Onkyo TX-822 "audio mute" problem

baltomojoe

I have this receiver, and there is no sound, at all, the display panel has the "audio mute" lit up, the unit originally came with a remote, which I don't have, and there is no mute buttons or switches on the unit itself, seems to only be controled through the remote. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions on how to shut it off? turning off the unit and unplugging it doesn't have an effect.

You need the remote to turn the mute off. Shitty design, lots of receivers have the mute button only on the remote, Got knows why. It may be possible to perform a reset. There is a supercap or battery somewhere that provides memory backup for the microprocessor. If you can find that and short it out momentarily it should clear the memory and might turn the mute off. The supercap, if it has one, will probably be labelled 0.47F or some number like that with F after it, NOT uF. If it has a battery backup, it will be a silver disc that says CR3025 or something like that on it. Short it momentarily with the power disconnected.

Doc, I found this in the service manual, is it what I'm looking for?

Display Circuit PC Board
(NADIS-3559-3/3A/3B)
Capacitors
Circuit # C704
Part #3000051
0.047F 5.5V Super

Doc, I found this in the service manual, is it what I'm looking for?

Display Circuit PC Board
(NADIS-3559-3/3A/3B)
Capacitors
Circuit # C704
Part #3000051
0.047F 5.5V Super

Yep, unplug the power cord, and short that cap for 5 minutes. That will clear the memory and hopefully the mute. I have worked on receivers where this didn't clear it, must be stored in non - volatile memory in the microprocessor. In that case, you need the remote. Any Onkyo receiver remote should work, if it has "mute" on it.

Welcome Joe.
I have used two different silver, 3 and 4 function Phlllips low cost universal remotes on a TX-890 and the mute function works fine with the remotes. Trial and error on the other functions. A word of caution if you chose to pursue an older universal Onkyo remote. While the Onkyo functions are pre-programed, the older universal ones only accept 3 digit codes whereby the newer 4 digit remote operated components cannot be programed to operate. I agree it is a poor design, but it sounds very good. Enjoy your unit.

I have this receiver, and there is no sound, at all, the display panel has the "audio mute" lit up, the unit originally came with a remote, which I don't have, and there is no mute buttons or switches on the unit itself, seems to only be controled through the remote. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions on how to shut it off? turning off the unit and unplugging it doesn't have an effect.
Try pressing “AUDIO SEL” on remote several times until you get sound.

Back
Top Bottom