Sansui SR-838 or buy something else?

chrispaw

There's a Sansui SR 838 that is going to go for about $400. Not an amount I can easily laugh at, but I really want to upgrade my TT and want to get myself something nice for my birthday. I am currently using an entry level Technics BD-22.

Being this is an auction item, my questions are as follows:

1. Is there a better comparable TT for around the same price?
2. If the SR 838 is in need of repair, how easy is it to fix?
3. Am I just better off buying something new? As opposed to taking this risk?

Thanks in advance. :thmbsp:

There really isn't anything new at $400 that would be as nice, in my opinion. New tables don't start getting great until around $1000.

The SR-838 and SR-929 are the best turntables Sansui ever built. Either one is well worth getting, if the price is fair. I'm not sure what a fair market price is these days, but in comparison with what you'd get new, the $400 seems well worth it. About the only way to get better value is to either stumble across a great deal on another quality used/vintage table (which might or might not happen, or might take a long time to happen), or invest a lot of time and work on a DIY Lenco upgrade. I suggest you try to negotiate the price down, but whatever price is struck, treat yourself to a birthday present, and enjoy the heck out of it!

Yes
Get it!
The SR-838 is a great table. Very well designed with a nice tonearm and they sound great. Also just about the most beautiful TT ever made IMO.
As long as it is fully functional that is not a bad price. You can find them for less occasionally but they usually go for more than that but if you get it you won't be disappointed. I was always a Denon TT user until I got an SR-838 and now it is my favorite of all my decks.
Also, its tonearm is of a medium mass and suitable for a wide variety of carts so you would have lots of versatility there.

The SR-838 has cracked the $1000 mark on eBay. It's a very functional beauty. I've had mine for about 7 years with no problems.

I paid $350 before shipping. Like with any turntable I'd be concerned about safe delivery.

That is a very awesome table..but

Love that table and the 929...but just be cautious..some have been known to have electronic speed issues and could NOT be fixed..very complex and the parts are unobtanium...

For those that have them and are working...Lucky dogs..nice nice tables

I have the 636 which is almost identical to the 838 but without the Quartz lock feature. I love it. It's a well built TT, heavy and reliable.

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to see if I can get it. I'm scared about the unobtanium parts though but I guess it's worth a shot. Thanks everyone.

Don't sweat the parts, any of the better TTs should only require a recap due to age if well cared for. Nothing new for $400 will be in competition, probably have to spend $1500+ to equal it with a new turntable today. Well worth the $400 risk.

I always coveted the sexy 929 model a bit.

The 838 is said to perform extremely well, and was used by some magazines as a test table due to it's excellent performance.

You get a lot of table for your money.

Best of luck.

Believe it or not I picked up an SR 838 from my neighbors garage sale for ten bucks. I even tried to give her a little more but she refused. It's in great shape and after replacing the stylus and adjusting I really enjoyed it. Then one day I turned it on and it started spinning at super high rpm. I mean really fast. Removed the top and the motor and everything looks fine. Now it will only spin fast like this. Anybody have an idea what is going on?

First thing I would do, is replace all the electrolytic caps, then you can trouble shoot the cause if it is still apparent.

Someone here and maybe a tech' may have a different approach.

this is the issue i mentioned

Believe it or not I picked up an SR 838 from my neighbors garage sale for ten bucks. I even tried to give her a little more but she refused. It's in great shape and after replacing the stylus and adjusting I really enjoyed it. Then one day I turned it on and it started spinning at super high rpm. I mean really fast. Removed the top and the motor and everything looks fine. Now it will only spin fast like this. Anybody have an idea what is going on?

It could be a simple as a speed control mark under the platter or the board itself which is impossible to find. Like I said, love the table and working, they are awesome. Speed control issues and you are stuck.

Google it and see...

Back
Top Bottom