Sansui 5000a - 1040 boards a big deal?

bberkom

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I am thinking about picking up a Sansui 5000a on craigslist, and I am pretty sure it has not been modified at all and will have the original 1040 boards in it. I am not really wanting to get it worked over or do the mods I have seen myself if I can help it. The receiver is in great shape, but is it worth grabbing one of these with the potential to catch on fire? I think the build date is in June 1970 based on the serial number, but don't all of the 5000a's have the 1040 boards? Thanks.

It must be raining Sansui 5000A's out there lot's of post these past couple weeks. Not all of them have the 1040 board. The reason I know this is the one I just picked up has the 1063 boards I have no idea when they started doing this I just got lucky. I believe there are mods you can do to this board to make it a stable performer plus I have seen a couple pair of 1063's on E-Bay I don't know whats involved with swapping a 1063 for a 1040 but I bet their is lots of info out there.

It isn't safe to run a 5000 series receiver without the corrective modifications, which as I understand it are only required for the units fitted with the 1040 board.

Also my understanding is that just fitting the later (modified) boards does not make the receiver safe. (more to it than that).

As I say, 'my understanding', you need someone who is more familiar with this model to give you the bottom line on this.

I posted now, before it is too late, to prevent you damaging your favourite speakers or the receiver itself.

It isn't safe to run a 5000 series receiver without the corrective modifications, which as I understand it are only required for the units fitted with the 1040 board.

Also my understanding is that just fitting the later (modified) boards does not make the receiver safe. (more to it than that).

As I say, 'my understanding', you need someone who is more familiar with this model to give you the bottom line on this.

I posted now, before it is too late, to prevent you damaging your favourite speakers or the receiver itself.
Thanks for the response. I plan on doing the board mods for sure. I'm looking for a project anyways to kill some time, so it'll get fixed before I use it regularly. As I've continued researching, it still seems like a worthy receiver but not worth burning my house down without the mods.

Mine don't have the mod, yet! Many of these wonderful receivers have survived from the late 60s and quite a few were brought home from SEA in the late 60s & early 70s. I attribute the survival of mine to not trying to blare music to the neighborhood. Some have said that the long survival of some of these 1040 bds indicates that not all of the components had the same problems but it is better to be safe than . . . . .

Skippy124's excellent instructions for this mod can be found at post #431 of this sticky: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...ly-asked-and-more.144580/page-22#post-4347793

Don't procrastinate as long as I have.

Mine don't have the mod, yet! Many of these wonderful receivers have survived from the late 60s and quite a few were brought home from SEA in the late 60s & early 70s. I attribute the survival of mine to not trying to blare music to the neighborhood. Some have said that the long survival of some of these 1040 bds indicates that not all of the components had the same problems but it is better to be safe than . . . . .

Skippy124's excellent instructions for this mod can be found at post #431 of this sticky: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...ly-asked-and-more.144580/page-22#post-4347793

Don't procrastinate as long as I have.

Ghazzer, we have restored quite a few 5000/A/X. I was quite curious about the problem, ie. catching on fire, overheating, etc. I tend to agree with you about this. If it hasn't caught on fire in 45 years, I don't think it is too likely that it will now.

I have two 5000's personally. I was quite curious about this problem and have experimented a bit. On two units with the original 1040 boards, recapped and gone over but not modified, I tried various scenarios.

1. Just playing in normal use, a lot. No problems
2. Playing loud, bass heavy music. Bias set when warm.
3. Playing loud, bass heavy music. Bias set when cold.

First of all, by later standards, the heat sink area on the 5000 series is small. This means they can get quite hot.

I found that there was a condition, when the bias was set cold, where the unit would basically go into thermal runaway, or what would almost be thermal runaway. Run really hard the heatsinks would get quite hot, and when the loudness was backed down, they would not cool off. The bias current was then quite high and stayed there, because it had been set cold. I would imagine that If I played very loud for a long time with the bias set like this, thermal runaway could occur, and perhaps a burning component at some point.

With the bias set by first setting the bias at almost zero, then running the unit loud, until hot, then setting the bias to factory spec, no quasi thermal runaway condition would ever occur. Now perhaps with some of the original units, and certain components out of spec, or even close to out of spec, this problem occurred. I think all those units have weeded themselves out. I just don't think it is a realistic concern with surviving 1040 board 5000's.

We do the mod if customers want us to, no problem. I haven't done it for two units that I have. One of them plays in a warehouse business that I own a part of, and it gets played really loud for long periods of time. No problems after almost 6 mos. of running.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.

Last edited:
Thanks - Good info, and your 2¢ are well worth the read!

I intend to eventually give two of these 5000s to my brothers, but not until I have modified the boards. I'd rather be on the safe side.

The parts are already set up and ready to install, but I'm guessing that the R&R of the 1040 bds is the more difficult step.

Those instructions are super helpful. I think I can definitely handle that. I am going to pick it up today I hope. I am planning on making it a project anyways to get it in tip top shape for years to come. Seems like it is better to be safe than sorry with the 1040 boards as you guys have said, even if the receiver is working fine right now.

So I got the receiver today, and it is in perfect cosmetic shape. The guy I bought it from said he has already replaced one of the 1040 boards with another 1040. I opened it up, and It looks to me like the new board has been modified (right channel). The other board has not been modified, and it shows some signs of the other board blowing. See photos. Looks like the bias adjustment and the one cap have seen some heat. I am not exactly sure what I am looking at. Does the mod on the right channel seem to have been done correctly? How much should I worry about what I am seeing on the other board as far as what looks to be heat damage? Receiver works fine.
View media item 8161View media item 8160

image.jpeg image.jpeg
My newly acquired 5000a has original F-1040 boards but looks like someone had done some work/applied heat on the lower part of one of the boards from the heat marks on the wires and one of the capacitors?
The receiver works perfectly, the heat sinks only were 105-110 degrees F by my IR Thermometer, after 2 hours of playing.
Any update on your unit?

Last edited:
Your board has some differences and then I noticed it says F-1040-1 on the corner.
Was that board any better or worse than the F-1040?

No idea about differences in the boards. Still haven't touched mine, but I plan to do the diode mod to my boards eventually when it floats to the top of the pile.

Mas993: Very good pics, and Welcome to AK.

IIRC all the driver boards in my 5000 and two 5000As are the original F-1040. I have bookmarked this thread (and others) for the day when I get back to my original Sansui.

Thanks - - -

BTW bberkom - we will be in Nashville for Christmas and my Mother's 95th birthday.

Mas993: Very good pics, and Welcome to AK.

IIRC all the driver boards in my 5000 and two 5000As are the original F-1040. I have bookmarked this thread (and others) for the day when I get back to my original Sansui.

Thanks - - -

BTW bberkom - we will be in Nashville for Christmas and my Mother's 95th birthday.
Wow 95! That's great. Not sure how long it's been since you last saw Nashville, but if it's more than ten years ago, you won't recognize it.

Back
Top Bottom