Ultimate Marantz 7T Restoration Thread

crooner

Tube Marantzed
Hi there fellow AK'ers.

I was contacted recently by member Trucker1964 to restore his mint condition Marantz 7T. Having heard my Marantz 7 as restored in this thread:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ultimate-marantz-model-7-restoration-thread.727823/

He asked me if it was possible to do the same to the 7T.

His 7T is an early version (Serial number in the 11500 range) with a beautiful engraved front panel.

For this restoration, I kept the same philosophy as in my Model 7, with a few interesting twists along the way:

- Siemens film caps replaced with assorted West-Cap mil-spec PIO's. The West-Caps are paper/mylar and thus combine the warmth of the traditional PIO with the extended resolution offered by mylar. Paper caps in the tone control arrays were also replaced with West-Caps.

- Original tantalums replaced with Vishay 135D Wet Tantalum types. These were developed under partial sponsorship of the Marshall Space Flight Center and NASA. Extremely compact and high performance. At nearly $60 each, these are not your traditional tantalum. The Japanese are particularly fond of these for their vintage restorations.

- A state-of-the-art custom made Khozmo 48 step series attenuator with machined aluminum body, hardened gold contacts and Vishay SMD high performance resistors.
It is connected to a stepper motor for remote control.

- Original silicon rectifier bridge replaced with four C3D02060F CREE Silicon Carbide Schottky Diodes. The diodes are mounted on their own small PCB for neatness.

- Power supply also upgraded with modern low ESR electrolytic caps by Nichicon and Elna (Silmic II). Each bypassed by a West-Cap PIO cap.

- Small electrolytics in the signal path (15uF) replaced with Sprague/Vishay 109D Wet Tantalums. Also Mil-Spec and very expensive.

- CL-90 thermistor in the power transformer primary. It reduces the AC voltage from 120V to around 117V, the design center of the preamp. It also provides soft start.

The headphone jack was jumpered to prevent noise issues. Each transistor was removed and pins treated with Silclear silver contact enhancer.

In order to fit the new remote control attenuator, the recording output RAEF board was removed. It turns out this board is redundant in the unit. It is a unity gain buffer (0 dB gain). It was probably added to prevent signal loss when the scope outputs and the recording outputs were used at the same time. A rare occurrence in practice. The Model 7's recording output jacks are un-buffered and I have found this to have never been an issue.

The remote attenuator is powered by small wall-wart plugged into the back of the preamp.

Below is a YouTube video demonstrating the remote control feature:

Listening to it in place of my Marantz 7, I find the sound to be very lush and full bodied, with excellent retrieval of detail. With soundstage and midrange texture/purity rivaling the tubed unit. The output voltage seems higher too. I ended up setting the output switch to the "low" position for proper matching to my pair of Marantz 9's.

It will require a few hundred hours of burn-in to sound it's best. But so far, the results are spectacular!

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.5.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg
08.jpg
09.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool! Need to study it for an hour or two... :)

The 7t is so under rated...even when people are praising it... Its limitations were the low voltage caps of the day back then, we have so much better caps to choose from today.

I used some large square Wima’s poly caps for the feedback Tantalums and coupling caps.... which added a crazy amount of clarity to the sound....

Jk

Very cool! Need to study it for an hour or two... :)

The 7t is so under rated...even when people are praising it...

I used some large square Wima’s poly caps for the feedback Tantalums and coupling caps.... which added a crazy amount of clarity to the sound....

Jk

Thanks!
This thing is imaging with the best of the best right now. And yes, the level of clarity is leagues better than I ever heard from the 4 7T's I have owned in the past. .
After reading Sid Smith's interview in Stereophile, I knew the 7T had potential. He was just limited by the parts choices available at the time.

Honestly I would never tear into a 7c - refurb only, no mods.... so I could never comment on what an all out effort would do to it.

But I just love my modded 7t..... and it only burns 7 watts of power :)

Honestly I would never tear into a 7c - refurb only, no mods.... so I could never comment on what an all out effort would do to it.

But I just love my modded 7t..... and it only burns 7 watts of power :)

I hear you. I happened to come across a 7 that was less than perfect at a perfect price :)
The greatest gains are when bypassing the output level pots and replacing the volume control.

