Pioneer PD-M702 won't spin disc

Assemble the pickup back onto the mechanism. Enter the test mode. Use REV and FWD buttons to position the pickup somewhere in the middle. Press PGM to close focus servo. Wait 2 sec. Press PLAY. That closes spindle servo. Motor should start. If not, it is bad. If it starts and you hear that the turning speed increases constantly together with sound and vibration, means you got the run-off and the focus was not achieved. Press quickly STOP to stop all the servos. If motor runs at a nice constant albeit slow speed, press PAUSE to close tracking servo. If tracking is adequate, the display should change to normal, and the player should play the track. Then press REPEAT to auto adjust the gain.

Played around with the above procedures. Everything seems to work as it should, but disk still won't spin.

I noticed that there appears to be quite a bit of space between the rubber grommets and the heads of the screws that hold it down, maybe 1/16". I lifted the entire transport assy up a bit and the disc started to turn and the time appeared in the display. When I let it back down, it stops. I'm starting to think mechanical problem, no? Seems like something is interfering with that lower hub that 'magnets' onto the motor hub.

Take out and inspect the four rubber grommets at the carrier corners. They might be rotten. Seen it numerous times. Usually they are the same and interchangeable between similar players.

:banana: :music:

I took out those grommets and it appears there was a thin bottom part that had detached from the body and slipped up inside... there was a loose ring sitting inside the bottom recess. I found some 1/4" vinyl tubing that was the correct ID for the screw and the correct OD for the grommet, cut some thin sections from it and inserted them into the bottom of the grommet. The grommet was now the same length as the shoulder of the screw. I added the thin ring that had come off under the new piece, screwed them back in. Now the transport doesn't have any slack at the grommets. Re-assembled and it works! I can only think that the grommets must have finally collapsed over the winter in the garage.

I'm sure the transport isn't quite as "floaty?" in it's mounts as it was originally. Don't know what effect that may have on performance... maybe more susceptible to vibration or resonance? We shall see if it matters. I'll still keep my eyes out for a junker cdp for new grommets eventually.

Last night I did some searching for replacement lasers, just in case. All the ones I found were $80-100! Way more than I'd pay to fix it, even though it was a curbside find. I'd have hated to toss this thing because it's in perfect condition, clean, and has the OEM remote.

I really appreciate all the help from hennessy, draudio, and all. :thmbsp: I learned some stuff I didn't know and had some fun in the process. Hope I can repay the help or pass it along sometime.

Back
Top Bottom