TECHRON 7550/ CROWN PSA-2

dakmensa

Hello all,

I have a relatively unusual amplifier. It's branded TECHRON on the front, but CROWN PSA-2 in the back. It has BNC inputs, but regular 5-way binding posts as outputs. The performance specs for the TECHRON 7550 are identical to the specs for the PSA-2 ( from what I can find online). Anyone have an idea as to value?
Thanks.

If you can get anything for the Techron name, you have a 400 buck amp in great shape, working. If you can't or get dinged for it somewhat less. It was about 2000 new in 1980 (SA-2). Interesting that the unit has BNC in place of the ¼" phone jacks. Easy enough to change or install those horrid RCAs (horrid for a Crown amp), making it more easily used by the masses for audio instead of a shaker table or whatever that amp was professionally used for that wasn't audio.

Techron, as I recall, is/was Crown`s export division`s name for their line of audio gear.

Back in the late seventies, while employed as a audio bench tech in Miami, FL., a Techron labeled power amp(a regular looking Crown DC 300 was brought in for service..
There wasn`t anything different that I recall about it, compared to a regular DC 300, though I can`t be sure of the input jacks type from memory.
I`m sure that various type input jacks could be specified when ordering one of their amps from, either the factory, or dealer for whatever type of service the amplifiers were intended for..
All my B-I-L, and my Crown amplifiers(PS2, DC300, D 150) 1/4" input jacks were changed out by me years ago using Switchcraft threaded panel mount RCA type.

BNC type male cable ends connectors are a pain in the ass to assemble, but are great locking high frequency(into the Gigahertz) rated connectors and will not become unplugged/disconnected in high vibration environments and are somewhat water proof.
If desired the BNC input jacks could be readily be swapped out with the RCA type.

Techron, as I recall, is/was Crown`s export division`s name for their line of audio gear.

Amcron was the export brand. Techron appears to be the industrial brand. Not much in the way of audio use in their specifications.

I would never change the ¼" phone plug on an amp to an RCA as I like the way the phone plug breaks signal (at the tip) before breaking ground (the sleeve) and this means a silent disconnect when one messes up and pulls the plug with the amp on. I learned that with my first Crown amp and have appreciated that feature since. But it is odd having other Crown gear with a mix of RCA and Phone plug connectors. Keeps me up on having the proper cable. I don't like adapters and don't use them for a long term install. But to each their own.

Last edited:
Amcron was the export brand. Techron appears to be the industrial brand. Not much in the way or audio use in their specifications.

I would never change the ¼" phone plug on an amp to an RCA as I like the way the phone plug breaks signal (at the tip) before breaking ground (the sleeve) and this means a silent disconnect when one messes up and pulls the plug with the amp on. I learned that with my first Crown amp and have appreciated that feature since. But it is odd having other Crown gear with a mix of RCA and Phone plug connectors. Keeps me up on having the proper cable. I don't like adapters and don't use them for a long term install. But to each their own.

There was not a concern with the RCA conversion in a home stereo setup, as the procedure of all equipment being unpowered until fully connected up and checked before engaged, as was instilled in me early on..

The 1/4" phone jacks on Crown amps could become crusty and signal problematic on amplifiers that were 30~40 years old in home stereo use here in salt air FL., but the ones I used in a PA applications for years remained phone jack type input for compatibility with non balanced signal connections.

Yep Blue Shadow, your most correct, the amp was a Amcron and not Techron that I worked on, thanks for jarring my 2 brain cells, and the really disturbing thing is I was a authorized Crown warranty service center in the early nineties..
Too many beers, and too many years, with some sticky green thrown in for good measure..

There was not a concern with the RCA conversion in a home stereo setup, as the procedure of all equipment being unpowered until fully connected up and checked before engaged, as was instilled in me early on..

... thanks for jarring my 2 brain cells, and the really disturbing thing is I was a authorized Crown warranty service center in the early nineties..
Too many beers, and too many years, with some sticky green thrown in for good measure..
One of the first to admit to so few left. Glad they both still work, somewhat.

I know to the rules about audio hook up with the units off but I have violated it. Cost me once but with the Crown no problems. Guys in our audio group bring whatever over here for all to have a listen...why...because they know I will have the cables to hook it up.

On topic, I use those BNC to RCA on the signal generator and scope to get RCAs to be my patch cords.

One of the first to admit to so few left. Glad they both still work, somewhat.

I know to the rules about audio hook up with the units off but I have violated it. Cost me once but with the Crown no problems. Guys in our audio group bring whatever over here for all to have a listen...why...because they know I will have the cables to hook it up.

On topic, I use those BNC to RCA on the signal generator and scope to get RCAs to be my patch cords.

Me too, though I have quite a few of both 50, & 75 ohm patch cords for higher freq. test equipment needs..

Back
Top Bottom