Replacement Tweeters for JBL 4410s?

promptcurry

Over the weekend I brought my 4410s out of storage (out of a furnished attic, where they had been living for the past 5 years), and I'm in the process of restoring/repairing them.

Before I left them to sit for a while, I was in the process of replacing one of the tweeters (035TI, 180 degree inputs). I removed the old one, but never got around to getting a replacement or repairing the one I had. I was looking online to see how much replacements were, and noticed that SimplySpeakers had a replacement "JBL Style" 035TIa listed, and was wondering if anyone had an experience with their replacement speakers.

I've gone down the ebay path once before (I don't remember if the one I'm replacing is the one that I replaced a few years back), but I'm hesitant to get a replacement model if it's not going to be in the same quality ballpark.

That simplyspeaker part is not a jbl part. It is a repop, and a bad copy with very little to do with the original, other than it fits in the hole. The problem with all the old jbl stuff is there are not NOS or even new replacement parts other than foam surrounds and simple things like that. Best bet is to do what others do and buy lower value speakers in the same line and gut them for spares. I am sorry but that is how things are now.

Your tweets probably are bad for the same problem mine were. The wire that goes from the wire connector to the voice coil has corroded in to. It's not to terribly hard to solder in a new piece of wire and have them going again.

Over the weekend I brought my 4410s out of storage (out of a furnished attic, where they had been living for the past 5 years), and I'm in the process of restoring/repairing them.

Before I left them to sit for a while, I was in the process of replacing one of the tweeters (035TI, 180 degree inputs). I removed the old one, but never got around to getting a replacement or repairing the one I had. I was looking online to see how much replacements were, and noticed that SimplySpeakers had a replacement "JBL Style" 035TIa listed, and was wondering if anyone had an experience with their replacement speakers.

I've gone down the ebay path once before (I don't remember if the one I'm replacing is the one that I replaced a few years back), but I'm hesitant to get a replacement model if it's not going to be in the same quality ballpark.

There are 9 positive customer reviews of the tweeter. Since you have one good one it would be a direct comparison. You'd be doing a great service to us JBLers...:)

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/repl...1y2Y-8mrYl2dguzwq-MongRXNhdPHnxxoCkDkQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
the fact that simplyspeakers states that "
JBL 035Tia is a perfect drop in replacement for: L1, L3, L5, L7, L20T3, L40T3, L80T3, L100T3, 250TiBQ, 4312C, 4406, 4408, 4410, 4412"
should be a pretty good indication as well.

Figured I would resurrect this thread and give my experience with using the Simply Speakers copy of the 035tia. A tweeter in one of my L20Ts quit working so I figured I would give the SS version a try since this set of speakers isn't one I care to risk spending $100+ dollars on a used part that likely has a deteriorated foam damper. Keep in mind that the original tweeters in the L20Ts are 035ti and not the tia versions. It appears based on the connections not being 180 degrees opposite, the SS version might be a tia variety. Also, the working tweeter is very likely original and probably has a deteriorated foam damper. So I am not making an apples to apples comparison here.

All this said, there is a definite difference in the sound output between them. The OEM tweeter is brighter and has more of an upper midrange presence compared to the copy. I haven't heard a pristine OEM 035ti or tia in decades so for all I know the copy might be sonically closer to a pristine OEM part than the one I am comparing it to. I also have read where one should always use the same tweeter version in both speakers to keep imaging consistent. So I can't give any definitive results but I do think the SS part is a good alternative to an OEM 035ti/tia part. I would suggest buying one for each speaker to keep imaging balanced between them if this is important. I plan to replace the foam damper in the OEM tweeter to see if this brings them closer sonically. When I do I will report back here with the results. Is there anyplace to buy the foam kit besides the $24 one sold on ebay? I have a hard time paying this outrageous sum for $0.02 worth of foam.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom