Signet TK7LCa - they're still out there!

Aerobat

Class A all the way
The wife and I were at a local Farmers / Flea market Saturday and I of course was scanning the junk tables for vintage electronics. It was mostly 90s components that were evidently pulled from dumpsters, but sitting out in the sun by itself on its original box was a lonely, dirty, scuffed plastic TT. Upon lifting the lid and pulling the headshell I find this Signet:

y4mX7ylKkxjXDgaz3PqU6JwSfpsOgRjp84SNaY4WaPFXJnUU5Uzbpgg-Dx1phNqhGAVuQo1o7mHehpvnOVCssJp9wR8VYrmDUazKR9-odqd3QJd6GWb-MUDD7Yiyj-edeOlhm6-B8aLT66nsLnCuwK2k33tFhwrBbRGaa_ODf-Avp51XCZe3nKj70OHHN8FKWJy1TCKxKph6Cgw0XVh-Q8ddQ

$25 later the table was tucked away in the car, and back at home, the cart looks like this:
y4me3Z554nsrOZVPCRGrBryfJzf7XLooRV7CuYjNum0nSZv3TqRM1hWROHlRRSruUOl4XsGuZCpuDaZ6osqqg_VA5ssE0jD2XCsugCqnAzlZSgTNLAg-Koky0Ru8hDoybBi4FC7Z7n4JmwYMg5Z_xgQFIG7KJMOkw6BcOpRAbmkEsvKm1enwVqVRvcFvIXuJH5YXGnb33dCesu66tBOtHTTrA

y4mKO6o51sF6l3hmFac4qYs51ZmIpux0aUQM-iUJzJuvSX8OmSqC38NLqYadeb7cVPGeB5eACiVSkHC4cvnhZFnHdXBI53uYG1Gi9lyaRqT70tzSf_MSOxN_7MUVaOqB9kopnOE8yZUH2VMXUCOXfKcX4sF29w2blxI1o7xW6C1B5_P9MDcbK5MzkLCwMRyudBKA-8SBTS-05GsDEwAcSf6sw

I mounted it up in the main rig and WOW what a sound this thing has. The trademark AT brightness/forwardness is there, but Joe Morello's cymbals never sounded better. Definitely a keeper. My neighbor uses a 440MLb and we're going to do a comparison.

Oh, and the table cleaned up nicely. I never had one that sets tracking force and antiskate with one knob.The fact that the Signet was mounted on such a gentle automatic probably preserved it.

y4mm7HW8-tx0pdo7oC9FQnNWHr4AIq_pMujpZSohnR7rEVFu4tQre9MNB8M2bdGRlKX9Ilt3fKqDgmh-MRKm3SJBAZ_l8UwJMPkizETeI6Mz1EZjh5g-jE-nKgzQInBdr-pqhnSsM5vQEcszjMRR77vVIyHe2WiJhNDBjLitdCtcmYhk4sjoeOoWpl_srVCRC9qik4uO4lRQi_ERcMjY224fQ

So the moral of the story is: Remember to keep looking for those diamonds in the rough (on second thought, please don't!) :banana:

Interesting. Roll over to VE and look up the Signets and there is Aerobat supplying the OM for the TK3Ea. I guess he has been a fan for years.

Interesting. Roll over to VE and look up the Signets and there is Aerobat supplying the OM for the TK3Ea. I guess he has been a fan for years.

I have no memory of that! Must have scored one on a TT at some point.

I did buy a new AM20 around 1990 and our toddler at the time pulled the cantilever off. The next time I broke out the TT was 2010 and I've been going gangbusters ever since.

Found this on Audiogon in the infamous MM vs. MC thread:

"Audio magazine reviewed the TK7lca in 1984, tested to within 1db, 20 to 20k and balance 0.5db 20 to 20k. Other observations were excellent separation, extremely smooth response curve and uncolored response. Closing comments: "We considered it exceptional on every record we subjected it to and a challenge for any cartridge on the market -fixed-coil or moving-coil- at any price."

Given that the Denon DP-15F was also introduced in 1984, I can only assume they were bought together and seldom used. Also, the box has handwritten on it :Sassafras Audio, Inc 509 Old York Road Jenkintown PA.

Great find, especially for the price!
I got my TK5ea from a pretty worn table for just a bit more than you paid. I stuck an NOS AT125lc on it. Really nice combo.

Enjoy it, and welcome to the rare world of signet! i have one and 2 tk9 that sound wonderful.

Back
Top Bottom