PSB 4T speakers - anyone heard these?

Yorxdorx

I recently picked up a pair of PSB Image 4T speakers plus an 8C center channel. I'm not big into home theater, but needed a center channel for our AV setup and thought I'd just try out the speakers with my usual vintage audio gear.

I did read reviews about these and they were pretty favorable so I didn't mind too much spending a couple hundred on the speakers including the center channel.

Anyway, these happen to be the absolute WORST pair of speakers I've ever or currently own! Muffled and muddy lows and mids and highs (although working) almost non-existent. I can't believe all the folks that gave these speakers rave reviews are hearing what I'm hearing out these.

I thought PSB was a quality manufacturer of audio equipment. Some of their speakers are pretty pricey as well.

Do I just have a pair of lemons, or is all the hype about these just that?

Cosmetically, they're in great shape and look hardly used. I pulled the crossover assembly out and caps look good.

Anyone with experience with these speakers? If so, how do they sound to you?

First I've heard of PSB's having non-existent mids and highs unless your used to cheap horn mids and tweets. My bet is there's a problem somewhere... I don't doubt the muddy bass though.

Last edited:
Something is amiss somewhere along the line. Check the speakers first, then check all your ancillaries.

They're not bad speakers, maybe your pair has been abused, but the PSB line is sound, never heard a bad pair in the 10+ that I've listened to.

If you don't like them, I'll take them off your hands!

One question, what other speakers do you own?

thanks guys. I found an old post from an AK member who had the same issue. I've PM'ed him to see if he had a resolution.

They're not bad speakers, maybe your pair has been abused, but the PSB line is sound, never heard a bad pair in the 10+ that I've listened to.

If you don't like them, I'll take them off your hands!

One question, what other speakers do you own?

I have several pairs:

ADS L1230
ADS 710
Sonus Faber Concertino
Klipsch Heresy
Bozak 301A Tempo
Dynaco A25

thanks guys. I found an old post from an AK member who had the same issue. I've PM'ed him to see if he had a resolution.

I have several pairs:

ADS L1230
ADS 710
Sonus Faber Concertino
Klipsch Heresy
Bozak 301A Tempo
Dynaco A25

You do have some nice speakers in your collection and the PSB 4T was on the low end of their lineup...could be they are the worst speakers you own :scratch2:

You do have some nice speakers in your collection and the PSB 4T was on the low end of their lineup...could be they are the worst speakers you own :scratch2:

I don't doubt that, but the PSB's are nowhere close to any of them as far as sound quality particular in the high end. I have A/B tested these with the Sonus Faber Concertinos (btw, these are pretty amazing speakers) and ADS L710s, and the difference is like night and day.

I did hear back from a fellow AKer who experienced exactly the same issue and determined the problem to be in the caps. He has since sold them, but prior to the caps going bad, he said they were very good sounding speakers.

Curiosity will make me get the caps replaced and if I still don't like them, well of to CL they go. : )

I recently picked up a pair of PSB Image 4T speakers plus an 8C center channel. I'm not big into home theater, but needed a center channel for our AV setup and thought I'd just try out the speakers with my usual vintage audio gear.

I did read reviews about these and they were pretty favorable so I didn't mind too much spending a couple hundred on the speakers including the center channel.

Anyway, these happen to be the absolute WORST pair of speakers I've ever or currently own! Muffled and muddy lows and mids and highs (although working) almost non-existent. I can't believe all the folks that gave these speakers rave reviews are hearing what I'm hearing out these.

I thought PSB was a quality manufacturer of audio equipment. Some of their speakers are pretty pricey as well.

Do I just have a pair of lemons, or is all the hype about these just that?

Cosmetically, they're in great shape and look hardly used. I pulled the crossover assembly out and caps look good.

Anyone with experience with these speakers? If so, how do they sound to you?

There must be something wrong.I picked up a pair in like new condition.They have dual terminal inputs and when I first listened to them they sounded muddy and then I realized the jumpers were missing between the terminals!

I don't doubt that, but the PSB's are nowhere close to any of them as far as sound quality particular in the high end. I have A/B tested these with the Sonus Faber Concertinos (btw, these are pretty amazing speakers) and ADS L710s, and the difference is like night and day.

I did hear back from a fellow AKer who experienced exactly the same issue and determined the problem to be in the caps. He has since sold them, but prior to the caps going bad, he said they were very good sounding speakers.

Curiosity will make me get the caps replaced and if I still don't like them, well of to CL they go. : )
Sorry about responding to a 10 year old post, but did you ever get that resolved? I just got some used 4ts that are in similarly great condition but sound absolutely terrible.

They are known for having fragile tweeters due to no heat sinks, replace them for silk domes and you'll have a really great sounding spkr.
I did just so with my 4T's and now they are keepers!

Back
Top Bottom