Troubleshooting CD Players

Look on the disc motor, there will be a manufacturer name and part number. Google the part number and you may find one for sale. The height of the disc table is critical. Before replacing the motor, measure the height with feeler gauges or find some object, a nut, several washers a piece of wood, that just fits between the table and the chassis. Then use a screwdriver against the neck of the table to pry it up. Don't pry against the top or you will warp it. Replace the motor making sure the wires are connected to the same terminals. Apply a small amount of wood glue to the top of the motor shaft to make a non permanent bond. Put your gauge between the table and the chassis and press the table onto the shaft until it hits the gauge.

Disc motors. Most are Mabuchi or Matsushita. The Matsushita motors are crap. The mounting hole center to center is different from the Mabuchi, so if you want to use a Mabuchi you have to drill new holes or elongate the existing holes. The disc motors are getting hard to find even though companies are still making DVD and CD mechs. Go figure.

Great! I'll give it a try. Thank you!
I might as well see if I can cannibalize an Oppo 980h with apparently blown boards....

What is the brand and part number of the motor in the D300SE? Also, how long is the motor shaft? Can you post a photo?

Cheers,
James

What is the brand and part number of the motor in the D300SE? Also, how long is the motor shaft? Can you post a photo?

Cheers,
James
Hi James!
It appears I am getting the refund from the seller.
As soon as I find the time to disassemble the transport I will post a picture anyway.
Meanwhile, I am in contact with someone who is selling a D500SE with an analog output almost impossible to hear, a detached display and a CD tray that won't always open, but the digital outputs are said to be fine.
Sounds like an easier fix...
I have a simple Project Dacbox E, nothing special, and I could just use it as transport (or swap the transport to the D300). It's another 40+shipping...
I will urge the guy to pack it very thoroughly or he can keep it. Otherwise if it is still available there is a CD5 rev.1 nearby. No shipping risks but maybe of lesser level (Sanyo transport vs Sony transport) and maybe not usable for parts swapping with the D300. But it is supposedly still working fine...

Many thanks!
Pasquale

Last edited:
Hi Pasquale,

I asked because I have found that replacement Mabuchi motors for my Denon players are easy to find on ebay (and inexpensive). P/N RF-310T-11400. They have a longer shaft than the original (22mm vs 18mm) and are made in China, but so are the originals.

The ones that I bought look exactly like the originals, so they are at least a good looking copy anyway. ;) I can't give any feedback on how long they will last yet, I've only had them for a month.

Radio Control modelers seem to like these motors so there are plenty of them around.

Good luck and have fun,
James

Thank you guys! It's a Mabuchi RF310T-11400 and looks more like 22 mm than 18!

Attachments

• IMG_6428.JPG
    IMG_6428.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6427.JPG
    IMG_6427.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 29
Thank you guys! It's a Mabuchi RF310T-11400 and looks more like 22 mm than 18!

Very good!

I can't say about ebay.it but there are a lot of them that show up on ebay.de.

Note that when you look closely at the photos in the different entries some of them have labels that look quite different to what your photo shows (which is exactly like mine). I looked around at the different entries and found one that looked exactly like mine. So if nothing else they did a good job of faking the label. :D

Also, pay close attention to the description. There are a number of people selling used motors! So be sure to look that the one that you buy is shown as new! They were also listed in amazon.de but the prices were more than double what I was seeing on ebay.

Cheers,
James

Yeah there's plenty on eBay and they're listed as ...fan motors!
So our precious hi-tech CDPs are span by cheap fan motors? Wow!
I wonder if rpm is something to pay attention to: is 6400 ok?
The new onces are sold from China and would take ages to arrive here!

Last edited:
Apparently you have to check the shaft length when you search for the motor. I thought the part number was specific for the length but it isn't. Here is one that is 22mm. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mic...n-motor-310-motors-DC-motors/32303369481.html
BD Enterprises has good quality KSS-213 lasers. Once you get it working you should buy a spare laser as well. The letter suffix does not matter.
Great!
Yeah, I noticed the length difference. Great price at aliexpress, though.
A D500SE is also coming in next week (safely packaged!). Its analog output is extremely low according to the seller (again 50 euros, but I obtained a refund for the badly shipped D300se) - maybe I'll solve the D500's output problem more easily....?

Last edited:
It's a KSS-213C

For the KSS-240A the installed height of the spindle disk is 19.3mm on my Denon DCD models (top of disk to top of mounting frame). The early plastic disk measures 1.3mm thick, the later metal disk measures 1mm + a 0.1mm step, so 1.1mm thick.
Mounting height minus disk thickness = 18mm distance under the plastic disk, 18.2mm under the metal disk.

The KSS-213 might be the same. Worth checking.

For a puller I bought a model railroad tool:
https://www.fohrmann.com/de/abzieher-fuer-raeder-spur-h0-bis-35-mm-oe.html
They have replaceable tips, and there is one available with a self-centering conical 1.8mm dia.

To get an even pull without bending the disk I cut a support plate from 2mm thick aluminum.

DSC06672.JPG DSC06674.JPG DSC06683.JPG DSC06685.JPG

Cheers,
James

For installing the disk I turned a piece of brass rod on a lathe, drilled a 3mm through-hole, and countersunk the center to clear the disk hub and cut it off, ended up with an acceptable 18.23mm height. File a slot in the underside to clear the motor mounting screws and then cut the thing in half with a hacksaw. Works like a charm.

DSC06693.JPG DSC06696.JPG DSC06697.JPG DSC06735.JPG DSC06736.JPG DSC06737.JPG DSC06739.JPG

Cheers,
James

Wow Bratwurst7s! Thank you! I am amazed and humbled.... I don't think I can do this... I'll reason about your info and see if I can do it somehow, but I fear it's way beyond my kraftmanship capabilities - and all those tools I don't have aren't maybe worth buying to repair the D300se in my case:
I can use any CD transport to connect to my Project DacBox E, but just because I don't want to use the cheapest Philips DVD I have now (not even a display).
So I thought a good old Cambridge Audio like the CD6 I used to have would be enough if I had paid around 50 euros for it (otherwise, it would be better to spend money on a better Dac and use my Macbook as digital source).
Now, if it really is a bent spindle (I'll try to post a video) and changing the motor means I have to through all this, I might as well get the whole transport out of the incoming D500se and mount it in the D300se.... or try to fix the D500's output. Or just use the D500 as a transport connected to my dac.
Anyway, great job and superuseful info, both for me and the whole thread!
Danke Schon!!!

Back
Top Bottom