Poultrygeist's systems continue to evolve

Here's the new version of my original version S1 with tube adaptors. Cute as a speckled pup.

848933-appj-mini-2013-original-miniwatt-3-w-mini-tube-amp-wvolume-control.jpg

I traded a pair of nice tubes for these Coral Holey Baskets. These are efficient 3.5 inch full range drivers that were used in high end Sony reel to reels back in the 60's. They have a cult like following and when a pair comes up on ebay it's usually a bidding war. Listening to them you'd never know they weren't at least 8 inch drivers. Amazing sound and if you follow "Glow in the Dark's" Blog you know how highly he regards them. These puppies have alnico motors with fabric surrounds. I wish they made speakers like this today. They could but it would be expensive. I'm using some tops I had in the attic and the venerable H-frames provide the bass.

It's getting to the point where I'm somewhat jaded with the wonderful sound from all these OB's. If you're debating about venturing down the road less traveled don't hesitate. Simple, inexpensive, easy to build speakers that transport one to another realm. You will not look at a box speaker in the same way.

P1010021.jpeg

Last edited:
I read on other forums that the Coral Holey Baskets ( alnico ) were outstanding when used in the Frugal Horn Mk3 cabinets. Today I removed the Frugal's Fostex drivers and replaced them with the Corals. In order for them to fit I made supra baffles which are often used in folded horns. To make a long story short I was blown away by the sound. These puppies are incredibly detailed with a sound stage you'd never believe could come from a 3.5 inch driver. The Fostex's have been relegated to my audio closet but I may eventually try them in an upward firing Atmos speaker build ( 5.2.2 ). Stay tuned.

P1010011 2.jpeg

Last edited:
I was in Michael's Craft Store over the weekend and found a selection of interesting wooden plaques. With some black vinyl contact paper I dressed them up a bit, cut out some 4 inch holes and mounted the Holey Baskets. I then glued the new plaque baffles to the Frugal Horns and hopefully they look better than the round baffles? They do match the Neo 3 planar tweeters.

Everyday that I listen to the Holeys I appreciate them more. Mids and highs that rival the best Lowthers and they image like I've not heard before. Highly detailed they just sound bigger and smoother than the Fostex's which I thought hung the moon. It's shocking that these 3 1/2 inch wonders were all but lost in 1960's Sony reel to reels. But even without a decent cabinet they probably sounded better than the best decks of that era.

If you run across a pair of Coral Holey Baskets buy them as they are beyond special.

P1010006.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom