Panasonic S series mirrorless cameras

mhedges

We got the official unveiling of these last night. I gotta day I’m pretty impressed. The bodies look extremely similar to the Nikon Zs, but quite a bit bigger. Also more expensive but they have more features too. In a lot of ways they seem to be what Nikon could have put out if they weren’t so focused on size.

I’m still skeptical about how well it’s going to catch on given they have to develop a full lens line and don’t have a major installed base to sell to. But more competition is always good.

I've always liked the compact LUMIX m 4/3s cameras. My old GH-2 is a wee bit smaller than the Sony Alphas. The new Panasonic camera is huge.

Last edited:
Yes it is. A little bigger and heavier than the Nikon D850, I believe. Should be good for those folks that complain that the current mirrorless cameras are too small.

Here is the Sony with a 55mm lens and Nikon with a 35mm. The Panasonic S is bigger than the Nikon DSLR. Over the years Panasonic went from the smallest to the biggest. What were they thinking?

sony-vs-nikon-1038x576.jpg

I guess it's a means of differentiating themselves from the competition. I can't really argue with it. If you have three other companies making small systems maybe you go the other way to provide some contrast.

It really seems to be a very pro-oriented system. I don't see it ever being mainstream due to the size and cost, but it could have a decent niche if they get decent AF. They are still using contrast detect only based AF, and previously most Panasonic cameras were not known for being good AF performers (although I guess the recent G9 is pretty good). Early tests on demo units don't look real promising, but they are on preproduction firmware.

Back
Top Bottom