Under the radar vintage mid wattage receivers??

Here's a photo of my LR-3030. A bedroom unit for me. Always works it's way into my receiver rotation. Mine was also a thrift store find and came with the owners manual. A big yes vote from me on this line....:thmbsp:

Nice! :thmbsp: :thmbsp: :thmbsp:

Think I have the same Sony ES CDP around here.

picked up a sherwood 7250cp over the weekend, haven't had a chance to try it yet, but i've read very good comments on these, rated at 20 wpc, nice looking as well............

Attachments

• IMG_6760.jpg
    IMG_6760.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 65
Yamaha CR-x40 series. Collectors like the CR-x00 and CR-x20 because of the discrete output sections but the CRx40's, even though they use power packs for outputs and drivers, sound really sweet. The TOL CR-2040 did use output transistors, I'm told. Had a 440 and still have a 840 and they sound really good. I keep swapping but somehow the 840 always makes it back into my main set up.

I have a CR840, and am very impressed with it. Not up to my CR2040, but a keeper non the less.
Regards,
Jim

I have a Realistic STA-78 receiver (Korea, 1979) which I use strictly as an analog tuner. Listed at 22 watts per channel, but feels much more powerful than that. Sounds great and looks greater...

Realistic_STA-78_Potter.jpg

That Fisher CA-880 isn't too bad and flies under the radar as BPC (they're also pretty common).

Not to derail the topic but I see BPC mentioned frequently here but I don't know what it means. Can someone enlighten me?

Ok, finally found it! The urban dictionary set me straight.

Last edited:
I have a Realistic STA-78 receiver (Korea, 1979) which I use strictly as an analog tuner. Listed at 22 watts per channel, but feels much more powerful than that. Sounds great and looks greater...

Realistic_STA-78_Potter.jpg

nice, i've come close to snagging a 78, but the right deal just hasn't come along yet, but i did snag a very nice sta-820 this weekend along with four other new to me receivers, me likes.............:thmbsp:

Attachments

• DSC_2175-L.jpg
    DSC_2175-L.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 54
Notice that the Yorx I showed is out standing in its field...

OK, how's this: You're 15, you have ABSOLUTELY NO MONEY! There is an Unclaimed Salvage and Freight not too far from you. Someone gives you this YORX for free! You get an older friend to drive you to the USF above and find a pair of two way 8" air suspension LLoyd's speakers (for $10) that you manage to hook up to the YORX. It's the "best" system you've ever heard in your 15 years and you play your well worn LPs on it till you get to college?

No that did not happen to me, but I'm imagining a scenario that I would have been excited by! lol I was a poor boy, after all.

Actually a friend of mine had a cheap fold up stereo suitcase record player that we did hook up a pair of speakers like the ones described above to, and were momentarily amazed at the improvement! We were 16 then!

cnh2

OK, how's this: You're 15, you have ABSOLUTELY NO MONEY! There is an Unclaimed Salvage and Freight not too far from you. Someone gives you this YORX for free! You get an older friend to drive you to the USF above and find a pair of two way 8" air suspension LLoyd's speakers (for $10) that you manage to hook up to the YORX. It's the "best" system you've ever heard in your 15 years and you play your well worn LPs on it till you get to college?

No that did not happen to me, but I'm imagining a scenario that I would have been excited by! lol I was a poor boy, after all.

Actually a friend of mine had a cheap fold up stereo suitcase record player that we did hook up a pair of speakers like the ones described above to, and were momentarily amazed at the improvement! We were 16 then!

cnh2

Shh, don't you go trying to make sense of things. You'll never convince em. :p

Honestly, the most underrated vintage amp I've come across is the Denon PMA-757/777. I'm sure the PMA-750/770 are comparable/similar - and although I'm optimistic I can't speak to the later PMA integrateds (I do have a 2000R which I need to fix the relay on). But a quick google search tells me Denon gear from the 80's and 90's is rather exceptional, which is why it puzzles me why so many fail to sell on eBay. The Denon PMA-757 sounds better than my completely recapped Pioneer SX-950, Phillips AH-7871, SMSL Sa-36a Pro (cheap modern TPA31182 chip amp), H/K 430... haven't done a direct comparison with my G-9000, but so far it even edges out the 150wpc Kenwood KA-1100SD integrated I just picked up. I've ran it through Spica TC-50's, Snell J/IV's, Pioneer SP-BS22, Heresy's..
+1 on the silver-faced Denons. I picked up a DRA-400 at the local thrift for $20. 40W, has a moving coil option on the phono section. Nice piece.

Back
Top Bottom