topping d30 dead

invaderzim

My D30 died. It is about 4 months old and maybe it wasn't a good idea to leave it on continually in the summer weather as it was pretty warm to touch and the red "unlock" led was flickering for OPT or COAX input. Now the LED is off even when nothing is connected to the inputs.

The warranty booklet says it is covered for servicing but I have to send it back to them in China after first contacting the original seller.

I guess there is a lot to be said for buying products from companies that have an actual presence in this country.

Ironically I just got another one today to use in another room so that will replace the dead one and I'll connected it to the outlet that is on a timer so it will shut off every night.

Anyone have suggestions for DACs that sound similar to the D30 that can either handle being on 100% of the time or have a physical power switch so I can run it on a timer to let it cool down at night. I really like having the DAC hidden behind things, out of sight and out of mind.

Also one that even if it isn't built here would have warranty service here.

Sorry to hear about your Topping. Mine died after 7 months and I rarely forgot to turn it off when not in use. I paid $23 to send it back to Topping. The original vendor shipped my replacement the day I sent Topping the tracking number.
Not sure about dacs that would handle being left on 24/7 or those with a US presence.

Mark

I went through a couple of sites with similar price ranged DACs after posting and sent a few emails asking if leaving them on all the time would shorten the life. JDSlabs replied (after hours) within about 10 minutes saying "I do the same with my own, and have done so since it was released. We performed a thermal analysis during the prototyping stage. While EL DAC runs quite warm due to onboard linear regulation, it is designed to do so safely." That was the El Dac. The Ol Dac would match my 02 headphone amp that it would be stacked with so that's a plus ;) Or if I end up using it in the main room I have an outlet timer there that shuts things like the Roku and antenna amplifier off at night so I could plug it into that.

The topping had only been on 24/7 for about a week as I had just moved it to that system.

Mine has been on for close to a year. Just recently did I put it on a switched outlet off a Luxman Receiver.

It has never gotten above room temp. No heat at all.

Speaking of heat, the 30 some years old Luxman R-405 runs very hot, apparently they always did. Some equipment can handle that.

Eric

Excessive heat over time will cause most gear to fail. I'm so conscious of heat build up I use a HV fan to cool tubes and an Audio GD DAC that runs hot without it. The AGD went into thermal shut down once as did the APPJ and I dare not run either without a fan. Under $10 at Walmart the 4" fan is quiet as a church mouse.

P1010002.jpg

FWIW the Topping D30 has an on/off switch on the front. Most DAC's come in a sealed case which doesn't make sense as they can produce lots of heat.

My Schiit Modi MB runs too hot but the Audio GD with it's internal power supply takes heat to another level. If I didn't use a fan I'd drill venting holes in the GD's case.

When I first got the topping I didn't notice any heat at all when it was left on for days at a time. And that was with other things stacked on it.

It didn't get hot prior to the failure it got hot after whatever failed inside.

The switch isn't as handy with the entire dac sitting out of the way; which is why I like the small ones like this. And even though it was out of the way when connected to the main system nothing was stacked on it then and there was plenty of open space and airflow around it.

My dacmagic and NAD both never even got warm to the touch when left on for months and hifimediy and jdslabs both got back to me saying there would be no problem leaving theirs on 24/7. JDS said theirs had been on continually since it was first released.

My Maverick DAC runs 24/7 5 years or so, can't remember but it's been a while. Rarely turn it off. Not sure why you have to turn the Topping off.

You can just make out the D30 in the left corner. The top of the rack is black plastic lattice work which is needed for ventilation when using tube amps instead of that funky class D.

P1010001.jpg

I mailed the dead one back to Parts Express, they got it today and my replacement is on its way to me the same day. I'm really glad I bought it from them.

I also just got a solid state relay that I'm going to wire into a cheap outlet box and trigger with the power for the indicator light on my amp so I can have the DAC turn on and off with the amp. Right now I have it on a timer so it turns off in the middle of the night to allow some cool down but even after being on all day I don't get any heat at all out of it.

<snip> instead of that funky class D.

Looks like the famous Volt+D amp.

Last edited:
Turning it in and off does probably is doing more “damage” then leaving it on.

Do you think light bulbs last longer if left on?

I have been working in military electronics my whole about life. We left that stuff on. On and off caused more problems on my systems!!! COTS equipment of today is the same. Lights bulds are apples and oranges!

:beerchug:

If that DAC is getting that hot from being on all the time there is something wrong with it. My SMSL is on 24/7 and is never that hot. Modern electronics in something like a DAC do not generate that much heat when operating edit: o_O properly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom