Technics SU 8080, a thing of beauty.

Cogsinister

While the 8080 is out of rotation i thought i would give her a bit of a service, and on popping off the top i was struck by just how lovely she is nude.

6854067842_62e1f84b24_b.jpg

One of my favorite amps.

Man I loved mine while I had it. I like how technics put logos everywhere on the inside. Keep those two switches clean!

Compare the insides of the Technics with this Pioneer SA 8500 II that i stumbled upon sat in the snow outside my local thrift, i gave them the $10 they wanted for it and took it home, its pretty much perfect even after its night out in the snow.

6721604433_82364d9628_b.jpg

Another dual mono design 60wpc from 1977-78.

When you get around to the recap, she ain't so pretty.:lmao:

6660810285_3bf0bc2c41_z.jpg

I think a recap would make it sound even better, but alas its not on the radar here for the foreseeable future, as luck would have it, there are no real nasty caps that i can see.

I have had the front panel off to get deoxit into the switches, and i think i will have to do them again as a couple are a bit crunchy again.

I think the styling of this integrated is 40 years ahead of its time. I love the brownish face with fat, black rotary knobs and the subtle pewter “text” color.
I’m using it as a preamp to drive my Decware SE84 clone. It gives the Zen a bit of a SS signature, but it’s a small trade off for the smooth, warm fullness it brings to my flea-watt SE amp.

Mine needs a switch bath & a filter cap job.

I get HUGE bass from my 2.5 watt Zen driven by the 8080 on 3Pi’s.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom