*super rare* jvc nivico the perfect stereo $200.00 obo-(san antonio)

Mingo

stranger in a strange land
Subscriber
Looks to be a nice little console on the San Antonio CL. I am busting at the console seams or I might have to check it out.

From the ad: I need room in my garage is the only reason this baby is for sale. It is very rare in regards that it has separate components unlike all other consoles. It has a radio, record player, which I am listening to right now, and a Reel to Reel player. I have not used the Reel to Reel player because I have no reels, but it works when I press the buttons. I am sure the heads will need to be cleaned though. The console on the right has a ring of a drink on top. It comes with the original interconnect cable that is needed. For a faster and better chance to own, please call me, Robert at 210 643 xxxx.

5Ld5G65M33F73Ja3N9c74851d4e2fe4e116b7.jpg

5Nd5E25M53K83I73Lfc746f615c7a7d1e18d0.jpg

Is 200.00 a fair price for this set up? I would like to purchase this, but have knowledge of what something like this goes for typically. Bi have no problem paying full price if it is indeed worth it.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks guys.

In my view - it's a novelty. I doubt any electronics in there are worth listening to. But it's such a lovely novelty... :)

It's nice looking and in good shape but the JVC / Nivico lineup was budget priced department store gear, about on a par with Capehart and Morse / Electrophonic. Basically an entry level receiver and a BSR turntable with a ceramic cartridge and a flip-over needle. It is really cool looking and I'd like to see a pic of the tape deck just out of curiosity, but sound-wise I don't think it's worth 2 bills IMO.

It is very pretty, but yeah... I don't see the actually portion being some killer audiophile dream come true. But, I bet it has a nice vintage sound! Very pretty, though.

that looks amazing! I would tend to agree that it probably wont sound like 200 bucks, but it certainly looks like 200 bucks :yes:

It looks to be in very nice condition. It's obviously not the last word in sound quality, but it's beautiful and a nice conversation piece. If I had unlimited space I'd spend $150 on it.

Thanks everyone!

I picked them up for 160, they sound really good. The seller let me take a listen. Now all I need are some R2Rs. Any suggestions on what to use to clean the heads? I really loved these for the look first, function second.

I have a 1960's ranch and wanted to get some nice pieces to complement the feel of the house.

I'm going to clean them up and correct the ring damage on the lid.

I'll post before and after.

I really appreciate the help.

Welcome to AK boldski! I always used rubbing achohol on a clean qtip. Maybe others will have a better product.

Thank you Ken, I appreciate the welcome.

I'm a novice in the truest meaning of the word and hope to use this forum and it's members for your combined knowledge.

As far as the rubbing alcohol, is there a strength (%) you recommend?

You know Boldski if you like them and want them go ahead and get them. Enjoy them and maybe tinker with them to bring them up to better than new. It's part of your furniture. I had an old console, solid state. It wasn't worth much but it got a lot of use for enjoyment. That's my 2 cents. :thmbsp:

Alright! Glad the JVC found a good home. For the cleaning and maintenance of reel-to-reels, there is a lot of good information in the tape forum. From one of the tape stickies:

For cleaning the heads, guides, metal rolling tensioners, lifter arms and capstan you will need to get Isopropyl Alcohol in a 95% purity or higher. This will be applied with Qtips or any decent, lint free cotton swab by wetting the swab with the alcohol and rubbing off the oxide build up on the affected parts.

The frequency of doing this procedure depends on the machine and the type and condition of the tape you are using at the time. Generally for cassette decks, every 10 - 30 hrs of actual play/recording time and after every major recording session to be safe. For open reel machines, every 6 to 10 hrs and even more depending what tape you are using, older tape can shed and create a big mess on both heads + travelpath.

Keeping the tape path clean and free of tape oxide build up will ensure that your deck keeps running at peak efficiency and at it best frequency response.

Isopropyl alcohol can be found at any drugstore or pharmacy and at most hardware stores too.

For cleaning any and all rubber parts in the tape path such as pinch rollers and idler-wheels
Parts Express sell both headcleaner and rubber cleaner.
Don't use head-cleaner or Isopropyl alcohol on any rubber-parts.
Some reel to reel models and cassette decks has a softer rubber and you will ruin your new deck with a gummy sticky mess, be careful.

Enjoy!

@Satcom...completely agree. Great advice.

@dragonhead...this my first piece, I'm very excited about my JVC.

@Mingo...looks like I have some extensive reading to do.

Really glad forums like these exist

Back
Top Bottom