Vintage Mopar Owners: Let' see your rides!!

My Mother purchased it new in 1981, with console, bucket seat, CMX package,with a slant 6,"the leaning tower of power", then my Dad drove it to work,50 mile round trip to Detroit every day for years. He blew the motor. I got it from him About 30-25? years ago, changed k member to V8, Swapped out rear axle to a 8.750, with 4:11 posi., Superstock springs, frameconnectors, Built a stroker 360 Small block i think it ended up being a 406 or 408 c.i., 727 trans with all the good stuff, reverse pattern manual valvebody, 3500 stall conv. It runs 12.66 1/4 mile pretty consistent on pumpgas. Its got front runners, and 12" wide slicks in the photo, it looks great with the stock rims to....but goes nowhere on street tires....no traction. Unfortunately it sits in my driveway more than drives anymore, it needs some maintenance. It's been together for 20 years, still runs strong! Sorry for the late response.

Last edited:
Maxx I remember well a maxwedge stage3 that use to terrorize cars in Winnipeg in the early 70,s.Also a 401 gremilin,440 valiant ,350 chev powered vw stationwagen.Friday and sat nights were just like American graffiti.I was 16 and all I had was a lowly 4 door 64 chevelle with a 230 six and 2 speed auto .45 cents a gallon for an imperial gallon of regular or 50 for Sunoco 260 or the likes.Didnt even know there was an energy crisis till I read it in a history book!

Last edited:
I thought you might of been asking why I didn't know there was an energy crisis in the seventies.Short answer didn't have one in WINNIPEG.

I thought you might of been asking why I didn't know there was an energy crisis in the seventies.Short answer didn't have one in WINNIPEG.
Love the story, i miss the good old days, its all good. I can't seem to delete a started post in A.K. so I have to post it to get rid of it.No offense meant.

Growing up my dad was the local Chrysler Plymouth dealer. He always drove the Imperials and my mother some 4 door cars I don't remember. As a kid in the late 60's my favorite cars were the GTX's and Roadrunners. My 1st car was a 74 maroon Barracuda but just being 16 he put 318 2 barrel but still fast enough. Then I started getting a little trouble and he brought home a used 67 cuda fastback with slant six engine. I still loved that car. The good and bad part of being a dealers son you has to trade cars about 5000 miles so they could sell it as a demo. After the 67 cuda I got back in good graces with my folks and had (if I can remember them all) volare, a plymouth arrow (actually a rebadged Mitsubishi) fast little 4 cylinder, cordoba, valiant w/318 fast car and my favorite black sport fury. Around 79 he sold that dealership and bought Pontiac. My 1st pontiac was 80 trans am but by that time EPA had weakened them and the little 301 didn't have much power but still a fun car for a college kid. Then some Gran prix's. Good times

^ I had a 1979 Trans -Am. 400 / 4speed. Pass anything but a gass station. The guy helped me build it used to build his own Nascar's in the 60's.

Here is a pic of my 1969 roadrunner. Had it since 1995. It has a numbers matching 383 and 4sp. I have a 440 machined and waiting to be put in but got side tracked with the stereo equipment. Lol. Hopefully I will get back on track soon.
View attachment 713894

Well I still haven’t done much with the Roadrunner since my last post. That was about 2 years ago. Front end has since been rebuilt. Had the short block sitting for a few years. Going to go with some different pistons and eagle rods with trick flow heads. At least that’s the plan at the end of the year. Parts are so expensive for mopars. One at a time lol.

6F6C9009-7D52-42C7-B42E-99771E57BE38.jpeg 2E1A018D-0427-43E7-81AE-02B33D103A90.jpeg

Well I still haven’t done much with the Roadrunner since my last post. That was about 2 years ago. Front end has since been rebuilt. Had the short block sitting for a few years. Going to go with some different pistons and eagle rods with trick flow heads. At least that’s the plan at the end of the year. Parts are so expensive for mopars. One at a time lol.

View attachment 1198695 View attachment 1198696

I would suggest a long stroke crank, either 4.150 or 4.250, since you are buying one anyway. The extra stroke will shorten the compression height of the piston, so will a longer connecting rod, which will lighten the piston quite a bit. The H-beam rod design is much lighter than the factory rods. It's not hard to knock 500 gms of the bob-weight (4 being bolted to your crank when balancing) for a reduction of 5 pounds of unnecessary spinning weight. Chryslers are easy as ther is no need to notch anything in the block except the area where the oil pickup screws in the block. Even with the longer stroke, you can spin it about the same RPM due to a much lighter assembly and better rod angularity.

Saw one of these at the local burger joint.Looked mint .1989 Dakota Shelby ,less than 1900 made ,one year only and at the time was the fastest highest preforming truck in existence from a manufacturer.So the one I saw today was a pretty rare sight.
800px-1989_Dodge_Dakota_Shelby.jpg

Back
Top Bottom