Thiel tweeter = Vifa D25TG-85 ?

stonedeaf

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Recently acquired a pair of Thiel CS-1 speakers. Charitably these could be described as cosmetically challenged . Sound great and use the Vifa D25TG-85 6 ohm tweeters. Anybody know if these are the original tweeters ?

Depending on taste, the way people view a design, for some, they are cosmetically challenged. For me though, they are quite nice.

To answer your question, It's most likely is, most of their drivers are custom-made for Thiel by VIFA.
Sometime, you can even see a Thiel name badge on the rear face plate.

mine led a rough life

I purchased these from a Thiel dealer by saying " So what's the best sounding rough lookin speaker ya got ?" . Like these enough to be vagely lookin for either another set of 1's in better shape in terms of cabinets or maybe a set of 2's. Never really been a fan of metal dome tweeters - these Vifa soft domes are something I used alot for repairs and was always pleased with. Just curious if they are original to the Thiel CS-1 ? Will send Thiel a e-mail and see what they have to say ?

Last edited:
i think they are the original. can you post a pic? also i would change nothing on them. the thiel sound is dependent on the mfg. design.

no changes

I have insuffecient ego/confidence to want to mess around with one of Thiel's designs. Just curious if anyone else did in the past ( the joys of purchasing used -:) Pic thing I've never figured out.

Thiel CS 2

While we're on the subject of messing with Thiels, I just got a pair of CS 2s from a guy. They sound great. Not especially forward, just clear in a relaxed kind of way. My question is: since these are likely 30 yrs old, should I be thinking of replacing the caps? Would that sharpen them up? What should I replace them with. New member. Hello all!

Back
Top Bottom