That Ikea turntable - finally. “ Obegränsad”

MisterDK

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
There’s been talk about a turntable from Ikea for quite a wile but I think it’s now officially announced.
Called “Obegränsad” and supposedly available next Fall. Pretty simple looking, hopefully inexpensive.

989D01FE-71F9-422B-A2FA-409ED74F0131.jpeg

I hope this makes it to market. Ikea is good at making things that cost less than they should. Surely it won't be a top of the line TT. But it will also surely be better than those suitcase models. I could see this bringing a lot of new people to the hobby.

My only complaint is the probable lack of a dust cover.

There will be more…
I'm sure there will be. But it will be in a brick and mortar store people still actually go to. And people will buy it that might not have been thinking about record players that much.These people might otherwise buy a crosley of something similar and quickly lose interest. But with the Ikea table and what looks like an audio technica cartridge, there is a real chance that a relatively large number of people will stick to the hobby.

I've had people ask me about getting into turntables, but they quickly lose interest when they realize they have to start thinking about all the different components and that even an entry level table like a fluance or u-turn plus the cost of the amp and speakers come out to more than they want to spend when they're not really sure if it would be a long-term interest.

I can imagine that if this turntable actually comes to market, all the stuff will be right there. Turntable, powered speakers, maybe some kind of Bluetooth dongle. No, It won't be a high end or even medium end audiophile system. But for people whose only other experience with music is streaming things from their phones to tiny speakers, it will sound amazing. And maybe even open people's minds to how good music can be.

These people might otherwise buy a crosley of something similar and quickly lose interest.
I've never found the proliferation of the hobby to be supportive of my personal interest. Actually, it only bit me in the rear in every possible aspect, so I don't dig that much on the missionary cult like side of it. However, I don't feel threatened by this new IKEA and I don't see much of a difference anyway. Many of those new Crosley's comes with the same 2 bit Chinese AT cart anyway. It looks like this one came off the exact same production line. ...and in my experience, it's those same people that start out with trash TT's like these, that don't stick to the hobby for long. Not that I complain much about it.

I've never found the proliferation of the hobby to be supportive of my personal interest. Actually, it only bit me in the rear in every possible aspect, so I don't dig that much on the missionary cult like side of it. However, I don't feel threatened by this new IKEA and I don't see much of a difference anyway. Many of those new Crosley's comes with the same 2 bit Chinese AT cart anyway. It looks like this one came off the exact same production line. ...and in my experience, it's those same people that start out with trash TT's like these, that don't stick to the hobby for long. Not that I complain much about it.

If that's the case and it's basically a repacked crosley suitcase-style turntable, then I take back what I've said above. But if it's more like the "higher-end" crosley tables (in a relative sense compared to the suitcase ones--I know they're not higher-end in absolute terms), then I think that's a good thing. Replaceable cartridge with adjustable counterweight. Hopefully a motor that isn't horrible. Etc. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

More people getting into the hobby means more manufacturers making things like cartridges and turntables. The downside is that records will continue to get more and more expensive unless production can be increased to keep up with demand.

I think that many people don’t see that listening to records will become a hobby. They may be just starting out and may have some old records from parents or grandparents to explore. They may also be Ikea shoppers who like cheap furniture - and see this table as being affordable. If they do like spinning records and accumulate more - as we did - then it may become a hobby and better equipment will likely be purchased when it can.

I've never found the proliferation of the hobby to be supportive of my personal interest. Actually, it only bit me in the rear in every possible aspect, so I don't dig that much on the missionary cult like side of it.

I agree, the increased interest in all things vinyl so far has led to the ever increasing prices. However, there is an upside: a large number of new releases on vinyl, both new music (if you're into that sort of thing) and old recordings. Just the other day I was in Tower Records and noticed that there was a large number of classical records under the Deutsche Grammophon label, including such gems as Richter performing Rachmaninov's 2nd piano concerto, and the prices were quite reasonable too. If I didn't have that performance on the original DG vinyl from 1959, I would grab it in a heartbeat.

Richter performing Rachmaninov's 2nd piano concerto, and the prices were quite reasonable too.
I feel ya! He moves me too, but to be honest classical music on vinyl had never commanded the high dollars. I think most of us geezers have tons of classic music on vinyl of which we've actually purchased just a very small percentage. I don't even remember how I ended up owning so much of it. Since the break of the millennium I had personally purchased just about 5 new pieces. Coincidentally (or not), all Deutsche Grammophon too, but I bet your 1959 copy sounds better. :)

A few years ago, Ikea came out with a nice pedal bike.
That offering did not last.
Things come and go. Most are pulled due to safety issues. No more pretty glass tables with metal legs.
And who ever heard of dressers that must be bolted to the wall, before Ikea?
I do like some of their cheap cuisine, but even that has lost its magic of late.
In Europe, the meatballs are real moose or elk or reindeer or such.
Here, they are beef and pork.

I hope that is decent quality so that more people get interested in listening to records.
Also hoping for quality that doesn't ruin expensive new records.

I hope that is decent quality so that more people get interested in listening to records.
Also hoping for quality that doesn't ruin expensive new records.
Don’t see how it’ll ruin records as long as the tonearm isn’t complete garbage. The cartridge, though likely AT’s bottom end, is probably fine - if tracking weight can be properly set.

Any company with the weight of Ikea coming out with a turntable "if done right", says a lot about how far the vinyl resurgence has come. Hopefully it's not a P.O.S. that will turn people away from further getting into better sounding audio.

Guys, that low end AT cart punches way above its weight. It is an especially good match on a golden age changer such as the Dual 1019, Miracord 10H, Garrard Type A, and from personal experience on a Garrard Lab 80. It has a nice punchy sound with good bass and slightly rolled highs, a sound signature I personally appreciate.

Guys, that low end AT cart punches way above its weight. It is an especially good match on a golden age changer such as the Dual 1019, Miracord 10H, Garrard Type A, and from personal experience on a Garrard Lab 80. It has a nice punchy sound with good bass and slightly rolled highs, a sound signature I personally appreciate.

I like AT’s quite a bit but do think that some models lack mids and bottom end compared to others.. I should try one of those cheap AT’s - just to have tried one.

Back
Top Bottom