Power Cables

Very interesting read indeed for those looking into upgrading their power cords.

The theory behind them of "some odd things involving wide band electron flow, the intricacy of electrons and non-dependence upon Ohm’s Law….", is pretty wild.

Last year Audiophillia gave high marks on a review of the Luminous Audio Technology Power Mega Lynx Line Cord. These were developed on applied principles of particle beam accelerators.

http://www.audiophilia.com/wp/?p=9424

What a wondrous age we live in.

I've been on the fence about upgrading from the stock power cables on my gear to something "better" but I have NO idea where to start or even what to look for.

I switched out the 18 ga power cords from my Marantz CD player and my Vivatek projector to a 14 ga. I can't say I can hear or see any differences...

I upgraded to some rhodium plated plugs and some larger gauge cable in a diy
project for a power amp and pre, sound wise hard to say what difference there was
due to other ongoing changes.

I suspect you don't have to buy a pair, but a single at half that price. Personally, for my gear cost, I limit up to $600 per power cord.

I cleaned up this thread due to violations of the rules of the forum. If the subject matter doesn't agree with you, feel free not to post here.

I'm not aware of what happened in this thread that caused Bigerik to have to step in and clean up as I didn't come back to the thread until after the cleanup.

In the past, I made a post that poked fun at the expensive cable markets. I was slapped on the wrist by some high ranking officials here at the forum and essentially was told to address my attitude or take it elsewhere. From that experience I hope that I've grown because now I understand that there are some that take this hobby quite seriously and claim to know that these types of cables do make a difference in sound quality and are willing to spend the high prices for them. I for one have felt that I have heard differences between low and high priced cables though I personally do not have the resources to pay for that luxury. If I had $1400 of available cash to spend on audio equipment I would probably find other uses for it besides cables. But that's just me.

Now that I've "opened my mind to other possibilities", I can now read articles such as the one I mentioned in the first post and wonder, "is this person on to something new, some discovery that can lead to an advancement in the way we listen to audio?" And for me, that's a positive step forward.

Well for me, I love great music. I have a dedicated music room that I am slowly building. The amps and speakers you see in my sig is what I will have until I die or it dies...which ever comes first. My amp/preamp are of a matching set and MSRP together is $4300. They are known, but are virtually unheard by audiophiles. I understand a lot of folks don't like gear that is manufactured in Asia, but that's ok. I've heard a lot of gear over the years, and I feel the Vincent pieces are indeed a real bargain, and is much more in performance than I thought it would be, really hitting above its price range.....Vincent offers you a lot for what you pay.

For me...the proof is always in the hearing and we all have our preferences. But the Vincent pieces I have are of excellent build quality as well as sound...again, hitting well above its $4k price point. Thats saying something. So in saying that, I want to get the best performance out of them as much as possible. That requires a speaker that will let me hear the gear and what it can do in all its glory. The speaker has to be balanced....neither tipped up in the treble, not sucked out in the mids, and must have a bottom that can go into low bass without being out of balance with the overal sound spectrum. The speaker must not be boring, and be able to play all types of music and portray the emotion of the artist while getting out of the way and disappearing at the same time. The speaker must be trasparent and clear as well as not to present a veil over the music. Thats why I love Canton Vento series. $2500 for a pair of monitors...and in my book the Canton Vento series...virtually unheard by audiophiles are worth every penny!

So in my opinion...amp/preamp/speakers this good and alone retailing $6800 requires power cords, speaker cables, and interconnect to bring it all together by letting the gear be heard. I've had lesser power cords, speaker cables, and interconnect in my system, and its performance was good. I have many different brands of cables, power cords and speaker wires in boxes in my basement storage now, so I know from experience that I needed better cabling all around and only found it with interconnects that started at $500 each and the only speaker cable that really did it for me was a $700 one. I was fortunate to get a tip about the power cords and they are great also. So I got the better cabling that gave me the synergy I needed and my system went up a few notches...and yes, I was floored at the performance.

So rlovison...thats why I decided to spend almost $4k on cabling. Kinda pricey, but every time I turn on my system, its a pleasure to know im hearing every thing at its best...in all its glory.

Some may call me names....call me a fool, and idiot, but who cares....I dont. Im loving my sytem.

Last edited:
So rlovison...thats why I decided to spend almost $4k on cabling. Kinda pricey, but every time I turn on my system, its a pleasure to know im hearing every thing at its best...in all its glory.

Some may call me names....call me a fool, and idiot, but who cares....I dont. Im loving my sytem.

slippers-on, I don't feel you're a fool nor an idiot.... someone who is just passionate about audio and music. For me, 4k for cables is beyond my budget. If I had the available funds and could hear a significant difference, I probably would buy the cables. In any case, enjoy your music and your listening room when completed.

Richard

I use R.A classic an yellow power mains cables on my components and a screened QED cable on my plug board. you dont realy tell how much they do till you take them off and put standerd cables back on. Thers quite a difference.

I didn't read the full article yet, but I don't have, nor need, any 400W to 1kW amps.

For people living near RFI sources, I would recommend considering the shielded power cords available for computer applications, at least the quality ones, suitably modifying the non-wall-plug ends for your components -- one caveat: if your component is not equipped with 3-wire grounded cables, do not connect the ground to your chassis for fear of ground loops and possible damage, just leave it open and insulated in some way.

Last edited:
A while ago I got 2, roughly 10 foot lengths of 'H07RN-F 5G6' cable, (5x6mm sq stranded cores) good for 50 amps at up to 750V, it is flexible and I should think it will do very nicely. Several of these cables were being thrown out (yes really) anyway I got official permission to take some - so I grabbed two, connector choice will be the key to any success I feel.

I was initially thinking about this for speaker cables, but now think they might be worth a try as power cables. If I do try one as a power cable, I'll let you know what happens.

And I hear you Freds.Bands, I have replaced quite a few power cables in gear, and have always observed your caution above.

i put a couple of power cables together using Aucharm cable with double screen there pretty good

Attachments

• 2015_06_26_11_11_09_OneShot.jpg
    2015_06_26_11_11_09_OneShot.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 2015_06_26_14_47_25_OneShot.jpg
    2015_06_26_14_47_25_OneShot.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 2015_08_03_14_57_13_OneShot.jpg
    2015_08_03_14_57_13_OneShot.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 31
I will admit I have heard what must be the most ridiculously priced power cables of all time. Unfortunately, they really did make a major improvement in the system, but I don't see how anyone would ever buy them at that price. You'd really have to be off the deep end.

Back
Top Bottom