It's astonishing the level of clarity of a good discrete attenuator, not to mention the perfect channel tracking at all levels. Must be heard to be believed!

The icing on the cake is the remote function. No need to get up to adjust the volume with today's digital playlists and recordings varying so much in levels.

Last edited:
Where did you get the remote function? My volume pot is a bit worn....time to consider an upgrade and that look sweet. You remove the tape head amp....which mine is discounted from the PS at his point....

Also, the little full wave rectifier board with the fast recovery diodes is slick and clean too.. who’s is that?

Jk

Last edited:
Where did you get the remote function? My volume pot is a bit worn....time to consider an upgrade and that look sweet. You remove the tape head amp....which mine is discounted from the PS at his point....

Also, the little full wave rectifier board with the fast recovery diodes is slick and clean too.. who’s is that?

Jk

The remote controlled attenuator is made by Khozmo in Poland (no affiliation). The quality is superb. I placed the IR sensor on the pilot lamp opening, so no need to drill any holes.

Actually, what I removed was the recording output board. The tape head amp is the same as the RIAA phono amp, but with the NARTB curve applied. That remains inside the unit.

The rectifier board was posted here by another member a while back. It's available from the Parts Connexion. You can buy it assembled with their Schottkys or bare. I got it bare and stuffed it with my preferred CREE schottkys from Mouser.

Last edited:
Well, you publish that exactly when I begin to plan to restore my model 7t. I will follow your step !

Any reason why you don't use STTH6110TV2 for the diode ? Not enough place?

Well, you publish that exactly when I begin to plan to restore my model 7t. I will follow your step !

Any reason why you don't use STTH6110TV2 for the diode ? Not enough place?

Exactly. You would need two STTH6110TV2's to complete the bridge. I'm sure some creative rearranging could make it happen though. Feel free to give it a go!

I think my choice of CREE Schottkys is at least as good as the STTH6110TV2, IMHO.

I bet the model 15 will be improove in the same manner with these modifications too, has Smith also said the same of it. The 7t was his least liked creation from his viewpoint.

It is so hard to choose components that will not change the voicing of these equipement -for the worst- it is satisfying that someone has knoledgebable as you and Yazaki San take the time and gives very generous the recipe to allowed us to see and know what you've done. Thank you !

Can I ask you a question ? Why don't you beefed up the PSU capacitors ? I remember that Smith talked about that in the article.

I bet the model 15 will be improove in the same manner with these modifications too, has Smith also said the same of it. The 7t was his least liked creation from his viewpoint.

It is so hard to choose components that will not change the voicing of these equipement -for the worst- it is satisfying that someone has knoledgebable as you and Yazaki San take the time and gives very generous the recipe to allowed us to see and know what you've done. Thank you !

Can I ask you a question ? Why don't you beefed up the PSU capacitors ? I remember that Smith talked about that in the article.

The PSU is beefed up. The cap values have increased compared to the originals. Increasing them further would have required completely reworking the power supply circuit. I didn't want to deal with possible turn on/turn off thumps either.

Last edited:
Well you pushed the snowball down the hill again....

I ordered some ultra fast recovery diodes..... to make my own full wave rectifier...... going to hand wire them in old fashioned point to point style.

Well you pushed the snowball down the hill again....

I ordered some ultra fast recovery diodes..... to make my own full wave rectifier...... going to hand wire them in old fashioned point to point style.

Excellent! I think they make a significant improvement in the sound of the unit. Which rectifiers did you choose?

I have the 7T buttoned up and hooked up to my system right now. Smooth as silk!

48386101_10217795995434431_2366021660013756416_n.jpg

Ordered Mur210 and some stt8s06 that I have had hanging around to try.

Haven’t studied the characteristics enough to make up my mind....

Jk

By the way, all the time I spent on looking for upgrades to the original xtors , I was never happy I found something better,,,, actually like the stock ones better.

Maybe need to revisit that, like yours my main unit is a super clean but modified early unit.

After owning it 11 years, I am still blown away by the thoughtfulness of the design, layout and construction. I have a late unit too. Worked on several others, including the middle revision, but my favorite is the early one.

Back
Top Bottom