Q5 vs RS1.5

Roe74

is there a significant improvement of the RS 1.5 over the Q5’s? I have Q5’s that I’ve had since new. Would it be worthwhile to move to the 1.5’s? I wish I could do a side by side but can’t. Thanks.

Good question. I am curious about how they stack up against some of the comparable models that followed. I just picked up a pair of Q5's this past weekend. I now understand why everyone raves about the Watkins woofers. I have only been able to listen to them for a couple days but I like them a little better than my RS 5b's that were previously in the bedroom system.

Good question. I am curious about how they stack up against some of the comparable models that followed. I just picked up a pair of Q5's this past weekend. I now understand why everyone raves about the Watkins woofers. I have only been able to listen to them for a couple days but I like them a little better than my RS 5b's that were previously in the bedroom system.
a sideways move

A pair of 1.5's with the dog ear stands caught my eye a few days ago on ebay.
Don't see them for sale all that often.

The two speakers are very similar. Both use Watkins Dual Drive woofers and the smaller EMIT tweeters, both are rated as reproducing 38-32 kHz +/-3dB, even the non-mirrored boxes are similar in size; Q5 is 26.5"X15"X12" while the RS1.5 is 26.5"X15"X11".

The only real difference is the midrange driver and the crossover. The Q5 uses the 1 1/2" dome crossed at 4 kHz and 600 Hz, but the RS1.5 uses a 5" cone mid that is crossed at 5 kHz and 350 Hz.

The differences will be subtle...

Always loved the Q5s and thought they were the best bang for the buck if you could stretch a bit and had enough current to do them justice. I could only afford the Juniors back in the day and I still have them. Was fortunate to find a nice pair of Q2s in 2005 and they are now my mains. Still want some QLS-1s. Maybe someday. I’d keep those Q5s forever and enjoy them somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom