Vandersteen Model 2 Speakers

Ive got a chance to pick up a pair of Vandersteen Model 2 speakers for $150. The sock needs to be replaced but from what i can tell they are in good shape otherwise. I did find a thread on here about how to replace the sock. My question is what are these things worth once theyre in good shape? I really would like to hear them but dont have the room for a setupnwhere I live now. Thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT: They are Model 2C

Last edited:
A good used pair of Vandersteen 2Ce speakers seems to be worth about $400-600. Are these the 2Ce model, or an earlier one?

I also picked up from a moving sale 2yrs ago for $150....I took the socks off. I like the look of the speaker better.

Did your speakers have the Speaker Stands? These are Sand filled and weigh a ton.....

The back of the MODEL 2
VandM2.jpg

Most all the older Vandy 2 Series speakers use the same nameplate -
you know which model by looking at the Serial Number - see if the numbers are followed by a CI or CE -
older models did not have butyle surrounds on the woofers, just the usual foam, and they are now old enough so the foams have probably failed.
Since its such a paint to get inside speakers like the Vandersteens, I'd probably skip anything before a model 2CI or 2CE.
The newer Signature and Signature II models have a different s/n plate ...

If they are the even older 2C models, I'd probably pass, especially if any work is needed.

Model 2C typically go for $400-500 on Eprey--later versions a little more. I have a pair here waiting to go on the bonfire if no one takes them away. They started out with rubber surrounds on this model, and then went to foam for awhile. I have not pulled the socks on mine (no need to), but have confirmed with Richard Vandersteen that they are rubber (based on serial numbers). They are not bad speakers--just not my cup of tea, so they have been sitting unused for almost 2 years. $150 is a deal if they are in working order, but finding or fabricating stands is a MUST to make them sound "right".

Well I plan on replacing the socks anyways so if the foam needs to be redone that wouldn't be too big of a deal. And please, I will pay you to ship them to me before you toss them on a bonfire haha.

Back
Top Bottom