USPS rate increase of 1/27/19

First Class Mail for a specific box I ship, 14" x 3" x 3" , almost same weight, increased by 20¢.

Friday was 11.6 ounces, $5.15. Today was 11.4 ounces @ $5.35.

Last edited:
I just did a 6oz FCM coast to coast. Old rate was $2.66 now $3.60 something. I went with Media Mail @ $2.75. Hope the buyer doesn't bitch.

I'll have to adjust my lower end product pricing that I used to do FCM on.

I answered my own question today. Coast to coast for 4 oz FCM is now $3.09 from $2.66.

This was Oregon to Vermont.

Last edited:
Anything over 15 oz. is no longer eligible for First Class Mail, it gets bumped up to Priority Mail, like it or not.
Also, unless it is a heavy package, Priority Flat Rate is far more expensive than regular Priority Mail.

I think you have to have at least 2 lbs of weight to get a better price on Priority Cubic. I had a 1 lb package with both PM and Cubic being the same.

Remember you do get $50 in base insurance with all Priority Mail.

I'm always amazed at the comments when shipping prices are raised by 30 cents. Or even a dollar. It costs me 2 dollars in gas to drive 15 miles to work and 2 more back. I can send a pound across the US, 3000 miles for just a few bucks more than that. I can send or get a 40lb Marantz sent across the county in 7 days for 50 dollars. I drove to San Francisco a few weeks back.. 600 miles each way.. cost me over 270 dollars in gas. Our shipping prices are cheap.. very cheap given what we get for it. Even up to the 80s, it look weeks to get something from east to west unless you spent a pile of cash. I had a friend who was a courier specializing in hand carrying stuff onto flights just to get it across the country in a day. He made really good money till UPS and FedEx started with the overnight and/or same day delivery.

+1 on all of that.

Also wonder how many of the comments are coming from folks that stubbornly insist on paying retail shipping rates when it's so easy to access commercial rates from USPS, UPS, etc.

John

It's not so much the sellers as the buyers getting gun shy and not buying because of the shipping. It doesn't matter to them, nor do they seem to think about it, but $5.00 shipping on a $10.00 item seems outrageous to some folks despite the fact it's going from Miami to Seattle. I pass all my shipping on to the buyer, but it can become a large part of a low priced sale, which is one reason I don't offer free shipping on low priced items.

When I'm shopping at Amazon, shipping is the first thing I look at and if I have to pay shipping for what's offered, I keep shopping until I either find the same item with free shipping or at it's lowest price with shipping included.

It's been three plus weeks of ebay sales and USPS shipping for me. Haven't noticed an change in my rate of sales. Ebay has updated the rates tables for all my listings. It seems the discount for buying postage from within ebay is greater than ever. The spread is nice and helps to defray FFV.

Last week I set out to send a friend a CD UPS Ground in an 8x8x4H box that weighed 1 pound after packaged it was 15 bucks to ship. Didn't happen, not paying 15 bucks shipping for a CD as a gift that was worth like half of the cost to ship.

Last week I set out to send a friend a CD UPS Ground in an 8x8x4H box that weighed 1 pound after packaged it was 15 bucks to ship. Didn't happen, not paying 15 bucks shipping for a CD as a gift that was worth like half of the cost to ship.
Put it in a USPS Priority small flat rate box for half the cost or if time is not an issue build yourself the right size box put it in pad it well and ship media mail for next to nothing

Put it in a USPS Priority small flat rate box for half the cost
Thought about that but possible damage was a concern, but then again I've only ever shipped a few things and what you suggest is probably plenty good enough.

Thought about that but possible damage was a concern, but then again I've only ever shipped a few things and what you suggest is probably plenty good enough.
I have shipped thousands like this with no problems :)

Back
Top Bottom