Post a pic of your Electronics Bench

This may require a bit of adjustment on my part, but the ergonomics seem acceptable thus far. My side bench is also to the right, so that limited the options. I'm predominantly right-handed, but when I carried a tool belt for 20-ish years the main pouch was always on the left side, so it's not foreign. I eat left-handed and shoot left-handed, but when I played hockey it was right-handed. Go figure.

Workbench04.jpg

That's everything but a distortion analyzer. I also have an SG-165 which is not quite as sophisticated, but capable.

Older film scan, but close enough to current, had posted before, but seemed to disappear from this post..
Maybe all the "upgrades it disappeared, oh well, sites progress in motion, I guess !!

Attachments

• Repair Bench Scan.jpg
    Repair Bench Scan.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 93
Well, here is my bench, most of what I had at PACIFIC STEREO That I Picked back up over the years at Hamfests Swapmeets. I've got a lot of vintage stuff that needs a tune-up on the tuners and IF's that have drifted over the years
It keeps me out of the taverns.
SOUND TECHNOLOGY 1700B--SOUND TECHNOLOGY 1000A FM Generator and st 1100a Sencore PR-57 Fluke 87
B&K 2125a Oscilloscope Dual trace, B&K RF Generator E200D,Heathkit IG-72 Audio Generator and lots of the old Transistors used in Audio gear.

Attachments

• 20190315_054942.jpg
    20190315_054942.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 132
I've had the flu for over a week, and a kidney stone prior to that, so I haven't been down to the lab in several weeks. Here's what neglect looks like. The left end of the bench is component measurement. Note the giant stack of plastic boxes from sliced cold cuts. I use one of those to contain every project. Right end is where I work. The scopes and curve tracer are behind a Scott CD player I can't fix, just like most every other CD player I own. The parts on the wall are, well, parts on the wall. The little roll-around is the lab sound system, Marantz CD, Yamaha T-85 tuner and a couple Crown amps. The back corner is where the resistance boxes, spare meters and Kelvin-Varley dividers live. I think there's a place to stand, but not for more than one.
View attachment 1085922 View attachment 1085923 View attachment 1085924 View attachment 1085925 View attachment 1085926 View attachment 1085927

Wow, you must eat a lot of cold cuts!

And now I get to rearrange (again)

PanasonicVP-8121A.jpg
Oh man, you are going to LOVE your Panasonic VP-8121A! I've got the 8122A, not sure what (if any) difference there is.

These things make alignment so much easier. Just set the frequency, amplitude and deviation and you're good to go. I looped my Keithley 2015THD through mine for distortion measurement/adjustment. One thing that threw me initially is that when I first turned the pilot on I didn't see stereo on the UUT. The pilot level needs to be set after you turn it on.
20190329_054704-1.jpg
Someday I'll take it apart, since I'm pretty sure there is a battery in it somewhere to keep the settings when powered off. It's not so much that I need it, I'm just afraid it will leak someday. I'd also like to add an external reference jack, as i got a GPSDO and a distribution amplifier for my bench. Total overkill for audio, but I occasionally work on test equipment too.

Last edited:
I've been toying with it a little, and according to the counter and scope, it seems to be fairly accurate. I've also broken into it to clean and inspect, and I didn't find a battery, although I didn't tear down the front panel completely, so there might be a coin cell or Varta in there somewhere. There is a lot of shielding on the unit, with a bunch of covers and cast frames for each module. I'm working on a 1" high stand / frame with a BNC jack panel so I don't have to reach around for all the connections. I'll send a photo if it works out.

So tidy! So where do you actually work?

That bench is for repairs and restoration, plenty of room for most amps and receivers 8x6. I have another 8x6 just for turntables and reel to reels. I'm in the middle of a life changing move across the country. Packing all the equipment and inventory has been mind blowing experience. Haven't moved in a quarter of a century. The good thing is I'm finding new parts that have been stashed since the 70's.

Back
Top Bottom