "2235s."

Back
Top Bottom