Vintage turntable repair - nivico

vinylrat

Hello all,
I'm new to the forum - signed up to get some advice. I have a Nivico "Perfect Stereo" turntable that needs to be repaired (or replaced by a turntable that fits in its place).

Do you know of anyone that can assist with this in the LA area? (The cheaper the better, I just got laid off.)

It is the model that has two separate speaker cabinets, one with the tube receiver and turntable and the second one with a reel-to-reel in it.

Thanks for your help!

vr

I don't know of any repair places in LA, but a picture and dimensions would help in figuring what else might fit.

Pix would help to identify it; perhaps it's something common or popular that's been rebranded.

Tom

Nivico is Early JVC and may be a hard bugger to get info on. Probably not a re-brand but maybe.
Theres a place here in Seattle but thats no help to you.

Theres got to be a High end retail shop there that sells Turntables.
You might walk in there and schmooze a little. They probably know a local shop for you.

Stylus

Just got it back from a local shop...they got the motor running and replaced the 'rubber pieces' that had dried up in the engine and needed to be replaced. The unit seems to spin at a steady enough pace, and around the right speed. However, it sounds like something's up with the stylus (even thouh he told me he replaced it). It sounds like there's a ton of dust on it, but it is clean....sound is kind of half distorted and half going in and out. It also sounds like there is clarity missing when I get a steady signal.

The radio in the unit sounds crystal clear so I am making the assumption the tube amp is in good condition and the issue is with the turntable somewhere.

What should I check/do to get this up and running? I really want to use it and not be afraid of ruining my records. I don't want to take it back to the same local shop.

See attached pics.

-vr

Attachments

• 1238442131119 (Small).jpg
    1238442131119 (Small).jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 1238442452529 (Small).jpg
    1238442452529 (Small).jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 1238442462190 (Small).jpg
    1238442462190 (Small).jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 1238442477507 (Small).jpg
    1238442477507 (Small).jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 13
I've serviced that turntable chassis. There are a number of things that get super gummed up in the mechanism. I hope your repair guy was willing to take them apart and clean & lube. Often turntable repair people don't charge enough $$$, and so they wind up skimping on the work.

As for the crappy sound. Look for a horribly misadjusted arm, a super-low-quality stylus, and contamination of the diamond.

Fred

Back
Top Bottom