Post your DUAL TT platter "spin-down" times!

illinoisteve

I have started wondering just how freely the platter is spinning on the 1229 turntable I have been working on the past month or so. How long it takes the platter to stop, from the moment the power to it is disengaged, seems like one useful and easy to make measurement of its free-wheelingness.

I will post my spin down times for each of the speeds on my turntable. Note that the only thing on the table is the stock rubber mat and a thin paper strobe disk. My procedure is to start the platter by setting the tonearm on the rest rail near the platter and to let it run a couple minutes while I fine-tune the speed. Then, when I am ready to start timing, I disengage the motor and idler wheel by moving the tonearm to the resting post.

I get these spin-down times (expressed in minutes and seconds):

78 rpm -- 1:50

45 rpm -- 1:20

33.3 rpm -- 1:03

Please post the times and speeds for your Dual turntable(s), clearly labeling the model number and speeds tested. If in addition to posting your Dual results, you also have another brand of vintage TT you want to post for comparison, just label it clearly. Thanks. I am very curious about what other's results will be.

Well since you said people could post spin down times of turntables other than Duals, I was gonna time the spin down time of my Garrard 3000 changer, but I just found out the damn thing won't shift into 78 anymore. Hm, must be because Garrard turntables are crap.

I've found 1218's go the longest - no reason for that - they just do. I had one spin for 4 minutes!

That is a fun phenomenon I have noticed since I first started trying to resurrect these things. The 1009sk I had was the first top to bottom tear down and relube I did. It was frustrating as all get out, but when I got the motor apart and re-lubed, and the platter bearings greased up again, that dang thing would spin away smooth and quiet. Well over a minute for sure. I sold it, so I can't say exactly, but I shut it down on 78rpm, left, took a leak, came back and she was still moving. Not a six pack leak, but enough to notice! I have a 1218 parts unit that moves smooth and forever. Too bad it is so beat, because the motor runs like a champ, and it spins forever.

I have a Garrard Zero 92 that is nice and even on the platter too. Some Garrards are crummy, but that is a fun one.

My Dual 1229 on 45 rpm's will spin for 2 minutes and 40 seconds after the click .
James

I am just now getting my 1229Q going and I have not pluged it in yet. But, if I spin it by hand, it will go for a couple minutes.

1019 @ 33 = 1:13. It has a fairly heavy lube in the bearing. When I used a lighter lube it would spin for more than 2 minutes.

IIRC, there is a very old thread here on this same subject.

I don't know the exact time but I played a record last Thursday on my 1019 and shut it off and I'm still waiting for the platter to stop sos I can play another. :D

Doug

From 33.3 RPM:

1219 - 1:21
1019 - 1:09

Both with 80-90 weight syntethic gear lube (I found they are quieter than with the 10-30 w synthetic Mobil 1 oil I was using before)

Last edited:
I don't know the exact time but I played a record last Thursday on my 1019 and shut it off and I'm still waiting for the platter to stop sos I can play another. :D

Doug

You must be using that new Billy May Miracle Lubricant. From Minnesota, the land of Paul Bunyon and tall tales. :D

Here we go...

1218:
33.33RPM: 1:42.8
45RPM: 2:00.0
78RPM: 2:41.0

1219:
33.33RPM: 0:41.4
45RPM: 0:46.0
78RPM: 1:06.5

Interesting results! The gold medal in this round of the Dual Olympics (Dualympics?) clearly goes to the 1218, despite it's smaller platter. All times courtesy of a Heuer Trackmaster mechanical stopwatch. Each test was conducted after giving the platter several seconds to get up to proper speed, with the only load being a Dual strobe disk.
-Adam

This brings back old memories:

Back in 1972 when I was still in high school (yes they had high schools back then) a fellow audio enthusiast and I timed my Dual 1214 spin-down time and then drove 5 miles over to his house to time his 1214.

I think mine won (I still have it and use it).

No other purpose to make the trip other than to do the timing.

Seemed to have a lot more time for fun back then...

Jim

Interesting results! The gold medal in this round of the Dual Olympics (Dualympics?) clearly goes to the 1218, despite it's smaller platter. All times courtesy of a Heuer Trackmaster mechanical stopwatch. Each test was conducted after giving the platter several seconds to get up to proper speed, with the only load being a Dual strobe disk.
-Adam

So Champ, what's your secret?

Hey, who among you who haven't posted times here yet wants to challenge the champ?

You must be using that new Billy May Miracle Lubricant. From Minnesota, the land of Paul Bunyon and tall tales. :D

I don't know if Billy is from Minnesota but I can tell you I caught my limit of Walleys last weekend. :yes:

I turned my Dual 1009 table into a RCM, and the bread maker motor on it stops in about a second and a half.

My Technics SL1200 stops so fast I can't time it, and it even goes backwards about 1/8th turn like it hit a wall.

How relevant is the spin down time to the sound quality on Duals? I would think (and I could be quite wrong here) that motor noise transmitted through the idler wheel and idler wheel to rim surface contact irregularities would be a much bigger impact overall.

I've thought a couple times about an air-drive platter, where given a suficiently heavy platter, and a sufficiently smooth bearing, one could use a motor to spin it up to speed, release the clutch then use a forced air blower pointing at cup like blades along the edge of the platter to keep it at speed. ... hmm, might have to think that one out some more.

Ok guys, here's one to beat I guess :)

My 1209 spin-down times:

33 = 2:16
45 = 2:33
78 = 3:11

I knew it spun for awhile but this was kinda fun, urging the platter to continue to spin. (My S.O. told me I needed to get a life:D )

edit: Times taken from my Seiko Kinetic wristwatch:thmbsp:

Ok guys, here's one to beat I guess :)

My 1209 spin-down times:

33 = 2:16
45 = 2:33
78 = 3:11

I knew it spun for awhile but this was kinda fun, urging the platter to continue to spin. (My S.O. told me I needed to get a life:D )

edit: Times taken from my Seiko Kinetic wristwatch:thmbsp:

Holy COW ! That's somethin'. I wonder who can top that without using steroids?

Back
Top Bottom