Walker Turntables - any good ?

The CJ-55 is a belt-driven table with a four point spring suspension. 33&45rpm.

I just recently worked on and heard my first CJ-55. I am impressed. Walker was known for avoiding metals and using more wood in their tables. (Yes, wood has its own resonant qualities, but to me, they are inherently more musical.) Even the subchassis is wood.

Interestingly, they use a wood composite platter system. I replaced the outer platter with the Funk Firm Achroplatter and thought it helped the sound quite a bit. I would describe the sound with the composite platter and felt mat "dull" and the sound with the Achroplatter as "detailed and balanced."

Personally, I was not impressed with the MAS arm at all, which came standard on many of the Walkers. I mounted a Rega RB-250 instead and that really brought the table to another level...certainly near equal to a mid-80's AR with a Rega arm.

I love the walnut veneer finish on the one I worked on...but then again, I have always been a complete sucker for oiled walnut. A CJ-55 on ebay recently sold for $375...and that had the MAS arm.

Oh yeah, gotta love a nice rectangular armboard for those of us who are woodworking challenged.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom