Trying to decode turn on signal for ma500u's

audionut71

Hi all,
I'm new to AK but have been searching for answers to this issue for more than a year. Does anyone know (or can they find out) what the turn on signal for the Marantz ma500u THX monoblock amps is?

I have the manual to my amp and it lists the AV500, SR-92, SR-82, and SC-80 as having the BUS SYSTEM D-Bus /RC-5 remote outputs (which for some odd reason Marantz chose to use an orange RCA jack for) that will control these amps. I want to build a signal generator to turn these amps on.

If anyone in St. Louis area has one, I've got an oscilloscope that I will bring out to observe the "signal".

Thanks for any help you can give.

Let me expand my search... If anyone within 5 hours of STL (I'm a sales rep and am on the road constantly) has one of the above units and likes free beer, please pm me. I really hate firing these with an outboard turn on device.

Thx,
Audionut71

AN71,
Someone here might be able to help you with the codes. There are folks there who specialize in system integration.

Tom

I guess I'm not being clear here...

I don't need a remote code, the Marantz amps have an RCA jack that receives a proprietary signal of some sort from the surround preamp. I'm trying to figure out what that is.

Just some guesses: RC-5 is an infra-red protocol created by Philips; some of their machines (such a the original CD-R recorder, also sold under the Marantz name) have a hardwired RC5 socket on them too - this lets you activate any function on the recorder via cable remote.
Your equipment may be using the same technique.

If you download something like the Philips SAA3010 chip datasheet, it will give you the exact description of the protocol.
Such a chip would also generate the required signal - you'd just need to pipe it in via a cable rather than an IR LED.

Hi there I am also new to AK and have some MA500 monoblocks. It sucks that I have to turn them on manually. I have even thought about getting an old marantz pre/pro just so I could turn everything on with one button. I have been looking at a Marantz AV-900 for $100 on Craigslist but if got that I would be going backwards. That is I would be getting rid of my Onkyo TX-SR503 and replacing it with an inferior processor just so I can turn of and on my MA500 monoblocks.

Mr. Audionut I wish I could help you out but I'm in a hole of my own. I don't understand RC-5 at all. Some of the other brand Pro/pros have RC-5 inputs on the back of them. Would those work with the MA500 does the MA500 work with anything that has a RC-5 input.

The RC5 jack is a serial control. The code is the same as the IR with the carrier stripped off. Xantech had a model number 794-50 Universal Interface Module that would take IR from one of there receivers and send it out as RC5 see attached. The MA500 and MA700 would lockup a lot when turned on by RC5 and would need to be reset, I don't know about the MA500u. I do know where I can put my hands on at least one of the 794-50. Send me a pm for more info.

Attachments

• 95_794_797.pdf
    93.5 KB · Views: 31
Back
Top Bottom