Speaker score - paradigm studio 100

P. S.

Cheers!
Got these for $100 from a guy in my neighborhood. It is version 1 from late 90s. Condition is excellent - I needed to remove one stain from the grille. Otherwise perfect!

Originally wanted to sell them for profit but yesterday hooked them up and... YES they are staying with me ;)

I now drive them with Sony TA-636 (60WPC) and tried Onkyo TX-2500(30WPC). Also have MCS3275 (75WPC)
Seems like both Sony and Onkyo do decent job (I can't turn up Onkyo dial past 11 as the sound gets too loud) but I heard that to make these speakers really sing I need something beyond 100WPC. Don't have such amp now.

Can you share your experience with paradigms - does super beefy amp make really that difference to justify investment?

Attachments

• 61D797DF-BB69-4F1D-869E-CAA9E98E01AE.jpeg
    61D797DF-BB69-4F1D-869E-CAA9E98E01AE.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Yes, that is a great deal!

I’ve had quite a few pairs of paradigms, and they all benefit from a hefty amplifier. I definitely recommend 100 watts plus per channel.

Great speakers and quite a score! Yeah, you would need a beefier amp definitely. I had (and still have) a few Pradigms and they sound better with some power behind. Enjoy!

@P. S.

Just out of curiosity, where are you located? I've been looking at a pair of the Studio 100 v1's that are in Rosewood, I believe. About the same price range, too.

If you research them, they prefer a high current amp more so than an AV receiver but might work "ok" with it. They drop down to 2 ohms, or so, from about 50hz to 200hz or somewhere in that range. I've got a major upgraded/updated 460wpc Carver M-1.0t MkII Opt 002 amp that I run on the lesser efficient speakers I own as the Belle clone I built, at 104db@1-watt, don't really need much at all.

I always liked the Paradigm speakers, both the Monitor and Studio series, and I sold them at retail around 1987 or so along with the JBL "L" series. Both were great speakers teamed up with Denon and Adcom gear that we also sold.

Last edited:
Thank you for feedback. Looks like I found a good excuse to buy more gear for my collection.

@avguytx I am in Austin TX metro area. There is big hype for vintage audio right here. I contacted the seller around 30min after he posted the advert. He told me later on he had tons of people asking for these speakers...

Thank you for feedback. Looks like I found a good excuse to buy more gear for my collection.

@avguytx I am in Austin TX metro area. There is big hype for vintage audio right here. I contacted the seller around 30min after he posted the advert. He told me later on he had tons of people asking for these speakers...

Yeah, over the last 10 to 12 years, the market has seen less and less deals anymore. But they are still out there on occasion

Awesome score! And local! I love reading about scores like this and glad you made the decision to keep them, which is my problem! What was the seller powering them with?
Hope you enjoy them for many years!
Glenn

@GD70 I don't have that beefy amp to get out of them all the potential. I own mostly medium-powered intergrated pieces from the 70s.But well - that's a good excuse to buy some more gear!
Right now tried 3 amps: MCS 3275 (75wpc), Sony TA-636 (60wpc), and Onkyo-TX2500 MkI (27wpc) . Not that I am an audiophile and I am aware the receivers are not optimal for these speakers but here's the impressions. Obviously with these speakers the most straining task is for sure woofer control.
MCS renders best results as it has overall and best controlled bass (it is very "tight" in this receiver).
SONY - OK but was the least time on the rotation.
And surprisingly... Onkyo rendered VERY good results even though rated 27wpc! I expected muddy bass etc. due - none of that happened. Did not get even warm when I cranked it up. I think Onkyo rated power in this guy VERY conservatively - but well - it was 70s.

I also hooked up a modern Onkyo I bought new a year ago with 45wpc - mediocre results. Tinny sound, muddy bass.

@GD70 I don't have that beefy amp to get out of them all the potential. I own mostly medium-powered intergrated pieces from the 70s.But well - that's a good excuse to buy some more gear!
Right now tried 3 amps: MCS 3275 (75wpc), Sony TA-636 (60wpc), and Onkyo-TX2500 MkI (27wpc) . Not that I am an audiophile and I am aware the receivers are not optimal for these speakers but here's the impressions. Obviously with these speakers the most straining task is for sure woofer control.
MCS renders best results as it has overall and best controlled bass (it is very "tight" in this receiver).
SONY - OK but was the least time on the rotation.
And surprisingly... Onkyo rendered VERY good results even though rated 27wpc! I expected muddy bass etc. due - none of that happened. Did not get even warm when I cranked it up. I think Onkyo rated power in this guy VERY conservatively - but well - it was 70s.

I also hooked up a modern Onkyo I bought new a year ago with 45wpc - mediocre results. Tinny sound, muddy bass.
Interesting results. Not surprised with the MCS being the most powerful.
When I worked my way up the audio food chain, every time i added a more powerful amp, the improvements were quite evident. When I first hooked up the JVC M-705 power amp to the ADS 910's, my jaw dropped! Doubling the power from the previous integrated, 100wpc to 210wpc (bench figure) was shocking. So I'd suggest, when you can, upgrade your amp and you'll be quite happy.
Glenn

Back
Top Bottom