Today's Irish/Scottish/English folk playlist

vinyl1

Do we need this? I don't know! Maybe somebody will reply, maybe not.

I will go back a couple of days to get the thing started.

Ashley Hutchings, Kicking up the Sawdust, UK Harvest SHSP 4073. Dance, dance, dance, some of it live with actual dancers.

Ashley Hutchings, Rattlebone & Plowjack, UK Island Help 24. Molly Dancing and Border Morris, with readings, just what eveyone here was waiting for, I'm sure.

Five Hand Reel, UK Rubber RUB 019. Disappointing, put back after one side.

Pyewackett, UK Dingle DIN 312. This is a fine folk LP that I have always enjoyed. Rather hard to find.

Pentangle, Cruel Sister, UK Transatlantic TRA 228. Now we are up to the great masters of UK folk, a group someone here might conceivably have heard of. The UK mastering is so much better than my US WLP I couldn't believe it. Jack Orion is really fantastic, there's a lot of instrumental interplay I can't hear on the US copy.

On the turntable right now, Richard Thompson, Henry the Human Fly. Not the Island original, but the Carthage from the 80s that is quite respectable. It has incredible bass, and some his best songwriting - he really had talent to burn as a young man. Not that he doesn't know, but it's a lot more mannered.

Hey, I can dig this.........

I just gotta dig up those two Bert Jansch LPs I scored last week.

Hmmm....this may take a while to catch on.

Today's spins, both from the North

The Clutha, Scots Ballads, Songs & Dance Tunes, UK Topic 12TS242. Very fine and tuneful, shaped a bit by literary and music hall influence. The popular singers of the 18th and 19th century were a competitive and inquisitive lot. Contains fine Shetland-style fiddling.

The High Level Ranters, Northumberland for Ever, UK Topic 12TS186. A much rawer folk album, with some rather risque material sung in an incomprehensible Geordie accent.

I listened to these two recordings today after seeing this thread yesterday.In my eyes,Not traditional folk,
But great music from Ireland-

A Real world recording and sound track to a film by
Iarla O` Lionaird-I could read the sky
Classic Waterboys-Fishermans blue's

Last edited:
I haven't played the Waterboys in years, so I had to pull out my copy of Fisherman's Blues.

It's not bad of its kind, although there are better. I thought I had a Pogues record I liked, but I can't seem to find it.

Back to the real thing! Earlier tonight, a real classic, the Pentangle's Basket of Light on UK Transatlantic TRA 205.

Now up, John Kirkpatrick and Sue Harris, 'Among the Many Attractions at the Show will Be a Really High-Class Band', on UK Topic. This pair were really folky hippies who played traditional songs of the 18th and 19th centuries. John is an Anglo-Concertina player, and Sue plays hamered dulcimer. They recorded five LPs on topic during the 70s, of which I have four.

They are an acquired taste; they may well prove too folky for some. There is not much competition for the LPs, except for the one I don't have.

Ashley Hutchings, Rattlebone & Plowjack, UK Island Help 24. Molly Dancing and Border Morris, with readings, just what eveyone here was waiting for, I'm sure.

Pentangle, Cruel Sister, UK Transatlantic TRA 228. Now we are up to the great masters of UK folk, a group someone here might conceivably have heard of. The UK mastering is so much better than my US WLP I couldn't believe it. Jack Orion is really fantastic, there's a lot of instrumental interplay I can't hear on the US copy.

On the turntable right now, Richard Thompson, Henry the Human Fly. Not the Island original, but the Carthage from the 80s that is quite respectable. It has incredible bass, and some his best songwriting - he really had talent to burn as a young man. Not that he doesn't know, but it's a lot more mannered.

Three of my favorites. I presume you have The Compleat Dancing Master as well?

Might I recommend this really wonderful recording to you...

p91400032iu5.jpg

GHOSTS
English Acoustic Collective

R.U.F

October 27-28, 2007 Richmond, VA

http://www.richmondceltic.com/site.asp

13th Richmond Highland Games and Celtic Festival -
Live music, good food, and large men tossing heavy things (!).

Why listen to records and CDs when you can hear real pipers in person!

On a personal aside -
currently playing Shooglenifty - Venus in Tweed

pmsummer - The Compleat Dancing Master is Hutching's masterpiece, along with Morris On. I even like the readings, and the sound is great on the Carthage reissue. He does tend to feature the bass in the mix, but that is OK on a dance record.

Andyman - The Old Kit Bag is the only recent Thompson LP I have a hard time getting into. Many other fans really like it, but I'd rather play Mock Tudor and Front Parlor Ballads.

Up tonight, a real classic, Shirley and Dolly Collins 'Adieu to Old England' on Topic. This is Shirley's last recorded performance before she retired, with her sister Dolly on flute organ. It also features the great classical musician Phil Pickett on shawm, curtal, recorder and cornett, as well as several other well-known players. All traditional material, except for one tune by, er, Richard Thompson.

It also features the great classical musician Phil Pickett on shawm, curtal, recorder and cornett...

...who was also a member of The Albion Country Band (and, along with that RT feller, put out that wonderful The Bones of All Men recording).

Come over anytime for a pint! :thmbsp:

I haven't been on here in over two months.....pinched nerve in my neck and then a painful spell with two herniated disks in my lower back. Even getting downstairs to play some music and get on the computer has been a chore , but things are getting better.
What better way to celebrate then to open a copy of Liege & Lief by Fairport Convention on U.K Island which was my second copy and never played before. It has been on the shelf since 1970 and now is a good time to break it out.

Yes it is. Last night was the first time it was ever played. The cover has been in plastic baggy type thing since new. My other copy is a pink Island also , nice condition and well cared for but played " a million times"
I was a "import" collector back in the day.

Soon to play....Tim Hart/Maddy Prior -Summer Solstice

I wondered where you were, Cantabury Guy, and am sorry to read about your painful health issues. Liege & Lief is one of my all-time favorites, but don't you need to save the Hart/Prior till next June and find some for the equinox this weekend?

Seriously, glad you are able to enjoy some music again and I hope it helps you heal.

I wondered where you were, Cantabury Guy, and am sorry to read about your painful health issues. Liege & Lief is one of my all-time favorites, but don't you need to save the Hart/Prior till next June and find some for the equinox this weekend?

Seriously, glad you are able to enjoy some music again and I hope it helps you heal.

Thanks and I'm doing quite well right now. I did realize I was mixing my seasons and should have covered all my bases with the next selection

Steve Ashley-Stroll On

Back
Top Bottom