Suggestions for speakers to pair with Marantz 2225? Preferably under $200

minolta1888

Just picked up a Marantz 2225 stereo amp that does 25 watts per channel, and I'm wondering what I should look for in speakers with this amp on somewhat of a budget.

I’d recommend Klipsch if you are ok with a forward (some might say harsh) sound. They’re efficient which is good for low power. Mine seem tamed down a bit with my Marantz 2230 (vs my Yamaha RX-596).

What are your sonic preferences? Bright or dark? Mellow or more in your face?

Last edited:
I use a 1060 integrated amp and 2235B receiver (with 30 and 35 watts / channel) with a pair of ADS L520's quite often. These are around 93dB efficient and play very nicely and as loud as I'd want with lower power. They also do well with L780's, which are not efficient. These are not current models (AKA used), so prices will vary, but the L520's are generally cheap. Depending on how loud you listen and how big your space is, many other models will work well, too. I've also used a pair of Dahlquist DQM-9's, and they sound very good with these Marantz units, too.

I also use a 1060, and have had a 2226 as well. I’ve used lots of acoustic suspension speakers with them. 25 or 30 watts can still push inefficient speakers to some decent levels.
I use some DIY Altecs with my 1060, and horns sound good with the Marantz.

I’d recommend Klipsch if you are ok with a forward (some might say harsh) sound. They’re efficient which is good for low power. Mine seem seem tamed down a bit with my Marantz 2230 (vs my Yamaha RX-596).

What are your sonic preferences? Bright or dark? Mellow or more in your face?
I'm really new to serious audio stuff so I'm not sure, but if I had to say I think I'd lean more towards dark. What do you prefer?

I prefer a brighter sound but honestly my Klipschs can get fatiguing. I can listen to my B&Ws all day. Model DM302, they are under $200 and seem well-respected. I’d definitely recommend them.

I prefer a brighter sound but honestly my Klipschs can get fatiguing. I can listen to my B&Ws all day. Model DM302, they are under $200 and seem well-respected. I’d definitely recommend them.
Just thought I'd let you know, I picked up a pair of DM302s and they sound great! thanks for the suggestion

After your reply I searched on craigslist and there just happened to be a pair on sale near me that I got for $120.

This is for a vinyl setup. Currently alternating between a Dual 1264 turntable and a Dual 1237. Also have a Kenwood KD3100 TT and AudiTechnica LP120, but not using these just now. I am a child of the late 60's/early 70's and LOVE all things 70's music. I have collected about 500 more records, in addition to my originals from way-back-then and am looking for full, clear sound, maybe leaning slightly towards the warmer end of the sound spectrum. I tend to move my system around from time to time, from the family room, to the kitchen when I'm cooking/baking and the living room when we party.

Back
Top Bottom