Russian paper diaphrams for Altec horns

Aptone

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Has anyone tried these paper diaphrams from Russia? Found on ebay. Cheaper than Great Plains but more intrigued by the driver material. I am wondering how they sound.
upload_2020-12-5_21-46-59.png

I checked the flebay listing
Quite the selection of replacements, They might actually work well
Altec, Jbls and others Who's going to be the first to try them out???
Everyone should check out the listing for a good Laugh,
Look at other items for sale
Best 30,000$ horns in the world one horn alone weighs
2 Tones their spelling. Precision workmanship on them
:naughty:
Work well in small rooms near field
Some assembly required

Last edited:
Best 30,000$ horns in the world

Ha! I had not checked out the rest of their offerings, including the 4 x 4 x 8 meter horns. At least shipping is free! I wonder how the neighbors like them? Gotta admire their passion.

upload_2020-12-6_2-47-29.png

I will need to ponder a bit before I commit to sending money to Russia to try a pair of the diaphrams.

I don't see how paper can compete against properly formed Aluminum. You can still get originals from Great Plains Audio that have been improved for better high frequency response and handling of more power. Juat a look at the improved performance of the 604 series with the new diaphragms.

I will need to ponder a bit before I commit to sending money to Russia to try a pair of the diaphrams.

I buy a lot of tubes and other things from Russia and other new countries from cccp time they are very good to trade with the only thing that is negative is the time for shipping.

If they changed the design, i'd buy a pair tomorrow.

But, with the lead-in conductor termination being cemented well into the speaking portion of the dome, i'll save my money for some 21st century engineering.

I will be buying a pair of radian 16 Ohm diaphragms, for my Soon to be Re coned 604 G's. Just like the ones I sold 25 yrs ago.
Stronger mids, than the orig Altecs. I can't hear the extended highs anyway.
Although I here there are a few early ones that have some issues of delaminations of the surrounds

Last edited:
I will be buying a pair of radian 16 Ohm diaphragms, for my Soon to be Re coned 604 G's. Just like the ones I sold 25 yrs ago.
Stronger mids, than the orig Altecs. I can't here the extended highs anyway.
Although I here there are a few early ones that have some issues of delaminations of the surrounds

I have since I bought my 604E wondered how Radian stands against the original if I need to replace mine the day they no longer work.

It may not make a hoot of difference.

But, fundamentally, to me, it just seems wrong.
If they're cheap enough, it might still be fun to experiment with them. Ya' never know. They might just sound fantastic. Or they might be crap. Or somewhere in between, the most likely outcome.

The paper diaphragms are probably good for midrange, but not for high frequencies.

That's generally what happens with phenolic diaphragms- the closest material to these. Very rugged, smooth sound, but not much above 10kHz whatsoever.

Regards,
Gordon.

I've heard some C-V and E-V tweets with phenolics that were nice. Though, they probably didn't go much over 17K truth be told. But they were smooth and pleasant.

While looking closely at the replacement Diaphragms for the 4" JBL's, the voice coils aren't edgewound ribbon, but look like they are twisted multi stranded round wire.
you can count the coils. either 14 or 17, They can't be as efficient as the originals. the ebay listing is gone.
Did anyone order any?

JBL made phenolic ( paper impregnated with resin ) diaphragms for all of their one and two inch Alnico drivers for years to sell as voice range horn drivers for public address. Yes they might work as long as you don't expect much from the driver about 3k hz . Not much point to them for hifi use where you rarely get anywhere close to the excursion limits of aluminum or titanium.

Has anyone tried these paper diaphrams from Russia? Found on ebay. Cheaper than Great Plains but more intrigued by the driver material. I am wondering how they sound.
View attachment 2056548

Back
Top Bottom