Took A Few Pics Of The F150 I Bought Yesterday

Did the 240 use the same block, as it had a much shorter stroke crank? I can't see them using 2 different blocks.
yes, there are 'small block' I6s and 'big block' I6 from ford back in the day.

170, 200 and 250 inchers were the small. the 240 and the 300 were the big.

to make that 6 in a row get up and go, a tactic was to take the smaller CC 240 head and put on the 300 to raise compression ratio.

there actually are perf parts for them - cams, intakes, headers, carb...

Thanks! I knew there was 2 different engine " family's" for those 6 cylinders. So a 240 crank in the 300 block or 240 engine could rev higher, but the head would likely be the main limitation.

Good trucks, I never saw a problem with a fleet of 20 that did 50K miles a year.

I'd lose the chrome fender trim and plastic bed liner, both cause rust problems.

Great looking truck. They are comfy quiet vehicles. Rode and drove from Denver to Peoria IL. in my brothers and they make nice distance drivers. Enjoy it.

What year is it?My buddy just got a recall letter for his 2013 f150 4x4 5 litre..Possibility tranny could shift during hyway speeds to low.Its a software update that applies to the 6 speed trannys.When my buddy bought his in 2016 he paid 26 cnd but it had only 16000 miles on it.Trucks demand premium prices up in Canada and actually northern states also as dealers buy them up here and sell in U.S.A.

Last edited:
Nice truck you have there.

Ford has been making solid performing six's a long time.

I would put money on the big diesels, although the Raptor F150 would be tough also.

One of the contractors that I associate with just recently bought a brand new Raptor--it was a ridiculousl amount of money. Looks cool as hell with that suspension and wheels and grafix, but has the towing and hauling capacities of an early '70's GM station wagon. It is for off-roading--not towing or hauling. Kind of like the "Lightning" go-fast 2wd performance trucks that preceded it.

Welcome to the club.I also bought mine because it had the V-8.

Attachments

• IMG_5777.jpg
    IMG_5777.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 15
but has the towing and hauling capacities of an early '70's GM station wagon

I wouldn't have expected it to be quite that capable. Those early 70s wagons with the big block were serious tow machines.

Single best thing about the first generation Lightning, the intake manifold is the perfect item to put an EFI 351 in an 80s Crown Vic, and the EGR spacer is the magic item to put a 65mm throttle body on an Explorer intake in my Towncar without having to fabricobble a throttle cable bracket. Helping a friend with a 351w swap in his 86 Vic, and my Towncar has the Lightning spacer. Its also not a bad truck overall, but its just a 2wd F150 with some lipstick really.

How do you feel about the truck after you had it for a while?

Overall I am happy with the truck, but being a used vehichle with 129K on it, well its not perfect. I have two things to take care of, one not such a big deal the other could be a bit difficult to deal with.

This truck originally came with only the back up proximity sensors, or so I thought. But I noticed when I put it into reverse the 4.3 inch Synch display read no back up camera available. After some poking around I found what looks to be the harness to the back up camera under the bed frame. Someone looks to have changed the Ford emblem on the back to the non camera one, and did not put the camera back. Perhaps they damaged the tail gate, perhaps there is a small fender bender that damaged the tailgate and camera. Car Fax does not show this, and this is a Canadian truck, so its possible the record is not available. There is no sign of it being repainted, so I cannot say for sure what happened, other than it appears the back up camera has been removed.

So I have spent the money for a new Ford emblem/housing for the camera, which was $56 off Ebay, a new harness as I am not sure if the original is in the tailgate, and finally a new OEM back up camera. The harness was $38, and the camera was $248, which was the best price I could find. Once I have the pieces here I remove the cover from the tail gate and plug things in. I am hoping I get signal to the 4.3 inch screen in the dash and I can button it up and call it fixed

The second issue is going to be more extensive. This is a truck from Alberta Canada. It's hard to find a clean truck here of this age and mileage for under $19K, so at $15.5 I thought I had done well. I knew this was a Canadian truck, and when I crawled under it I saw a small amount of surface rust on the edges of the doors rocker panels, and a bit on the frame rails. Not bad, I have seen trucks from Montana with far worse, including my Toyota Tacoma. But when looking at the camera issue I found a bit of it starting on the edge of the tailgate down on the end where it hinges with the bed. Its fairly light, but it is there. What I need to do is find a way to treat it now rather than later, and see what can be done to minimize the effects.

I was considering purchasing some POR-15 or Permatex 81773 for this job. It will not be seen since its under the body, and on the inside edge of the tailgate. Am I wrong in considering this to be a reasonable solution to dealing with a small amount of light surface rust?

Mechanically the truck seems to be in A+ shape, with no mechanical issues. It's comfortable to ride in, it drives well, and is reasonably nimble. Registration says its scale weight is 5,333 pounds, and driving around town with a lot of stop and go I get about 14 to 15 mpg. On the highway its close to 20 mpg. So I cannot complain given its size and weight.

I think I did all right, but I do have these two issues to address.

Cheers
Mister Pig

I have used POR-15 and like it. Where the sun hits it should be painted over as the UV light will ruin it so I read. Maybe after an oily rust spray may help and even Krown rust proofing should be good as I read it works well. The only thing is it has to be done every year.

Tailgates seem to be prone to damage. Stopping rust as soon as possible is the best way to deal with it. Good luck with the repairs. Sounds like a solid truck otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom