Sub on Heresey l

ccawker

I have a Sansui AU717 and a pair of Klipsch Heresey 1 speakers.I want to put 1 or 2 subs on these,crossed over at around 50hz.
How would i hook it up?
Powered or not?
12" or 15"?
I need all the help i can get...thank you.
p.s.
I am also picking up a Kenwood Model Eleven lll if thats any help(changing power source?)

The Sub you get will ultimately determine how you hook it up. :)

The easiest hook up is gonna be "High Level Inputs," speaker wires run from the receiver to the sub and from the sub to the Receiver/Integrated Amp in your case. By and large "powered sub" tends to be the preferred choice for the most part. A powered sub takes the load of the Main Amp and then there is ported or sealed??

I have both and I tend to "prefer sealed" in larger subs; for music myself, but there are good units in either design. You did not give a budget (Yet??) But Parts Express has a unit that is relatively inexpensive.:
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1500-15-150-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-634

They have another that is about 50 bucks less but it only goes down to 50 hz, so not really worth the trouble with Heresy's with there smaller unit??

And there is always Cl if your OK with used?? You could find well just about anything locally "sub wise" near you perhaps?? And if your gonna spend real money ... PIA that it may be. You could ask if you could bring "your speakers" to try it out?? In any case if you buy "used" off Cl, you should "hear" it first. Bad plate amps with powered subs ... is not uncommon. :)

I'm going to sound like a broken record, since I always say this: but if you're fortunate enough to have an amp with pre-out/main-in jacks, (and the AU-717 does), then I'd run pre-out to an external x-over. Hi-out of the x-over back to amp-in, and lo-out to the sub. Just my 2-cents. And I know this means you'll have to buy one more piece of equipment, and I know how we hate that in this forum. ;)

The Sub you get will ultimately determine how you hook it up. :)

The easiest hook up is gonna be "High Level Inputs," speaker wires run from the receiver to the sub and from the sub to the Receiver/Integrated Amp in your case. By and large "powered sub" tends to be the preferred choice for the most part. A powered sub takes the load of the Main Amp and then there is ported or sealed??

I have both and I tend to "prefer sealed" in larger subs; for music myself, but there are good units in either design. You did not give a budget (Yet??) But Parts Express has a unit that is relatively inexpensive.:
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1500-15-150-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-634

They have another that is about 50 bucks less but it only goes down to 50 hz, so not really worth the trouble with Heresy's with there smaller unit??

And there is always Cl if your OK with used?? You could find well just about anything locally "sub wise" near you perhaps?? And if your gonna spend real money ... PIA that it may be. You could ask if you could bring "your speakers" to try it out?? In any case if you buy "used" off Cl, you should "hear" it first. Bad plate amps with powered subs ... is not uncommon. :)
ok,my room is carpeted and is 22 x 10 and my speakers are in the corners (as my pic shows)...would you do 1 or 2 subs,as if it is 2,i will just put them under my speakers which will also give me a cleaner look as i have a pair of Klipsch KG4s on top of my Hereseys and i could just get rid of those..Also some say that certain subs are not "fast" enough for music to keep up with the Hereseys being how efficient they are(whatever that means)Also,I do not listen to much music that goes close to 20hz(classic rock vinyl guy) so for my space could i get the 2 Dayton 12s because i think i would only need to get down to around 35hz maximum and some have suggested the smaller 12s would be a little better for music.plan on crossing over at around 60hz...yay or nay on this.also on the 12s it says the frequency response goes from 25 to 140hz but it also says this" Crossover frequency control: Continuously variable from 40 Hz to 140 Hz @ 12 dB/octave,i dont get that.So does it go to 40 or 25?I probably want to crossover my Hereseys at around 50 or so.This is the Dayton sub 1200 i am speaking of.The extra money for the 12s do not matter to me if it would be a better setup than the 1 15".

Last edited:
ok,my room is carpeted and is 22 x 10 and my speakers are in the corners (as my pic shows)...would you do 1 or 2 subs,as if it is 2,i will just put them under my speakers which will also give me a cleaner look as i have a pair of Klipsch KG4s on top of my Hereseys and i could just get rid of those..Also some say that certain subs are not "fast" enough for music to keep up with the Hereseys being how efficient they are(whatever that means)Also,I do not listen to much music that goes close to 20hz(classic rock vinyl guy) so for my space could i get the 2 Dayton 12s because i think i would only need to get down to around 35hz maximum and some have suggested the smaller 12s would be a little better for music.plan on crossing over at around 60hz...yay or nay on this.
The Heresy's will certainly go to down to the 50's?? The KG 4's go lower than that. And I still use a sub with mine.

But as a general rule of thumb ... smaller subs are faster 12's vs 15's, for example. And again, generally speaking, sealed subs are better for music and ported subs are better for HT. But hey that was an old school rule of thumb and things have ceratinly changed in sub world. :)

also on the 12s it says the frequency response goes from 25 to 140hz but it also says this" Crossover frequency control: Continuously variable from 40 Hz to 140 Hz @ 12 dB/octave,i dont get that.So does it go to 40 or 25?I probably want to crossover my Hereseys at around 50 or so.This is the Dayton sub 1200 i am speaking of.The extra money for the 12s do not matter to me if it would be a better setup than the 1 15".
LOL well thanks for that! I misunderstood also?? I did not see the frequency specs but if you read that ... it all makes sense! :)

The crossover point is "variable" you can set it as high as 140 hz and as low as 40hz on both of those. All Bass 40hz or lower goes to the sub. I was curious, sigh ... so I took a flashlight, moved the lamp of my DT Powered sub to see it's crossover point and I saw 50 hz?? Well it does play lower than that but 50 hz is as low as I can set the low crossover point. So any bass lower than 50hz, goes to the sub. :)

So that said ... either of those (PE) subs would work! And as for one or two subs?? I only use one (sub) myself. And as a general rule of thumb Bass below 80 hz is omni directional. As long as you don't go crazy with the bass gain on the sub ... you won't know it's there unless you turn it off. But if you set the crossover point above 80, you can localize the bass, if that is the case (tiny mains and higher than 80 hz crossover point) you'd "need" two subs. But with full range speakers, anything that goes down to at least 40 hz generally speaking (no pun intended) you don't "need" two subs. :)

Lets say your Hersey woofers move a 1/4 of an inch at 50 hz. Thats 9 pi cu inches. to gain the same level at 20 Hz the volume needed would be say 25 pi cu inches for safety sakes. Thats a 10 inch woofer moving 1 inch. I d rather have a 15 inch woofer moving 1/2 inch. Two Hersey's two sub woofers. . I personally would prefer two M&K subs with two 12's in the same enclosure powered. JBL makes some professional and DD series subs you could power with a Crown amps. Klipsch even makes a 15 ' sub that would mate with your Hersey's. Just remember you want two. How you filter the Herseys to protect them is a good question. Some Klipsch subs do that for you. You send the speaker output to the subs first and then to the satellite speakers. Push comes to shove you could design a 12 db/octave filter for 8 ohms. It would decouple the 12 inch woofer from the amp, but then being in a sealed enclosure that wouldn't be to much of an issue.

Klipsch SP l 150 reaches 18 HZ but has 6 db more out put than you need, so you could get by with one speaker. The problem is interfacing with your amp. If your amp is split with out for the pre-amp section and inputs for the amps section all you need is two wye connections and run the line level levels to the Klipsch sub. The SPL 120 only reaches to 25 hz so in this case I would compromise and use the one SPL150 rather than two SPL 120. My oldest son has one of the previous models to the SPL 150 that he uses with a RF 7 MK II system and it does a great job for his HT. 6.1 system.For stereo it will be the issue if you want two subs to maintain the imagery in the bass of a stereo system. Some folks think its theoretically un-necessary to have two subs. I beg to differ.

Back
Top Bottom