Today's classical playlist

WOW!! An old analog recording of the NY Phil/Bernstein with Ravel's Rhapsodie Espanol on KPR. So clear and rich this recording. Not my favorite piece, up until now.

billinkansas said:
Where in PA?

State College, aka Happy Valley, home of Penn State.

Starting this morning with Berwald - Tone Poems - Gavle Symphony/Sakari

John Williams - In Australia - interesting collection of contemporary classical music for guitar and orchestra, by Australian composers

The Artistry of Arthur Rubenstein

Played 3 albums from the Readers Digest 6 album box set. Rubenstein was a master of piano. This set contains Rachmaninoff's concerto no. 2 of which I think is the best. These recordings are RCA Living Stereo lps made for readers digest and the sonic quality is fantanstic.

Mussorgsky

Pictures at an Exhibition - great instrumentation and range from bells to booming. I'm listening to Bernstein and the NY Philharmonic.

Bruckner - Symphony no. 3

(1873 Original Version, ed. Nowak)

Royal Scottish National Orchestra Georg Tintner conducting.

Naxos 8.553454

Thanks for the lead Rich. I got Bruckner's Symphonies 3, 4, 5 and 7 on the Naxos label for cheap. They were only $6 a piece. Fantastic sound.

Decompressing after a day of travel with Bach, Brandenburg Concertos 1, 3, and 5 - Akademie fuer Alte Musick Berlin

Woke up - felt like some Mozart.

MOZART
Horn Quintet in E flat major (K.407)
Andrew Clark (horn) Ensemble Galant
EMI 572822-2

Ray

Stravinsky - Symphony in C, Symphony in 3 Movements
L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande/Dutoit

Nice thread.
I have these lined up for some after-dinner listening.

post-322194-1113829215_thumb.jpg

Beethoven 9, Furtwangler, Bayreuth Festival Orchestra and Choir

45152.JPG

Beethoven 5 & 7, Furtwangler, Vienna

4121_Svetlanov.jpg

Rimsky Korsakov Scheherazade, Scriabin Poem of Ecstasy, Svetlanov, London and USSR State

4474002.jpg

Beethoven 5 & 7, Carlos Kleiber, Vienna

Found a nice site talking about classical music:
http://www.classicalnotes.net/contents.html

:banana: This is a great thread! I have very little knowledge but great appreciation of classical music, but thanks to "the collective" I learning! Thanks :yes:

Villa-Lobos - String Quartets Volume 1 (Nos. 6, 1, 17) - Cuarteto Latinamericano

Looks like I'm the only one who both listens to classical music and gets on AK first thing every morning :)

This morning: Mussorgsky - Pictures at an Exhibition followed by Prokofiev - Classical Symphony - National Philharmonic/Slatkin

SHOSTAKOVICH
PianoTrio No. 1 (Op.8)
Vienna PianoTrio
Nimbus NI5572

Somewhat dissonant for first thing in the morning, but it sprung to hand!
Ray

Back
Top Bottom