Technics SL1700 platter won't spin

Vox T

When I initially raise the tonearm towards the record i hear the microswitch click and the platter starts to spin, however when I reach the record I hear the microswitch click again and the motor turns off. Any ideas on how to resolve this? Unsure of even how to open this unit, removing the bottom plate just reveals the plastic cam wheel.

Sounds like the mechanism needs adjusting.

To remove the base you need to unscrew the 4 screws inside the feet. From here you will need to turn the TT upside down- usually close the lid and CAREFULLY place on your bench with a towel underneath.
You will need to remove the platter and secure the tonearm before you begin. You can remove the tonearm also, which allow better dismantling but be careful!

Cheers

Taking the backplate off only reveals another cover.
qsRsu4l.jpg

Found the culprit, there was no need to remove the second back plate. Went in through the front and found a sticking plastic lever shown in the picture. Degreased it and and relub and all is good.
BnSL8Jk.jpg

I have an SL 1700 which luckily works fine so far. Is there a trick to removing the platter? When I first got the table I gave a little lift and it didn't release. Since it wasn't broke I didn't diddle with it. Left to my own devices I would likely try slight upward pressure on the platter and a short light tap on the spindle with a hammer. Is this correct or am I a bad person?

Last edited:
A downwards tap with a rubber mallet to the top of the spindle should release it. PLEASE make sure it is a rubber mallet not a hammer! :)

Back
Top Bottom