Pickering P/AC-1, Garrard AT6 Mk. II, and vinyl wear?

Rich K.

Okay, so one of my co-workers gave me a Pickering P/AC-1 stereo magnetic cartridge to use with my newly purchased (and still awaiting arrival from Canada) Garrard AT6 Mk. II record changer. I have 33, 45, and 78RPM records, so I ordered Pfanstiehl 4604-D3 (78RPM) and 4604-D7C (33/45 RPM, for record changers) styli for it from The Voice of Music. The recommended tracking force, according to The Voice of Music, is 4-7 grams for BOTH of those styli. I know that won't hurt my 78's (or at least not my older 78's), but what about my vinyl records (newest 78's, lp's and some 45's), and my styrene 45's? Won't that tracking weight damage them, especially if I go the the upper part of that range (towards 7 grams)?

I have read that you should always try for the upper part of a given cartridge's recommended tracking force, but yeesh! I have seen ceramics that track lighter than that - in fact, the Sonotone 9TAHC I have on order from the UK has a lighter recommended tracking force: as light as many magnetic cartridges I have seen.

They are actually rated 3-7 grams range, 4 grams recommended. There's really no reason to go higher than that for LPs and 45s, but the increased tracking force may be useful for tracking 78s that are warped or off center. A super light tracking, high compliance cartridge wouldn't work well at all on the arm of that record changer, anyhow. Unfortunately, you would need a better turntable If that is what you are after. Even though it may not be the best thing in the world for them, you are NOT going to instantly ruin your records at 4 grams.

Last edited:
They are actually rated 3-7 grams range, 4 grams recommended. There's really no reason to go higher than that for LPs and 45s, but the increased tracking force may be useful for tracking 78s that are warped or off center. A super light tracking, high compliance cartridge wouldn't work well at all on the arm of that record changer, anyhow. Unfortunately, you would need a better turntable If that is what you are after.
Funny, I thought I WAS getting a better turntable, at least better than what I had been using. Unfortunately, nothing made in the 1970's, at least that I am aware of, plays 78RPM records, and everything made nowadays that will play 78's seems to fall into one of two categories: upper end audiophile equipment (which is WAY out of my price range), or bottom of the barrel Chinese crap with old American names like Crosley on them. My dad had a couple of Garrards when I was a kid, but they would not play 78's. The AT6 was on the "choice" list of players (on one web page, at least) that were safe to use, and desirable for use with, both older and newer records. https://midimagic.sgc-hosting.com/safchang.htm

Funny, I thought I WAS getting a better turntable, at least better than what I had been using. Unfortunately, nothing made in the 1970's, at least that I am aware of, plays 78RPM records, and everything made nowadays that will play 78's seems to fall into one of two categories: upper end audiophile equipment (which is WAY out of my price range), or bottom of the barrel Chinese crap with old American names like Crosley on them. My dad had a couple of Garrards when I was a kid, but they would not play 78's. The AT6 was on the "choice" list of players (on one web page, at least) that were safe to use, and desirable for use with, both older and newer records. https://midimagic.sgc-hosting.com/safchang.htm
It may very well be better that what you had previously. You didn't mention what that was. I wasn't trying to be mean or insulting at all. I was just pointing out that not all turntables and tonearms are created equal and can't all handle the same cartridges. The AT6 isn't a bad choice for use as an old record changer, but if performance and record wear is your biggest concern it isn't a great choice either. That website seems to be just a general guideline as to what is SAFE to play and use as a record changer. But some of the choices there are just not in the same league, performance wise as others. By the way, Dual turntables were made during the 70's, perform very well, play 78s, and can handle better cartridges.

My current turntable is a General Electric changer with a fixed counterweight, made around 1967-1968. Stylus pressure is adjusted by spring pressure. No anti-skating. It was a console pull I got cheap. Came with a horrible flat 45RPM spindle adapter, which I don't use now because I put spiders in all my 45's. The phonograph is very similar to the ones found in the old "Wildcat" portable players, except that it has a metal rather than a plastic tonearm. Record size as well as speed are manually selected.

The AT6 is a plenty decent machine. It will run down around 2 grams if serviced and with a suitable stylus but I wouldn't worry much about 4 grams with a conical. The AT6 family may be my favorite family of Garrards just because they're so easy to work on. Its not a fussy mechanism either, basically clean it and put some fresh lube in and they run fine. Only real drawback to it is some of the lower level models in that range have a crappy motor that vibrates a lot. The AT6 II should have the good 4 pole motor so no worries there. My AT6 has that motor at least.

My preference for 78 changers though is a side pusher. The Garrard A70 is the last and finest of the side pushers. It runs 78 rpm, and it will track fine at 1.5 grams if you have a suitable cartridge. The side pushers are not quite so inclined to beat up the center hole on the shellac 78's. My own 78 machine is an old mono Garrard RC88 with a GE RPX cartridge. I also have a pair of Garrard Type A's that would do 78 duty just fine if I bought a suitable stylus for them. I unfortunately do not own an A70.

Personally, I can't stand the Garrard AT6 family due to the very poor tonearm geometry which causes very audible distortion on inner grooves. That distortion eventually becomes permanent as it gouges the groove. Otherwise
it is a decent performing table as far as speed accuracy, flutter, rumble and reliability.

The Miracord's and Dual's of the 70's still had the 78 speed but as Gadget pointed out, a side pusher is best for 78's.

Got the Garrard up and running, more or less. The idler is hard and glazed. A shot of CaiKleen makes it JUST sticky enough to run with a bit of a nudge (sluggish getting going). Once it is up to speed, it sounds great to me with the Pickering P/AC-1 and a Pfansteihl 0.7 mil stylus (set at 4.8g). Once it gets to the end of a record, the arm moves fine right up to the end of the cycle and then bogs right before the shutoff - I am guessing because the idler is slipping. I have a replacement on the way from Gary at The Voice of Music - hopefully I will have it by Friday or Saturday, since VM is in the southern part of the state and I live in the northern part (it was shipped yesterday).

The change cycle requires more torque so if the idler slips it will tend to stall when the mechanism engages. Flywheel effect on the platter usually gets it part way through before it finally just stops. A fresh wheel and cleaning the inside of the platter and motor spindle will probably get it going again. Not sure what the cleaner is, but I'd give everything a wipedown with alcohol to make sure you don't get anything nasty on the new idler wheel that might harm it.

Back
Top Bottom