Pioneer PL-41 cartridge options

TigerChicago

Been busy, mama . . .
1st post. Bought a PL-41 after researching threads here and did a full servicing. Thx to all for the tips. Bought a few low cost carts for short term incl. new AT95E, used M91ED (new EVG stylus), and a used Stanton 681 which is waiting for a stylus. Low $ to date.

AT95E plays clean but not very detailed in some areas (cymbals, etc.). M91ED sounds better on my rig - slightly fuller sound and detail but still lacks some joy. TF about 2 grams but might need to play more.

Running PL-41 into a Marantz SR7007 with PSB mains. Considering . .

* Jico Shibata stylus for 681 cart
* Azur 640P preamp used for $130
* AT14Sa cart with an AT or Jico stylus
* Denon DL-110, which gets mixed reviews
* AT120E

My setup seems OK, and overall it sounds very good. Wondering if the Shibata will be the answer. Listen mostly to jazz and some rock (not hard).

At Vinyl Renaissance in KC, tech pulled specs on the Marantz phono stage and thought that it would take an expensive preamp to make a significant improvement (or a switch to an MC cart which would require an, um, separate preamp).

Don't want to spend $150 on the Shibata, and then find that I need a preamp and MC cart like the Denon DL103 to find the joy. Thoughts?

1st post. Bought a PL-41 after researching threads here and did a full servicing. Thx to all for the tips. Bought a few low cost carts for short term incl. new AT95E, used M91ED (new EVG stylus), and a used Stanton 681 which is waiting for a stylus. Low $ to date.

AT95E plays clean but not very detailed in some areas (cymbals, etc.). M91ED sounds better on my rig - slightly fuller sound and detail but still lacks some joy. TF about 2 grams but might need to play more.

Running PL-41 into a Marantz SR7007 with PSB mains. Considering . .

* Jico Shibata stylus for 681 cart
* Azur 640P preamp used for $130
* AT14Sa cart with an AT or Jico stylus
* Denon DL-110, which gets mixed reviews
* AT120E

My setup seems OK, and overall it sounds very good. Wondering if the Shibata will be the answer. Listen mostly to jazz and some rock (not hard).

At Vinyl Renaissance in KC, tech pulled specs on the Marantz phono stage and thought that it would take an expensive preamp to make a significant improvement (or a switch to an MC cart which would require an, um, separate preamp).

Don't want to spend $150 on the Shibata, and then find that I need a preamp and MC cart like the Denon DL103 to find the joy. Thoughts?

Welcome to the AK turn table forum!

There are some alternative for some the cartridge you have listed in your price range.

Audio Technica AT 95E- HE or the Vidvidline stylus.
http://www.turntableneedles.com/NEEDLE-710-DHE_p_3722.html
http://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGATN95VL.html

Shure M91 ED - HE stylus
http://www.lptunes.com/Hyperelliptical-replacement-for-Shure-N-91ED-N91ED-p/shn091edlphl.htm

You seem to have a preference for detail sound, check out the Denon DL-301 lomc. :music:

you need a preamp that does 100ohm or thereabouts, and a DL-103 to find the joy, or at least the most joy for the money. I've run through about 6 or 7 different cartridge combos on my PL-41, and the 103 is MADE for that stock arm!

I had a Pioneer PL50 ( the original early 70's model ) that has basically the same arm as the PL41 and used it with a Denon DL-103. It was a match made in heaven, at least to my ears. The moderate heavy mass of the PL's arm really gets great performance from the DL- 103. Of course as you noted, a MC phono pre is needed.

I currently have a Denon DL 110 and while very good for it's price, I enjoyed the DL-103 a bit more for it's beautiful mid-range and rich organic sound.

Good Luck with a decision! :scratch2:

I put a Denon DL-110 on my PL-41 based on opinions here at AK. I am not disappointed in the least. I *think* that I hear a lot more detail and realism than I ever did with my Grado Blue or Shure M97xe on the same TT. The high output MC (on the DL-110) sounds great on the MM input on my Tube (Scott LK48b) and SS (Harman Kardon HK3485) integrated amps. If the DL-110 breaks or wears out, I am curious about putting the JICO stylus on my Shure cart though...

Thx for the recommendations. Will study them all. For MM carts, most that have tried the Shibata say it outperforms the hyperellipticals (though they cost less). The Denon 103 and 301 would need a preamp, and the Emotiva seems like a great option (compared to Nova/Phonomena). So, the choice might come down to the Jico Shibata MM or a Denon DL-103 (or 301) with a preamp like the Emotiva. Will do some research. Kids and wife go down at 9, so I get an hour or 2 a night to surf and play tunes. Life is good . . .

I put a Denon DL-110 on my PL-41 based on opinions here at AK. I am not disappointed in the least. I *think* that I hear a lot more detail and realism than I ever did with my Grado Blue or Shure M97xe on the same TT. The high output MC (on the DL-110) sounds great on the MM input on my Tube (Scott LK48b) and SS (Harman Kardon HK3485) integrated amps. If the DL-110 breaks or wears out, I am curious about putting the JICO stylus on my Shure cart though...

Kalev - The DL-110 did get a lot of thumbs up on karma, but a few reviews were not stellar (TJLitt's review among others). The 681/Jico Shibata and the DL-103 had mostly glowing +'s with few if any negatives (specifically for older Pioneer TTs). Setup is always in question, of course, and personal preferences are what they are. Heading to Axpona in Chicago next month, and I plan to attend Michael Fremer's turntable setup seminar (if he can possibly share anything that I haven't learned on karma yet!).

Back
Top Bottom