Quadcities CL: Sansui AU-888, TU-666, and QS-1

I’ve been in contact with the seller via phone and text. I currently have an agreement to purchase the 888 pending verification that some of the smudges in the face clean up.

I’m a little apprehensive but am really eager to get an 888 so hopefully this will work out. He posted better pics and it seems to be in good shape. I’ll update if anyone is interested.

I’ve been in contact with the seller via phone and text. I currently have an agreement to purchase the 888 pending verification that some of the smudges in the face clean up.

Excellent! That's a really nice looking piece, never seen one in person though.

Definitely would like to know if it works out for you.

Excellent! That's a really nice looking piece, never seen one in person though.

Definitely would like to know if it works out for you.

Well, I pulled the trigger today. I got to see some much better pictures and the amp is clean and 100 percent functional according to the seller. I will post pics and my initial impressions when it arrives. I expect it'll get to me end of this week or so.

Can't wait!

Well, I pulled the trigger today. I got to see some much better pictures and the amp is clean and 100 percent functional according to the seller. I will post pics and my initial impressions when it arrives. I expect it'll get to me end of this week or so.

Can't wait!

Paypal goods & services I hope. I don't need these but I would have bought the stack. Congrats in advance.

Paypal goods & services I hope. I don't need these but I would have bought the stack. Congrats in advance.
I did pay goods and services. I also considered taking the 666 just because they're cool but decided against it as they come up fairly often. I already have the QS-1 too.

Really looking forward to adding this to my Sansui stack for sure.

Update. Got the tracking number and the 888 is to be delivered on Friday. I’m out of town so I won’t get to look at it until Sunday. Pictures and impressions to come...

Here’s my update.

I was finally able to unpack the 888. I posted another thread about this but I’ll repeat it here:

It STUNK of cigarettes. I mean terrible. I had asked the seller if this came from a smoking environment prior to purchasing and he said “no”. I texted him after I received it and told him how badly it smelled. He said “weird, I’m not a smoker”.

Clearly he’s a scumbag liar.

So, I spent the last two days with cleaning alcohol, rags, q-tips, vinegar and other cleaning stuff. The amount of yellow gunk and filth that came off this amp was amazing and disgusting.

I cleaned EVERYTHING. Took all rhe knobs off as well and soaked and cleaned with toothpicks and magic eraser.

Aired it out outside in the sun. Blew a whole can of compressed air into it. Bathed the metal covers in soap and water.

It’s better but STILL smells. I’m so angry at the seller for lieing to me and then covering his lie with a bigger one.

Now the good news. It cleaned up well and sounds fantastic in the limited testing I did.

I will be trying a covered box with baking soda tomorrow. Hopefully, the smell will dimnish over time now that the amp has a good home.

Can’t overstate how much I love triple digit Sansui amps. Will be keeping my 555a as well.

Cant wait to pair it with my TU888

4711A1B4-3873-43D3-A4A6-F1F6B84D3242.jpeg F28B5CF7-EE7C-4E33-8304-5C28929B215E.jpeg
B58D2D07-8545-456D-B03D-6AB1ECD4FCE6.jpeg

Last edited:
Man so sorry to hear about the smoke problem! That sucks.

I've been down the same path several times. You've done some good cleaning and it looks great at least.

The smell will eventually go away. Put it in a room with good ventilation and air movement, and aim a table fan directly at it, I think this will speed up the process.

I'll check out your other thread too.

Back
Top Bottom