Replaced my C47 with a nice C48...

audiobliss

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I had always liked the look of the C48 over the C47 even before I bought the C47 about four months ago. But I went with C47 as it was the latest model with supposedly a better DAC. I also got a deal I could not refuse on it.

The C47 is a very nice sounding preamp compared to many other brands I have owned, but it was my first Mcintosh, so I had no idea how the others sounded. Although I liked the C47, I just could not get the C48 out of my head. I kept looking at it every day thinking I should have got it for the same money. Here are my reasons why.
Better RCA jacks
Easier switching between input from the remote, you don't have to scroll through to find the one you want.
Nicer chrome chassis.
The five band EQ adds more bling.
The remote is not as expensive looking, but it doesn't slip out your hand like the new skinny one dose.

So those are the main pluses. As for the DAC, its just as nice. The C47 Dac can do more for USB, but I never use USB.
It would have been nice if the digital inputs on the C48 were additional input like on the C47, instead of having to give up a analog to turn it into a digital.
Took me a while to figure that out. I kept searching the display and the remote for the digital inputs.

Anyway, as for the sound difference, I am still adjusting to the C48, but I can say for sure, it has a much tighter bottom end than the C47. The bass has no boom, no hang over, just solid. I almost want to think it dose not go as low as the C47. With the C47 I could always tell my sub is on, now I barely hear it. The C48 seems to have a deeper, wider soundstage .

So now I think I will stop wishing for awhile, I got a great deal on this one from a dealer who had it as a open box just sitting waiting for me. Even has a 3 year warranty, who would have thought. I called to ask about a C50 they advertised, and ended up with like new C48.
The C50 was a great deal too, but I really don't need more meters, and it would be a tight fit in my rack.
So I will be happy until they make the one with the sub output and Bluetooth.

AB.

Wow, that's really interesting, as a C48 owner, I like hearing this sort of thing......That's sorted out the curiosity I had with regards to whether or not I should buy another Pre-amp....

Nice work man, thanks for the review.....

I've heard both (now own a C47) and could notice slight audible differences using digital inputs with tone controls disabled. The C47 DAC seems to be slightly more detailed, which I prefer. And that includes the bass. To my ears, there is no difference in soundstage. Doubt if there is any difference in the quality of the RCA jacks. The C47 is basically a C52 without mascara.

I as well am doubtful there is much, if any, noticeable sonic difference between the C47 and C48. The C47 DAC however does have an advantage for DSD and other higher rez files. The C48 casework is more upscale, and yes the C48 jacks are more robust. Considering the casework and feature-set, the C48 likely was and still is the best value preamp from Mc.

Wow, that's really interesting, as a C48 owner, I like hearing this sort of thing......That's sorted out the curiosity I had with regards to whether or not I should buy another Pre-amp....

Nice work man, thanks for the review.....
The C47 is clearly a cost saving production. Its Dac May be a bit better, airyer in the top end, but prety soon it will be outdated also. So if that worries someone, maybe a stand alone dac is the answer.

So - is it fair to say that the C48 is simply "1" better? Lol ...

Personally, I enjoy these kinds of reports. Glad you're enjoying the C48!

There really is no "bad" choice when it comes to the modern McIntosh preamps. If you value "best bang for the buck", a unit that does everything a modern preamp is supposed to do and does it extremely well, the C47 should be on top of everyone's list.

Yeah thats it, I'm surprised you're the only one to pick it up Tony, the C48 is "1" better.......correct...

So - is it fair to say that the C48 is simply "1" better? Lol ...

Personally, I enjoy these kinds of reports. Glad you're enjoying the C48!

Its amazing how our priorities change over time. Folks today are just as concerned to day about digital issues as we were about phono cartridges or tape decks back when. For a format that was supposed to be perfect from the beginning digital formats seem to change or be upgraded every time you turn around. I still think the Mac preamps should have the ability to take a plug in module for digital processing module up grades. That way every time there is an update you all don't need to buy a new pre-amp/ Of course you could buy an analog only pre-amp and use an external device. I had to buy a MP100 to have a MC input for my C-34. As my cabinet cannot accept the newer wider units, it was my only solution. A C-22 III was not an option, because of tubes and width. I doubt Mac will ever build another narrow pre-amp let alone one with the Flexibility of a C-34 or 40. But we can always hope.

I considered both, as a used C48 is about the same price as a new C47. If McIntosh cut corners by omitting chrome sides, fancy RCA jacks, and an EQ that I personally wouldn't have used so they could put the savings into a superlative DAC, I wish they'd cut more corners to be perfectly honest. The DAC in the C47 is fantastic. The only way it will become outdated is if/when they come out with even sillier ultra-high res digital formats then they currently have (lookin' at you, MQA).

I as well am doubtful there is much, if any, noticeable sonic difference between the C47 and C48. The C47 DAC however does have an advantage for DSD and other higher rez files. The C48 casework is more upscale, and yes the C48 jacks are more robust. Considering the casework and feature-set, the C48 likely was and still is the best value preamp from Mc.
The C48 received a firmware update and can play DSD files now

Back
Top Bottom