Today's JAZZ playlist

Hey Monty, good to see you. Did you catch my earlier post? My trusted repair shop is closing after over 40 years in business. They are running 12 weeks behind on repairs. I have a Dual Turntable (Idler) and a TEAC reel machine there. Neither will be done until July.

But I trust these guys. They are behind because they know what they are doing, and have hundreds of vintage rigs to repair stacked up on their shelves.

That's too bad. I hope your trust in them still pans out though. I've known of shops that close without repairs being done or even returned to the owners, due to creditors or bailiffs closing the doors etc.

I've been away in Cuba with very sporadic internet access. Great trip, but it's good to be home. :)

I am a big Wes fan and was a little skeptical as I was used to Lee's 70s & 80s fusion work a la Captains Fingers Etc. I was pleasantly surprised by this album. Lots of respect shows through in Lee's playing on this release. I really enjoyed it. Hope you do too.
Rit is very versatile. I saw him at the Hollywood Bowl and I was floored when he went absolutely scorched earth on Lone Me A Dime to close his set before BB came on.

image.jpg

That's too bad. I hope your trust in them still pans out though. I've known of shops that close without repairs being done or even returned to the owners, due to creditors or bailiffs closing the doors etc.

I've been away in Cuba with very sporadic internet access. Great trip, but it's good to be home. :)

I trust them, Monty. They are friends as well as business guys, and they are not "closing" the shop per se, but new owners are taking over in four months, and they are "unknown" and "young" (so the current owners tell me). No offense, but I like my vintage equipment repair technicians to look like seasoned airline pilots. I like to see a little gray in their HAIR! :) Experience is a plus.

One of the current owners is a master at re-foaming. I'm really going to miss that. He re-foams any speaker for a flat fee of $40 and it's done RIGHT every time. I have my Optimus 10 speakers there now for refoaming the 8" drivers and 10" Drones (passive radiators). Trying to get everything done before these guys close shop and the new guys take over.

Last edited:
You also might want to be around when they close out their shop....might be some hidden gems that they'd "forgotten" about in the back room. Stuff that was unclaimed or just lost to time.

Even though the shop will re-open under new management soon after it closes from these guys, you may be right King. They have a ton of stuff for sale that no one has picked up over the years. I have my eye on a Marantz 2270 that they currently have priced at $450 and that (as you may know) is a bargain.

That's jacked up. Unfortunately there are no "new guys" coming on the scene. It would have been an idea to "apprentice" some HS teens to learn about equipment and repair. I guess those days a gone. Oh shit, now I sound like a geezer.

These guys opened their doors in 1977. You know they are experts at what they do. My TEAC is a complicated servo controlled pushbutton reel to reel. I would not trust it to anyone else. Now, it's probably going to cost me 4 bills to have it fixed right, but that's the key. It will be FIXED RIGHT. They estimated only $250 for the DUAL turntable and that is fair because it's a mess. The motor is seized and the mechanicals are toast.

Even though the shop will re-open under new management soon after it closes from these guys, you may be right King. They have a ton of stuff for sale that no one has picked up over the years. I have my eye on a Marantz 2270 that they currently have priced at $450 and that (as you may know) is a bargain.

I couldn't get the money out of my pocket fast enough if I saw that.....however, i'd like to know if they cleaned it up.

These guys opened their doors in 1977. You know they are experts at what they do. My TEAC is a complicated servo controlled pushbutton reel to reel. I would not trust it to anyone else. Now, it's probably going to cost me 4 bills to have it fixed right, but that's the key. It will be FIXED RIGHT. They estimated only $250 for the DUAL turntable and that is fair because it's a mess. The motor is seized and the mechanicals are toast.

Owning a Dual, I understand the need to make it right.

I was gonna respond to King's post and mention your Marantz hard-on.:rflmao:

Is that thing all serviced up? If you need someone to give you a push, Gordie's elbow is always there for ya.

Seriously though, who knows what's there. Even parts-wise you might find stuff like Dual cart sleds, golden age carts, headshells, etc.
The seller might be more than happy to sell a bunch of stuff like that for cash. A goodfella like you knows how that works when a business is being sold.

I was gonna respond to King's post and mention your Marantz hard-on.:rflmao:

Is that thing all serviced up? If you need someone to give you a push, Gordie's elbow is always there for ya.

Seriously though, who knows what's there. Even parts-wise you might find stuff like Dual cart sleds, golden age carts, headshells, etc.
The seller might be more than happy to sell a bunch of stuff like that for cash. A goodfella like you knows how that works when a business is being sold.

I do I do indeed. I should bring them in lunch and say, "Here is a free lunch, and while you eat it, let me scrounge around, OK" :)

How do I describe this shop? Organized chaos? Vintage systems EVERYWHERE. Speakers EVERYWHERE. Stuff you would not expect to see like Zenith cabinette speaker systems (huge cabinet speakers) from the late 60s each with two 15" woofers. And even some AM/LW console floor radios in vintage wood cabinets from the 40s. And that's just the front showroom. The repair shop (that is 70 percent of the real estate) is like a photo of a shop in the 70s. Parts everywhere. Shelves and shelves of vintage gear waiting to be serviced. Parts bins that seem to go on for miles. A test bench that would give any electronics geek a woody. And of course shelves of repair manuals.

That Marantz is truly a bargain. It does not have a wooden case, but is in the simulated wood metal case like my old Fisher rig. In hindsight, I should have passed on getting the TEAC reel repaired for 4 bills and bought that Marantz. But when I think about all the receivers and amps I have, I really do NOT need another. And that TEAC is the ONLY high end reel machine I own.... so I did the right thing.

I do I do indeed. I should bring them in lunch and say, "Here is a free lunch, and while you eat it, let me scrounge around, OK" :)

How do I describe this shop? Organized chaos? Vintage systems EVERYWHERE. Speakers EVERYWHERE. Stuff you would not expect to see like Zenith cabinette speaker systems (huge cabinet speakers) from the late 60s each with two 15" woofers. And even some AM/LW console floor radios in vintage wood cabinets from the 40s. And that's just the front showroom. The repair shop (that is 70 percent of the real estate) is like a photo of a shop in the 70s. Parts everywhere. Shelves and shelves of vintage gear waiting to be serviced. Parts bins that seem to go on for miles. A test bench that would give any electronics geek a woody. And of course shelves of repair manuals.

That Marantz is truly a bargain. It does not have a wooden case, but is in the simulated wood metal case like my old Fisher rig. In hindsight, I should have passed on getting the TEAC reel repaired for 4 bills and bought that Marantz. But when I think about all the receivers and amps I have, I really do NOT need another. And that TEAC is the ONLY high end reel machine I own.... so I did the right thing.
I think you did the right thing. I'm not a RtR guy, but if I was I'd want a solid machine.

Back
Top Bottom