The best CD Player to buy used.

Henrydozer

I am going to need to upgrade my old NEC CD Player one of these days. I really would like the Luxman d-109 but they seem hard to find. I have heard a lot of good things about the Rotel CD Players and some of the Marantz models. Any recomendations from anyone out there? Just looking for the best single CD Player for a reasonable price. Thanks for any information.

Just looking for opinions of peoples choices and what they think sounds the best to them, I have not seen much on this topic.

It's hard to go wrong with just about anything. Check the threads, this is a common question.

Correct. I remember reading someone did a comparison test using several "high-end" CD players and a few low end models. Nobody listening could tell much difference. I'm using this $40 Sony DVP-SR500H which can be used with HDMI for DVD playback. Plays my CD's great thru my vintage Luxman R-3045.
Scroll about half the way down and read "Audible differences compared to PCM/CD"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Audio_CD

Last edited:
Just looking for opinions of peoples choices and what they think sounds the best to them, I have not seen much on this topic.

Trust me, there's a lot. If you want opinions, I don't hear any difference in any brand. Others say they do, and have favorites. If you want a list, 10 people will give you 12 opinions. I don't what purpose it would serve, but if that's what you want, prepare yourself. The last guy (last week) threw in the towel after 10 pages of responses and said he never thought it would turn into a religious war. But that's what this question always does. So if that's what you want, go for it.

I use a Pioneer PD-M603 (6 disc, owned since new in 97')upstairs and a NAD Blu-Ray T-557 downstairs and enjoy both very much.

Buy a decent DAC instead, then you can use most any cd player that has a digital out. A good DAC can also be used for computer based audio and any other digital source you may have like a cable box or iPod.

Sony and Magnavox

I have both Sony and Magnavox CD players.

Generally, the Sony X707ES is the absolute best sounding CD player, but the Magnavox CDB-610/650 sound pretty good and have no longevity issues.

The Sony requires more attention and maintenance, but in my opinion, it's well worth it for the phenomenal sound quality.

Cheers . . .

For me, my best sounding CD player is actually a DVD player. I like my Faroudja DV-1000. It has separate lasers for DVD and CD and sounds very good. It also has a very good picture, though only in 480p. Unless you are using a very large tv, I doubt that you would notice. And the player is built like a tank.

But for music, the player sounds great and can be had for a few hundred. It cost many thousands when it was new. I liked it so much, I bought two of them!

IMO If you want much better sound you'll have to go way up the range, and most of the deals on high end used CDP's won't even make it to CL or E-bay. I've read some good reviews on New Pioneer Elite SACD/CDP's but their $700 (pd-6) and $1,500 (Pd-9). It's said their imaging/Soundstage is first rate for the price, I believe that is one important difference between the better players. Both of my Denon's have very good sound, it's the soundstage that improves when I switch to the rather expensive DAC module in my amp. I also looked at offering's from Cambridge, and a Tubed unit, but based some research I've done, the Pioneer's have the sound I want.

Last edited:
I don't hear the night and day differences between players that some folks claim to. I use a Magnavox cdb-650 and a cdb-502. I think they sound great, but the biggest reason is that the CDM-2 and CDM-4 equipped units are the best tracking I have found by far. They will play disc that most other machines won't even come close to.

Buy a decent DAC instead, then you can use most any cd player that has a digital out. A good DAC can also be used for computer based audio and any other digital source you may have like a cable box or iPod.

+1. Spend your budget and then some on a DAC. CD players are over. Kaput.

Edit: In all seriousness, I continue to have no complaint with my Nakamichi CDP-2, Adcom GCD-575 and Music Hall CD-25, all bought used. There have been some nice players on Barter Town, lately, including a Creek and an Arcam.

Last edited:
My first CD player was a JVC portable. None I have had since sound as warm and clear as that unit did. It was from the early days of CD's

I just spent the last week testing a bunch of dvd and cd players and it's really difficult for me to tell a difference between them
Find a nice universal DVD deck that does SACDs and you'll be set.

I ripped my CD's to my computer, and now I hardly ever get one out to play. With that said, I have a Panasonic Bluray player, a mid 90's Yamaha CD player, a older Toshiba DVD player and a Samsung DVD/SACD player. They basically sound the same to me. I can't really recommend a particular unit.

Back
Top Bottom