Technics SL-QD33 Auto Start/Return Issues

mmann68

Anybody have any thoughts on the following problem I'm having? I have a Technics SL-QD33 TT. It does not want to auto start or auto return under any circumstances. Basically working as a manual at this point. If I pick up the tone arm and move it toward the record, the platter will spin. Records will play fine, but when you get to the end of a record, no auto return. Oh, and cueing function does not work either.

Here's what I've done/found so far. There are a couple of tabs that stick up through the platter mat to sense the size of the record you have on the platter. The outer tab (to sense the 12" size) is not sticking through the mat. There is an old thread over on Vinyl Engine where a guy seemed to be having the exact same problem I am having on the same unit. I followed some of the suggestions over there, which were mainly to take the platter off and see if I could get the 12" sensor tab to stick through the platter. There was also some talk of various other tabs that are possibly tripped when the record size tabs are properly engaged to start the auto functions. I could not get the 12" sensor to stick through the platter on its own. There was no final solution on that old thread, and some suggestion that the sensor tabs were not the issue, that it was likely an electrical issue.

So, anybody have any thoughts? Thanks ahead of time...

So, it was working automatically properly, and then it stopped? The cueing button does nothing, doesn't light up when pressed, doesn't activate the tonearm lift?

Have you downloaded the manual from Vinyl Engine? I'm far from an expert, but I have one and I can try to help you out.

I do have the manual, and have tried a couple of things.

I was given this turntable a while back. Since I've had it, it has been the way I describe. If I press the cueing button, the cueing light will come on, but the tonearm will not lift. If I press the start/stop button, the turntable will either do nothing or the light on the start/stop area will start to blink.

I can activate the table when it is on by lifting the tonearm and moving it onto the record. Table will start to spin at proper speed when I move the tonearm. When it gets to the end of the record, it will not auto stop. I have to manually lift the arm and place it back into the holder. When I do that, table will stop itself.

And, as I said, this has been how it has operated since I've had it, which is a little over a year. Thanks for any help you may be able to provide. Honestly, it's not the end of the world if I have to continue to operate it the way I have been. It's a good, solid turntable that sounds good. Naturally, though, it would be optimal to have the auto functions working properly.

Yeah, I have no knowledge at all on the inner workings, sorry. I was going to suggest getting the manual and checking the tonearm lift settings, but if it's stuff inside, John is probably going to be much more helpful than I will be. I don't think I've ever even had mine open. Good luck getting it going.

Thanks for the responses, guys, and I'll look for any other info people are willing to throw out there. The good news is that mine is working on the same level as Leon's. Works just fine as a manual table. And I completely agree with the consensus here that this is a great sounding, under the radar, super value table. Not the worst thing in the world if it keeps working as a manual. I've been focused on the record size sensors on the platter. But I'll refocus my efforts on the tonearm lift settings. Thanks, again.

I think that the record size sensors may be one of those easily broken bits, because the outer one on mine doesn't raise above the platter, either. Not that I play them very often at all, but I have to manually cue 7" singles, because of that.

Funny you should post this; my SL-33QD just started doing exactly the same thing several weeks ago.

I press the cueing button, light comes on, arm doesn't lift. I press start, light comes on, arm doesn't lift or move. It plays if I set the arm down manually and auto return doesn't work.

Sounds like we have exactly the same issue. I don't know when I will have time to dig into it further. I'm hoping for a relatively easy fix.

I'll post up if/when I learn the solution. This has been a great deck so far in my secondary living room system, so I hope I can revive it.

Both of my turntables broke within a few weeks of each other. :sigh:

Funny you should post this; my SL-33QD just started doing exactly the same thing several weeks ago.

I press the cueing button, light comes on, arm doesn't lift. I press start, light comes on, arm doesn't lift or move. It plays if I set the arm down manually and auto return doesn't work.

Sounds like we have exactly the same issue. I don't know when I will have time to dig into it further. I'm hoping for a relatively easy fix.

I'll post up if/when I learn the solution. This has been a great deck so far in my secondary living room system, so I hope I can revive it.

Both of my turntables broke within a few weeks of each other. :sigh:

Man, that stinks that you had two tables break down that close to each other. :thumbsdn:

So, I fooled with mine a bit, took the platter off and tried to see what I could do with the record size lever sensors, and I just couldn't get them both to stick through the platter. After doing some reading, I'm not convinced that is the real problem. On the other hand, nothing I tried worked. You're right, this is a good table and I've been using it so much as a manual that the needle has worn down. Right about the time that happened, though, I had just picked up a BIC changer (my wife wanted a changer), and it's a surprisingly fabulous table itself. Long story short, my attention has veered away from the Technics. Also have a couple of other tables laying around, so I'm thinking the Technics might be on the side burner for a bit. But I, too, will post anything I figure out on it. Good luck with yours, Shim. :scratch2:

I have the same table (bought new by me) with the exact same problems as the original post. I eventually found a good one at a thrift store, identical to the old one. My girlfriend also has this same table, properly working.

So the problem is a bad circuit board? It is not clear from the links.

Apparently it is a common problem.

I may have kept using the broken one if the cuing lever had continued to work.

Same problem here too with mine. It started acting up a couple of years ago. I took it apart and did some adjustments and got it to play 'manually'. Bought the thing new back in 1991 from Circuit City.

Same problem here too with mine. It started acting up a couple of years ago. I took it apart and did some adjustments and got it to play 'manually'. Bought the thing new back in 1991 from Circuit City.

Welcome to AK. I like the full auto feature on this tt, and it does play well for a P mount.

Thanks,
John.:music::D

Hello to everyone!
I had the same problem with this deck, turned out that the power supply 2200uf cap was almost dead. After replacing it problem was solved, I'd reccomend to check also 47uf caps, those were showing half of capacitance.
Hope this will help.

Back
Top Bottom