Sansui 220

river25

Hi,

I recently got a nice Sansui 220 stereo valve receiver. The original owner bought it new in 1966 and got married a very short time later, so he packed it back up. Never been used all that time.

So I now got it. It's like new, original package, manuals and receipt. It's a lovely amp. I use it to play vinyl on a JVC LF41, with sound from a nice pair of Paradigms. The centre channel is connected to a Yammy subwoofer.

Lovely amp with a sweet smooth sound.

river

River,

Congrats! Very nice! Even though it was used very little it is very wise to recap it as you risk the Transformers and Output Tubes. Never leave it running alone and be ready to shut it down the split second you notice a change in the sound till it's done.

The Sansui's used PIO caps which will fail suddenly. They are grey round caps and usually there are many. May have Suzuki on them. The PS caps (aluminum can up top and some under chassis) though better will have dried out a lot to and will cause you grief later.

The SS diodes in the PS may be a wise item to replace also for low cost.

Just replace one cap at a time so you don't mix anything up, testing in between. As you may know always have a load on the speaker terminals or you risk the output transformers.

If you post some under chassis shots that would be helpfull also!

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. The amp was only played for a very short while. I de-ox'd the switches and pots and that removed scratchiness. It's back in the box as I got too much other stuff out and getting a pool room extension being done, and it will come back when the room is finished.

I never took the underneath off the unit, but will do so next time I bring it out. Then I'll do as you advised, thanks again.

river

Thanks for sharing that River. That is a sweet looking Sansui and should sound very good with those 6BM8 output tubes.

Hi,

Thanks. I'll give it special care and re-cap when I get the listening room sorted out for it.

It only does mono FM, but the manual says I can get a Sansui MPX thing to get stereo. I assume this device would be an old unit, which means expensive and hard to find, and condition unknown. However, the amp has an AUX input, so I can connect a stereo tuner there.

So, I'm on the hunt for a tuner that will match this amps looks and style. There's a couple of Sansui tuners on eBay which look interesting, but also there are some Luxman tuners that have a very period Sansui-like look. So, time to do some investigating for tuners for this baby.

river

I like the photography, black and white except for the blue on the record label and the writing on the box until we get to the inside of this tube unit and BAM the tubes light up the unit in nice color with great tube glow. Nice.

Hi,

Yeah... had the camera set on the wrong mode when I took some of the pics, so that was the effect it gave. Don't know why but looks good. Changed the setting to what it should be and that's why the valves glow and colour came back.

Love to say I did some fancy photoshop work but I didn't. That's how the pics came out.

river

Back
Top Bottom