Portraits/People

MichaelJ

let's see some portraits!

I see beautiful flowers, landscapes, and still life's but lets see some People! I'll start with a shot I did some time back for my Niece's web site. She's a Yoga instructor.

The set up was simple. I shot during the "Golden Hour" one hour before sunset. My camera was mounted on a tripod. Shutter 1/15, 100 ISO, f 2.8, 70 to 200 Nikon lens. A small golden reflector is on the ground bouncing a bit of extra light on the subject.

About all I did in photoshop was add a vignette in the corners.

Note my use of the rule of thirds and the twist of the subject's body.

Lets see what ya got!!!

pose1.jpg

Last edited:
Here's another. This is my youngest step daughter, all dressed up for a wedding. She's in a pretty standard pose. Standing on one leg, slight twist to her shoulders, a little head tilt.

The key is the light. It's ALWAYS about the light! Again, this was shot during the golden hour, just before sun set. I didn't have a tripod with me so I had the shutter at 1/60, ISO 400, F2.8. 70-200 lens set at about 100mm.

I added a little vignette in photoshop and did a bit of work on her skin.
_DSC8312.jpg

I actually started a Portrait & People thread not to long ago and then deleted it. I wasn't sure if it was cool to post people's portraits without a release.

btw... nice shots. Looks like your niece is practicing t'ai chi.

I think it's OK if it isn't for commercial purposes and/or there is no expectation of "privacy".

and yes, that's t'ai chi!

I was dying to post some photos of my portrait project I did recently. I asked all my subjects their permission to photograph them. I usually ended up talking to them and getting to know them.

Only one young woman in a henna tattoo shop didn't want her photo taken. Probably because I looked creepy walking back and forth looking at her trying to decide if I wanted to photograph her.

Most people were very receptive and liked having their photo taken. It was a very cool experience.

Last year I was fooling around shooting black and white pics with my Nikon L20 and decided to do an old school self-portrait.

attachment.php

Is it "old school" because of the technique you employed or is it because the "subject" is old? :scratch2: :D

This young woman started my portrait project. She is French and has a charming British accent from having lived there for a number of years. She had a week prior, flown in from Peru. She is multi-lingual and was taking her yoga teaching certification. I ended up giving her a bunch of household items to get her settled.

C_doorway.jpg

One of my favorites is of this paniolo (Hawaiian Cowboy). He looks like a mean bugger, but I ended up talking to him a number of times when I went to get cream puffs after my yoga class. :D He was friendly and pretty funny.

Cowboy.jpg

This guy I've run into a couple of times the last couple of years. He runs the gallery that shows exclusively his wife's amazing paintings. He is thoughtful, kind and a gentleman. I'm going to have to buy one of her paintings one day.

Peter.jpg

When driving back from the yoga class, I stopped at this beautiful church to take photos and found this artist painting it. She had been on the island for a year and was trying to put together a collection for her 1st show.

Julie.jpg

Back
Top Bottom