Post a pic of your Electronics Bench

Redid my bench today. :banana:

TKaKIyt.jpg

WOW ! I feel more ashamed of my bench, post after post...
The bench doesn't make the tech.

One of the best techs I ever knew didn't even have a bench, just a toolbox and a VOM. I watched this guy fix TV's, VCR's and stereos without any service literature, or anything like a signal generator or oscilloscope. If I hadn't seen it myself I wouldn't have believed it, and the more I learn about electronic service the more amazed I am at this memory. He fixed a Realistic stereo I had bought with one channel out. He found a bad transistor, and I had a cigar box full of assorted transistors. He dug around in there, pulled one out and soldered it in. It worked for years; I don't remember what I did with it, but it never failed after his repair. Amazing guy!

The bench doesn't make the tech.

One of the best techs I ever knew didn't even have a bench, just a toolbox and a VOM. I watched this guy fix TV's, VCR's and stereos without any service literature, or anything like a signal generator or oscilloscope. If I hadn't seen it myself I wouldn't have believed it, and the more I learn about electronic service the more amazed I am at this memory. He fixed a Realistic stereo I had bought with one channel out. He found a bad transistor, and I had a cigar box full of assorted transistors. He dug around in there, pulled one out and soldered it in. It worked for years; I don't remember what I did with it, but it never failed after his repair. Amazing guy!

This is similar to what a retired Marantz and Onkyo tech told me when I asked if he had any old test equipment he'd consider selling. He said nope - he only used a multimeter.

This is similar to what a retired Marantz and Onkyo tech told me when I asked if he had any old test equipment he'd consider selling. He said nope - he only used a multimeter.

I've known many mechanics like that; adjustable wrench and you're good to go;)

Not sure if this has been done, but with wall space at a premium, and a 36" deep bench and 16" riser, the wall is all but useless anyway. Tools are always a problem. I have a 1 x 6, and one of these:

2112747-V772.jpg

I have one of these on the way:

51UgnyZiVDL._SL1000_.jpg

You can probably see where it's going. I'll let you know.

Back
Top Bottom