The Radio Shack SA-155 Mini Amp

johnda

Addicted Member
In today's world of new miniature amplifiers there is one vintage amplifier that has been a favorite of a lot of folks. Putting out only 1.8 watts/channel it was available for people without much money to get a start in high fidelity. It started out as the SA-150 with a silver front and then became the SA-155 with a black front. It was under a few names over its lifetime, Radio Shack, Optimus, RCA, but was always the same unit underneath. What was really cool about this little gem was the fact that it included a phono input for ceramic and MM cartridges, a tuner line input and a CD/aux line input. The amplifier even had a tape out line.

The weak point was that the speaker outputs were RCA phono jacks that were used to connect the amp to Radio Shack speakers that also used phono jacks.

I decided to purchase one for myself to use as a computer sound system amplifier, because its small size allowed me to use a drawer in my computer desk. I got mine through EBay for $35 with free shipping and when I received it, was very happy to see that it was in very clean shape and there was no corrosion to be found anywhere. I purchased a set of RCA connectors and wired them to 18 gauge speaker wire and then connected a set of Optimus ProX7 speakers. Although the amp is very low powered, the audio was quite loud enough to be used at my desk.

What is really interesting about this amplifier is that you can use it with a better amp and let it be the preamp because of the line out connection. I can imagine using this little gem with a nice tube amplifier to power a good sounding system.

Added Note: It also has a mini jack on the front panel that allows you to connect an MP3 player, such as an iPod, to play sound files. That is quite a bit of flexibility for such a small box and this amp is an example of the time when the good thinkers worked for Radio Shack!

Last edited:
I have the silver version at home, with the matching tuner and Minimus-7 speakers.
It's a nice set that gets good use in one of my kid's bedroom.

The amplifier is actually an integrated circuit you typically find in car radios.

Rs sa 155

I found the last new in a box SA 155, a few years ago, for $19.95! I found the matching tuner on ebay for about $20. The amp was great, the tuner, not so much.

I was running it with Minimus 7's, rebadged as RCA something or others. Great computer set up for around $70

I had the silver faced tuner for many years in my main system. Replaced it when I got serious about FM. However, I would think a modern T amp would perform better, is the same size, and can be had for around the same price.

T amp could sound better, but the multiple inputs on the sa155 make it great for a small system. Using it as a preamp joined to a t amp could result in a very nice surprise!

I've got the Optimus branded one of these...at least I did till I started stealing parts out of it.

Wasn't very impressed with it's sound....seemed kind of dead and sterile. Someone has put this in a jukebox as it's main amplifier (!!!). Was able to walk off with it after repairing the factory amp. I used it as a RIAA stage for a brief period of time....but it largely just a parts unit.

I have the SA 150 intergated. I don't use it anymore since I got my Nikko 6065 for the bedroom. The biggest drawback of this amp was that the speaker jacks were RCA type.I do know how to make cables of my own and RS did sell sets of speaker wire w/ RCA ends but it's a very liminting way of hooking up speakers to the amp. Cute little thing though.

Got one last nite. $20. Was just looking for something in my electronics shop for background music and testing speakers. (And I’ve used the rat-shack phono pre’s and liked them)

Despite things said here, i did not have high expectations. But i was quite pleasantly surprised! I can see why one of the posters here mentioned it was his primary system for a while. Defintely you can upgrade and it does have its limitations, but if you just want background music that will never offend and please most of the time, this would be a very good way to go.

Back
Top Bottom