"Rega planar 78->P2 upgrades" or "Throwing Money at a Problem"

DC

"Manhattan Boy"
Subscriber
The only problem was that I had this (expensive) dedicated 78 player that was getting no use and I couldn't seem to sell it for anything close to what I had in to it. I decided that if I had to take a bath on it just to get rid of it (I couldn't manage to sell it for price of the tonearm alone; go figure.), I might as well keep it and throw money at it, instead, as it already had a P2 plinth, RB250 tonearm, 12" platter, and P25 motor assembly.

The original Rega 78 subplatter, plastic 78 motor pulley, and 78 belt were exchanged with Michael Lim (Malaysia) for a machined aluminum LP subplatter, stainless steel dual LP pulley (60Hz), and dual silicone belts. (He made a generous trade-in offer after I procured an OEM LP subplatter for a good price here on AK and was disappointed in the quality.)

I had to slightly modify a 2mm cork mat to accomodate the new subplatter sticking through the OEM fiberboard platter too much in the center and not allowing the LP to lay flat. An upgrade Acrylic platter is next on the list, as well as a real cartridge. (The RB78 cartridge was removed and a Shure M97xE is installed temporarily until a Nagaoka MP-500 comes my way. :D)

In stock (78) form:
IMG_1123.jpg

IMG_1125.jpg

new (dual) pulley:
IMG_1280.jpg

new machined subplatter:
IMG_1281.jpg

new (dual) silicone belts:
IMG_1284.jpg

Nagaoka MP-500 goes here:
IMG_1289.jpg

In position with 2mm cork mat and Nagaoka RC-401 record weight:
IMG_1307.jpg

A solution in search of a problem. Most 78 discs need a higher mass tonearm, they need stylus options and pitch control. Rega's approach is limiting. The Technics SP-15 in good order on most plinths can play all 3 speeds and offer 2 or 3 tonearms to allow easy switching between many options. Which is why those who archive and transfer vintage discs for hire use them.

Indeed. The truth is, while it played 78s just fine, it really isn't all that great a 78 player for the reasons you mention. Speed adjustment and interchangeable headshell/tonearms really are a must.

that subplatter looks amazing :thmbsp: would love to try one on my planar 3...i'd probably use neoprene dots on the glass platter just so i could see the subplatter underneath :D

Indeed. The truth is, while it played 78s just fine, it really isn't all that great a 78 player for the reasons you mention. Speed adjustment and interchangeable headshell/tonearms really are a must.

That's the same conclusion I reached when I decided to modify a Technics SL-220 to play 78s instead of buying new. The +10% pitch control and the interchangeable headshell make it a more than decent deck for the occasional 78 listener.

Looks great. How does she sound? A friend has a Planar 2 with the Lim upgrades and says that counter-weight made a noticeable improvement as well.

Remember this fact, not every application is best suited for fancy styli or frequency response which can reproduce a Gnat's fart. Sometimes less is more. If you play vintage discs, restricted frequency range is your best friend and the correct stylus size. Shibatas and Line Contact styli are things of beauty, but on vintage and imperfect records, they reveal every flaw. Sometimes, the simple conical gets you music you can enjoy without overemphasizing every fault and limitation in vintage records or imperfect records. So keep multiple styli and cartridges. Remember my Less Is More approach. Sometimes, it will get you music instead of noise.

Well, I finally got a decent cartridge on this one, Nagaoka MP-500:
IMG_1463.jpg

And 2mm spacer, to accommodate the taller cartridge:
IMG_1471.jpg

Back
Top Bottom