Vintage Infinity Servo Subwoofer vs modern

swechsler

Frog Whisperer
I have an Infinity SSW-210 that I bought (used) about 9 years ago. It served me well for a while and then stopped working about 1.5 years ago. I recently purchased (cheap!) a second working model on Craigslist, but I would like to set up dual subs in my theater.

My options are as follows:
  1. Get the SSW-210 fixed (about $150-$175) Pretty sure the problem is with the electronics, not the drivers
  2. Replace with a different subwoofer, used or new
  3. Use an external amp (I have several unused) connected directly to the drivers in the SSW; of course I'd lose the servo capability
I'm not looking to spend a lot, and I'm guessing that the cost of repairing the the sub is still less than what a comparable replacement would cost (that's assuming I don't find another cheap 210 or 212 on Craigslist, and I have been watching for a long time). But I don't really have much to go by; I haven't auditioned anything lately. Obviously the third choice is the cheapest and easiest, but I don't know how well it would work. The foam on the drivers still seems good; Infinity apparently used better foam on these than on earlier/cheaper models.

Suggestions?

Photo I grabbed off the net, not mine:

infinity_ssw___212_self_powered_servo_subwoofer___oak___best_ever_made_2_lgw.jpg

I think you answered your own question. Infinity's servo subs were, and still are, very good. You won't find anything that will come close in terms of sound quality and performance for anything near what it will cost to repair your SSW-212.

I wholeheartedly agree with Tedrick. I'm using a pair of the 210s with my bedroom system with Audiostatic 100s, and a pair of the 212s with the main system (with Apogee Duetta Sigs atop them.) I bought a pair of Kinergetics to try with the Apogees, but haven't had time to compare. 2 of mine have had to get the electronics repaired - and functioned perfectly afterwards. I think the woofers themselves are extremely well made and nearly indestructible in normal use, while the electronics have a reputation of failing.

Thanks guys. That's pretty much what I expected, but I know the cost of subs has come down dramatically in the past 20 years. The 210s were originally over $1k each, though, so I guess technology improvements can only go so far.

Back
Top Bottom